• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Honest opinions please is this team really talented?

Blitz

Rosario can't block to save his life (yah know, one of the major components of being an impact player on a John Fox team)

That is the truth. On the sack that Ware had, Rosario was lined up on that side and wiffed completely. Didn't even bump him at all. If he ever learned to block he would be a true tight end.

Look, this current team has the talent to be IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME. In other words...last season's run.

This team DOES NOT have the talent to do that year in and year out though.

Let's take a look at the Super Bowl champions since 2000...

2000 - RAMS - Amazing pass and run offense led by a great QB

2001 - RAVENS - Stud defense

2002 - PATRIOTS - Amazing offense led by a great QB, great coaching

2003 - BUCS - Stud defense

2004 - PATRIOTS - see above

2005 - PATRIOTS - see above

2006 - STEELERS - Stud defense and great run game with a solid QB

2007 - COLTS - Amazing pass offense led by a great QB, good run game

2008 - GIANTS - Stud defense, solid run game, solid QB

2009 - STEELERS - see above

You'll notice many of these teams pop up more than once. The question is, if Brady weren't the Pats QB, would they have done that well? NO. If the Steelers defense was weak, would they have made it? NO. Would the Colts compete year in and year out without Manning at the helm? NO.

So...to compete YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT (ignore the Ravens, Giants, and Bucs) you have to have AMAZING talent in key areas: QB, run or pass offense, and defense. Remember...you need this if you want to be in the running for many years, not just for a one year ride (see: Panthers in 2003).

Would we be better if Brady were our QB? HELL YES. Would we be better if we had a defense like the Steelers have? HELL YES. Would Manning be able to control the game better than Jake does? HELL YES.

What does all this mean? We have talent here and there, but we've never had a COMPLETE team. Jake is not talented enough to keep us in the mix yearly. Smith damn well can't do it alone. Our defense isn't talented enough right now to do anything really. Our run game though? YES.

But it doesn't matter if we HAVE talent...until we have enough of it year after year after year...we'll always be good one season and piss poor the next. That gamble all falls in two laps...the GM and the coach. They build the team!

Are we talented? Nope.

Do we have some talent? Yep.

No back to back winning seasons, reflects on the coaching staff. Meaning after a losing season you face lesser competition and after winning seasons you face the better teams. We have talent but are weak in key areas that prevent us from winning against the "Big Boys". Only after Bigcat clears house and we rid ourselves of Foxeys Favorites will we take that next step.

QB: No. Correct, we have nobody at this position present or future

RB: Yes. No explanation needed

FB: Maybe. I'd argue we have the present and the future of this position well looked after. Hoover is very good at his job and Fia has the potential.

WR: No. Correct. We've neglected this position. It has a lot to do with the QB though - I still think Jarrett could be a productive player in this league.

LT: Yes. Correct. Not quite a franchise tackle, but not someone you're pushing out the door.

LG: Marginal. Incorrect. Wharton is an all-pro calibre LG. He's a marginal LT due to slow feet.

C: Marginal. Wrong, Khalil is a quality centre.

RG: Possible. Vincent is serviceable. Robinson has the potential to be a very good RG. This position is fine.

RT: Yes. Stud.

TE: No. Debatable. If you're looking for a pass catching tight end, then no. If you're looking for a balanced tight end or a blocking tight end then yes.

RE: Marginal. Disagree, Johnson is a quality prospect. Brayton is a very solid DE.

DT: No. Correct. Lewis is a situational pass rusher. Everyone else is trash.

LE: Yes. Correct, even if Peppers is a *****. Brown has talent too.

LOLB: Yes. Stud.

MLB: Yes. Stud.

Rest of LBs: Not good enough. Disagree. Diggs is a good player. Connor is a talented player. Anderson is a good Cover 2 OLB.

CB: Gamble, yes. Marshall, maybe. Poor depth. Disagree. Gamble and Marshall are both very talented man coverage corners. Neither really suits a zone cover scheme, though they're not helped by now pass rush. The depth is questionable at best however.

FS: No. Agree. He has talent, but he's not producing.

SS: Yes. Assuming you don't want him to cover a deep zone, yes.

Rest S: No. Agreed

Special teams have been terrible. Yes they have. That's a coaching issue.

Answers is bold.

The question was are we a talented team? I'd argue yes, but with a few fatal flaws - we have nobody at the most important position in football (QB - he touches the ball every offensive snap), not even a player than can manage an offence. Nor do we have anyone at DT whilst playing a system that is designed around pressure being generated by the front four.

A good coaching staff would be able to gameplan several wins out of this group of players, but would almost certainly fall short against the best with the disturbing lack of talent at two key positions.

Answers is bold.

The question was are we a talented team? I'd argue yes, but with a few fatal flaws - we have nobody at the most important position in football (QB - he touches the ball every offensive snap), not even a player than can manage an offence. Nor do we have anyone at DT whilst playing a system that is designed around pressure being generated by the front four.

A good coaching staff would be able to gameplan several wins out of this group of players, but would almost certainly fall short against the best with the disturbing lack of talent at two key positions.

i agree with pretty much everything you said though i think rosario is a good receiving TE and barnidge could be given the chance.

the thing holding this team back is coaching and QB. you get an aggressive coach in here and a QB that is not a "brett farve on a bad day" kind of QB but is young and can make decisions quickly and will spread the ball around to the open man (which there usually is) then we are on to something.

i agree with pretty much everything you said though i think rosario is a good receiving TE and barnidge could be given the chance.

the thing holding this team back is coaching and QB. you get an aggressive coach in here and a QB that is not a "brett farve on a bad day" kind of QB but is young and can make decisions quickly and will spread the ball around to the open man (which there usually is) then we are on to something.

I agree thats one of two things that i hate..when it comes to fox coaching..and jake.

1.jake not spreading the ball.he can but he just does not for the entire game.

2.Fox and how loyal he is to vets..IMO we should have been looking at DT for years.but fox stuck with kemo and lewis because they were apart of that 21 or 22 starters stat fox loves to say.

we're not getting everything out of what we have, which isn't to slight Fox - it's that we're not playing well, so it's impossible to say we are. We're certainly not that deep but there's a lot of young talent. We were young last year, and got even younger this year - I think given proper cap room we'd have been able to do more to bolster veteran depth. But we have a lot that should develop.

There are a few standout players on this team. However there are only 1 and possibly 2 that could be considered the best in the league at thier position.

Our best players at their position are.

WR Steve Smith

RB Deangelo Williams

LT Jordan Gross

LB Jon Beason.

Those four can be argued as being some of the best at thier position, but only Beason and Smith are really talked about when discussing the top 2.

To answer the question, we have some superstars, but there is a huge drop from the top 10% of our starters to the next 90%..IMO.

Archived