• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Newton - Rivera a "lock" to be back

trueblade

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

I would just point to the fact that he hasn't had anywhere near a perfect team but has still found ways to consistently win.

Presuming the Panthers win at least one more game this season, Ron will have had three winning seasons and four losing seasons.

Hardly meets the definition of consistent when it comes to winning.

Ron is mediocre, just like his predecessors John Fox and Dom Capers. 

9 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Presuming the Panthers win at least one more game this season, Ron will have had three winning seasons and four losing seasons.

Hardly meets the definition of consistent when it comes to winning.

Ron is mediocre, just like his predecessors John Fox and Dom Capers. 

Just for fun and laughs,  look up Ron's winning percentage and compare it to some of the revered greats,  much less active coaches, then tell me how mediocre that he is. 

Winning and losing seasons sometimes doesn't tell the whole story. 

41 minutes ago, Dunn said:

Lets see...minimum finishing .500 this year, and if we don't have 3 consecutive losing seasons, I see no end in sight of Rivera coaching this team.  Honestly just get rid of Shula and we may see an improvement.

I suspect part of Shula's problem is he is running the offense the way Ron wants him to run the offense.

The same issue with the OC came up during Fox's time here and when our OC was fired, he was replaced by someone even less competent and our offense continued to languish.

Source of this team's problems is the guy who decided it was a good idea to bring Hurney back as GM.

Before anyone else points out that Im an idiot for making this post - I know.

If we win 1 more Ron will be 4-3 for winning seasons

from https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/RiveRo0.htm

image.png.216302f621d1acd019d740dd5e3cceb2.png

So assuming that 1 more win thats:

4 winning seasons

3 division championships

1 conference championship

I get that people want more but lest at least be honest about the facts

32 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

I suspect part of Shula's problem is he is running the offense the way Ron wants him to run the offense.

The same issue with the OC came up during Fox's time here and when our OC was fired, he was replaced by someone even less competent and our offense continued to languish.

Source of this team's problems is the guy who decided it was a good idea to bring Hurney back as GM.

Yeah part but the lackluster game planning is all on Shula. If Ron could surround himself with more accomplished and solidified coordinators this would be an entire different conversation. But doing that opens up opportunities for them to overtake your HC position when things fail. JR wasn't and isn't going to fire Ron and promote any DC or OC Ron has had under him in his career. It's smart but you're selling the organization and fans short to keep a job you get paid millions to do. Even John Fox was hired after Carolina

4 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Umm, do you know what a "winning" season means?

yeah, that's bad math. We would have 3 winning seasons in 7 years,  if we win another game this year under Rivera. 2014 we went to the playoffs but that was not a winning record.

If we lose out, that means we finish 8-8 and we'd have 2 winning seasons in 7 years. Now THATs a bad look. 

18 minutes ago, beastson said:

Yeah part but the lackluster game planning is all on Shula. If Ron could surround himself with more accomplished and solidified coordinators this would be an entire different conversation. But doing that opens up opportunities for them to overtake your HC position when things fail. JR wasn't and isn't going to fire Ron and promote any DC or OC Ron has had under him in his career. It's smart but you're selling the organization and fans short to keep a job you get paid millions to do. Even John Fox was hired after Carolina

Ron reminds me of Capers and Phillips.  Great defensive coordinators, but mediocre head coaches.

If history is any indicator, Rivera will be signed to another long term contract and he'll be here till the wheels completely fall off the wagon, likely once Cam retires.

41 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Ron reminds me of Capers and Phillips.  Great defensive coordinators, but mediocre head coaches.

If history is any indicator, Rivera will be signed to another long term contract and he'll be here till the wheels completely fall off the wagon, likely once Cam retires.

I'm not even sure it'll take that long.

Archived