• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron Rivera "Honorable Mention Coach of the Year"

PantherNation123

Just now, ras977 said:

Agree.

I believe some huddlers are obsessed with firing Rivera

He does stay with vets too long, he's too loyal to his coaches and can be too conservative.

But, all in all, he has produced.

Bad coaches rarely have winning records. 

Sure there are things I would love to see Rivera do better. But as a life long Lions fan, I have seen what bad coaching can do. Rivera is not a bad coach.

Putting the number one defense in the league on the field is going to get a coach some COY votes.  Its just a fact of life.

And I think that there are many outsiders who think that Ron gets somewhat of a raw deal from the front office.  Outsiders have been saying that Cam needs more weapons, but we seem to be the only franchise that believes the way to give our qb more weapons is to let go of proven players so that we can put unproven ones on the field.   

1 hour ago, Wyank said:

Every coach makes mistakes.  great coaches don't keep making same mistakes.   

At some point in his career, he needs to figure out why we need to waste time outs so we don't get a delay of game.  or proper clock management in general.  how to keep the foot on the gas pedal.

Personally, I believe that is the ONE aspect folks hate. If we actually did go all out for all four quarters. Fans would be willing to over look some of the other things.

If Rivera would just keep the pedal to the metal, for the whole game. Fans would probably be more forgiving of his other faults.

Rivera is not the worst coach in the league (Hello Dirk, Hi Ben, John, etc, etc.).  He's about average to below average.  It's not nitpicking to point out his weaknesses.  He has quite a few and the most concerning part for me is that the same issues seem to continue to come up year after year.  Most have been pointed out by others (Overly Conservative, Poor talent evaluator, bad clock management).

You can't say, "after his first two years" he's made Carolina a perennial playoff team.  The first two years actually do count (McDermott, McVay, Pederson) and this organization has yet to have back to back winning seasons.  Yeah, they made the playoffs in 2014 but not because they earned it.  Shula will ultimately be his downfall.  Ron is a helluva a defensive coordinator, but has yet to prove he's a better than average head coach.  IMO, with the talent level of this team currently, an above average coach could do much, much, more.

Ron has proven over the years here that he knows NFL defense... maybe one of the best defensive minds in the game. But he knows absolutely zip about offense which means he must let Shula make the decisions on that side of the ball... and he is way too loyal to vets on this team who probably shouldn’t have been starting... and of course his in-game decisions which leave a lot of us scratching our heads.

3 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

Personally, I believe that is the ONE aspect folks hate. If we actually did go all out for all four quarters. Fans would be willing to over look some of the other things.

If Rivera would just keep the pedal to the metal, for the whole game. Fans would probably be more forgiving of his other faults.

Now this is something I can agree with. My biggest peeve with Rivera is that he goes conservative WAY too early and often. 2nd being loyal to a fault. You are right in that if he kept his foot on the gas when we are dominating, we would let a lot of those other little things slide (poor clock management, blind loyalty to vets, etc.). It's just so maddening that ANYTIME we have any sort of lead in the 4th, he completely dismisses the gameplan and goes conservative (which constantly leads to blown leads and having to pull one out of our ass in the end). He's not a bad coach, but isn't a great one either. Definition of an average coach.

5 hours ago, PantherNation123 said:

Hilarious article on ESPN, where Rivera gets honorable mention for Coach of the Year, alongside Belichick, Carroll, Tomlin and Mike Zimmer.

I'm by no means an extreme Rivera hater, and I think Shula needs more blame than him... but to say honorable mention Coach of the Year with his outrageous coaching decisions is crazy to say the least... (punting on the 35 yard line when down to Saints, not going for it on 4th yesterday until Cam blew up, and absurdly dumb challenges, just to name a few). 

giphy.gif

in a way that challenge was good. I mean time ran we challenged had both units on field pulled punt team out to force  atl to adjust which in turn made them us a time out but hey it is what it is right?

4 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

true. if this were the case, he'd have a larger winning record and much less close games.

1 hour ago, brandon_87 said:

They clearly go off of records, not off actual knowledge of what's going on within these organizations,  this is the kind of poo that keeps me off ESPN, the fact that this board keeps posting articles from them is unbelievable 

Right.  Its what they perceived this team to be in the off-season versus what the teams record is.  The problem is they are way off with how talented this team is

Archived