• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dave Gettleman Hired By The NY Giants As Their New GM

bobsfoodbasics

giants fans not too happy. 

Today, 04:14 PM
Mara that was way to fast man.....I feel like that was rushed... but I hope he does his job here.....i wanted Riddick but let's see how he does

Today, 04:14 PM
Think it was pretty clear this was going to happen from the beginning. Most fans won't like this because of his history with the team, but given the state the team is in I feel like having a guy who can clearly stabilize them and build them up in the trenches will be a good thing.

I'm not sure how long term a hire it is given he turns 67 next month, so whoever the assistant GM is will be important.

Today, 04:15 PM

Today, 04:16 PM
The more things change. What a joke Mara is

Today, 04:18 PM
They basically keeping the same draft philosophy, this is such a bad hire....
Today, 04:20 PM
67 year old company yes man
Today, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by barran21 View Post
They basically keeping the same draft philosophy, this is such a bad hire....
Pretty much this is the “house cleaning” from Mara.
More like sweeping around the fridge and calling it a day. 

Marc Ross will be back, and all the same faces in the scouting department. 
oday, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by primetime View Post
Chris Mara got his I have one hand tied behind my back GM. I am not surprised at all.
Today, 04:23 PM
****???? Why???? Does he want to waste another 5 years of screwing up drafts and contracts and end up with another terrible coach
Today, 04:24 PM
Gettleman is a good talent evaluator and knows how to build a team, i.e. OL and pass rush first. So for that aspect I am happy.

That being said, the reasons behind his firing in CAR are a huge red flag. His age is also a negative.
Today, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by Kovalchuk71 View Post

That's what I was thinking. He built a solid roster in CAR.
Really, like who? 
Other than Trai Turner and Kawann Short. 
Today, 04:29 PM
Mara is a worthless piece of all talk trash. He talks about change and goes right back to the old, literally and figuratively. Great idea, let's pick up another teams trash. He may no be good enough for Carolina but he's good enough for the Giants! I really need to cut my ties with this team, I can't keep tolerating this horses *** for however many more years he's alive.
Today, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post
What is so terrible about this hire? Just because he didn't get along with a few players in Carolina?
It's not that, they hired a yes man, they hired Chris Mara's yes man, the team won't change, their draft Philosophy won't change, just an example, this is a team that hasn't drafted in decent LB in over 20 years, we go from LT, to forgetting the position even existed, Dave Gettleman will just bow to his master and they will keep the same ****ty philosophy in place, some people have no idea how bad this move is, we can only hope the new coach is good to hide the Chris Mara garbage drafting philosophy.

18 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

Maybe Gettleman has learned from his mistakes here in Carolina, and will be good for NY. Didn’t like him here, but I wish him success 

Who knows. We do know OBJ won’t be the highest paid player like he wants to be. Wouldn’t shock me if Collins is gone as well. The Dollar Tree is hitting New York New York, baby!

Hurney needs to get on the phone day 1 of the offseason and offer Dave is boy Shaq for Landon Collins.

Shaq has 2 years left (Assuming 5th year option is picked up) while Collins is only under contract for next season.

Dave can get his luxury pick back and we can finally get a safety (a position Dave doesn’t care for too much). 

7 minutes ago, frash.exe said:

1. that sounds like a mike shula problem. gettleman cannot really meddle with the play design, or even fire shula since he’s no longer the GM.

2.http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2017/03/13/carolina-panthers-matt-kalil-contract/

You're better than this bro.

Our spats over the last few months aside. I would think we could agree that beyond the stupid Gettleman vs Hurney narratives that only ever go one way, Gettleman was not without some serious faults that honestly are still costing this team even right now. We need better than the JR stamped status quo that still hasn't brought us back to back winning records. That means better than both Hurney, and Gettleman.

1 minute ago, *FreeFua* said:

Hurney needs to get on the phone day 1 of the offseason and offer Dave is boy Shaq for Landon Collins.

Shaq has 2 years left (Assuming 5th year option is picked up) while Collins is only under contract for next season.

Dave can get his luxury pick back and we can finally get a safety (a position Dave doesn’t care for too much). 

Jesus, I'd make that trade in a heartbeat. But damn, that'd probably put Dave's ass on the hot seat immediately.

1 minute ago, AggieLean said:

I hope they have a solid LT in NY. Protecting Cam was always an issue while he was here, and he handed out a terrible contract to Kalil.

Ereck Flowers is an atrocious LT. I think he could make a solid RT but he's not even close to having the quickness to handle the LT spot. They set him up to fail even thinking about putting him there.

Hey, I don't know how it will work out for the Giants, but I'm excited about this for two reasons.

1. Vindication for DG after his unceremonious, unjustified and unexplained firing by Jerry. He deserved better after helping get the Panthers some solid success.

2. The NFL is better with Dave a part of it.  Looking forward to more DG press conferences!!!!

Archived