• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A different view of the 6 sacks on Cam Newton

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, csx said:

There is an open outlet in each of those. Newton doesn't need to search for them when he knows where they will be. The outlet is in almost the same place each time.

The tackles were abused and thats a big issue. He is a 7th year MVP veteran who should be a little better dealing with pressure. Throw towards the open outlet.. .avoid the sack. At least some of them.

Audible to a different play. They aren't carved in stone.

Two points. Cam has been having trouble throwing receivers open. If they are open he seems ok with those. But his anticipation and timing to know when to throw to his receivers is off.  Mostly bc he hasn't had time to develope that feel to know where the receiver will be. 

If you notice we don't get lined up till the playclock is almost at zero. You can't audible if your about to run out of time. 

15 minutes ago, CarolinaSamurai said:

Two points. Cam has been having trouble throwing receivers open. If they are open he seems ok with those. But his anticipation and timing to know when to throw to his receivers is off.  Mostly bc he hasn't had time to develope that feel to know where the receiver will be. 

If you notice we don't get lined up till the playclock is almost at zero. You can't audible if your about to run out of time. 

The second point is a good point.

A few points.

We still have Shula...for some ungodly reason.

Cam is/was probably pressing.

That Buffalo defense is going to be pretty good if they stay healthy.

Our anemic 1st down play, and stupid penalties exacerbate our problems.

Cam needs to anticipate the check down/short routes.  He is under pressure, and CMC hasn't turned yet, but make the pass, and loft it up there and let him find it.

We are too predictable on offense as a whole.  2nd and 1 and you run it for the 1st?  Why not strike some fear in the opponent....but no, we want to grind it out.

Ron is very comfortable winning, and losing, games like this.  Had Zay caught that pass, it wouldn't have changed a thing in his mind, and that's an issue.

4 hours ago, reds37win said:

Cam has the ability to audible,  right? The play designs were completely wrong for the situations given.  That said,  cam should have seen the play and called an audible with some shorter routes. 

McDermott should have been exactly what Shula and Cam thought he was...

Hard to audible when getting to the line to snap the ball with time to king down

even the Cleveland Browns have more rhythm than Shula's offense 

Looks like 3-4 of those sacks could of been avoided. Once again it's on Cam because he won't throw a short pass to a wide open receiver. I just don't understand how a professional QB who gets paid 100 million and has over 5 years of experience can't figure out how to throw a short pass to a wide open receiver.

People are going to hate me for saying it, but we need to go back to basic plays for the majority of our offensive snaps. Bear with me, it's not because Cam doesn't get the complexities, because he can run them. The problem is that in a game like the one in Buffalo, we're relying on a brand new LT, a back up center, a rookie Hybrid RB, a second string TE and a WR3 that is new to the team and a WR4 that is a rookie. A complex play is putting a lot of stress on those parts -- something is going to break down.

In addition, and it has been said before, the team is coming to the line so late in the play clock that we're having trouble getting the plays off. We saw a couple of delays of game and I can't even tell you how many times I saw them snap the ball at the 1 second mark. And it was obvious we weren't trying to milk the clock... we were still trying to get the team set at 5 seconds or less.

Complicated plays take more time for the OC to choose and relay. They also take more time to get proper player packages on the field (compounded by the injury to Olsen in a huuuuge way... think of him being in on 97% of our offensive plays and then having to get Dickson to take over for him and Manhertz to take over for Dickson... most games Manhertz can set his helmet down and chug Gatorade on the sidelines without getting up). Once those plays get relayed to Cam, he's got to try and get them out to the team in the huddle -- some of whom are rookies, some of whom are replacements, some of whom might still be getting the playbook down. This slows it down even more.

After all of this, Cam comes under center and he's got a short period of time to ID the rusher, the coverage and figure out who his hot read will be. He's also got to pay attention to the protection calls his center is making (who is also operating under a short clock and is the back up to our perennial Pro-Bowler).

That's going to lead to sacks, blown plays and 9 points off of FGs. And each busted play can slow down the team a fraction more each time as you have to deal with the inevitable "my bad"s and "I was open"s as the team gets into the huddle.

They should have kept it simple with simple packages, quick and aggressive. Heck, run the no huddle two-minute drill each time you get out there. Three receivers and a blocking back.

But what do I know?

What it all comes down to is the following: 

Sack 1: One progression and hit. All receivers but CMC were running 25 yards down the field. 

Sack 2: All the receivers were running 13+ yards down the field except Dickson who came out late. By the time, the play developed, sacked. 

Sack 3: This one was on Cam. 1st read was to KB but quickly looked off him when he saw the coverage. Should have either gone to Shep or Dickson quickly but didn't. 

Sack 4: All 15 yard routes except Dickson out of the backfield who still wasn't looking for the ball by the time Cam was hit. Could have just took a shot downfield and see if the receiver would win a battle for him but they were all covered tightly. 

Sack 5: No time. By the time the receivers were running to their spot. Cam was getting hit. 

Sack 6: Horrible spacing. 3 WRs bunched up all running deep slants. Shep gets knocked down and Cam tries to create something out of nothing and is sacked. 

So, out of the 6 sacks, I would put Sack 3 and maybe Sack 4 on Cam if you want to get picky. These were horrible play designs/calls and horrible blocking. 

Archived