• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Game etiquette

MasterAwesome

So it appears that the altercation at the game with the fan-on-fan violence stemmed from the aggressor standing all game, which didn’t sit well (pun intended) with the elderly gentleman behind him. Obviously what that punk did was unjustifiable in any way...but I think it does open the door to discussion in regards to proper etiquette at games.

How do/would you guys handle situations in games where you want to stand up and cheer but it upsets the people behind you who prefer to stay seated? I run into this issue more often than I’d like. I’m rather non-confrontational and usually go out of my way to accommodate others beyond perhaps what I should, so I do generally sit down if it bothers those behind me. But what is considered good etiquette at games? Are people justified in standing for the entirety of the game? Only on defense? Only on defensive third downs? Does it change the circumstances if the people behind you are elderly and cannot comfortably stand for long periods of time?  It seems like a tough situation cause you both spent your money and should be able to enjoy the game the way you want to.  I’m genuinely curious as to what the general consensus is about this. I do think we have a relatively mild-mannered crowd compared to many other fanbases, so lots of people seemingly get angry when people stand and/or cheer loudly.

I’m from the Midwest, so I don’t get to go to games in Charlotte very often (2 is all I’ve been to). It is very expensive for the tickets, hotel and travel expenses. So when I go I want to have a good time. I stand a lot during the games, especially when our D is on  a third down. I cheer but I’m never too crazy about it. Both games I have been to, the people behind me always mouth off about me standing up. I don’t get it, your supposed to be up and loud, heck the big screen tells you to do as such.

Maybe I’m being selfish, but the way I see it, i spend a lot of money on the tickets and I want to stand and cheer and be loud for my team. I am not hurting anyone or being an ass, just clapping and watching. 

What that kid did was a douche move and no one should ever do that at a game. It’s supposed to be a fun place not a fight club.

25 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

I’m from the Midwest, so I don’t get to go to games in Charlotte very often (2 is all I’ve been to). It is very expensive for the tickets, hotel and travel expenses. So when I go I want to have a good time. I stand a lot during the games, especially when our D is on  a third down. I cheer but I’m never too crazy about it. Both games I have been to, the people behind me always mouth off about me standing up. I don’t get it, your supposed to be up and loud, heck the big screen tells you to do as such.

Maybe I’m being selfish, but the way I see it, i spend a lot of money on the tickets and I want to stand and cheer and be loud for my team. I am not hurting anyone or being an ass, just clapping and watching. 

What that kid did was a douche move and no one should ever do that at a game. It’s supposed to be a fun place not a fight club.

In your circumstance I agree, but standing the whole game is a little over the top...imo.

I agree.. standing the entire game is quite rude to the person behind you because that person is not going to stand the whole game like you are.. it's ok to stand at big moments or for short periods of time, I would be bitching at someone standing in front of me the whole damn game too.

Standing the whole game is ridiculous and doesn’t make you more of a fan than the guy/girl that wants to sit. Be respectful to others around and consider they to paid a lot of money for tickets, etc.  Standing for 3-4 hours is miserable and I stand and cheer at appropriate times. 

I go to far less NFL games than I use to because there are too many sloppy drunks that can’t handle their alcohol and think they have the right to do or say anything they want just because they have a ticket. 

Archived