• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Zero Percent

Jeremy Igo

18 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Hurney had nothing to do with this you best believe that.

You would be totally wrong. Hurney is in charge of all football decisions. Who else? I thought the consensus was that Rivera needed encouragement to pull the trigger. Who exactly would that be.

4 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

You would be totally wrong. Hurney is in charge of all football decisions. Who else? I thought the consensus was that Rivera needed encouragement to pull the trigger. Who exactly would that be.

No GM in the league has a say on assistant coach hires. Those fall under the head coach.

That's the reason why when Gettleman was asked about then ST Coach Richard Rodgers, he said "That's a Ron question."

Voth confirmed that Gettleman suggested that Ron should fire Shula and Dorsey last year but Ron said no. It was his decision to make.

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

Speaking of things that will never happen.

It would never happen if JR was here. I'm not saying I don't wish Dave was here but a unchained Hurney is better than a meddling JR with a Hurney front man. No way Shula would have been fired if JR was involved. 

36 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I think you are right but I will go one further. So far he has been great. He is surely the one who told Rivera what to do. And Shula and Dorsey being fired is about Cam and his future. Dorsey and Shula for all their positive attributes couldn't change Cam's mechanics and tendencies such as to always bail to his left when under any pursuit which limits his accuracy throwing away from his body.

We know we need to move him to a pocket passer as he gets older. Shula and Dorsey couldn't do it. So we need to bring in an offensive coordinator who commands Cam's respect  and a quarterback coach who can be both mentor and taskmaster demanding consistency. Hurney pulled the trigger now because he has to determine if Cam can make the transition to a more traditional pocket passer who can make all the throws. You would think as smart and athletic Cam is that he should be able to make the transition easily. Otherwise Hurney has to decide if Cam is still worth  20-25 million a year as he ages into his 30s.

A post we can both agree with. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

No GM in the league has a say on assistant coach hires. Those fall under the head coach.

That's the reason why when Gettleman was asked about then ST Coach Richard Rodgers, he said "That's a Ron question."

But the GM has to sign off on the move and is certainly going to weight in with their opinion. When Gettleman said it was a Ron question, that was in deference to their relationship and whose duty it is to make the call, and inform his staff and so forth. Gettleman you can be sure had his finger in the decision given his future is tied to the team's record as well. 

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

Don't think for a moment NT instigated this.  This is all Ron, you best believe that.  It's not a tactical move perse just survival instinct kicking in.

More like a "look at how I'm changing" move when he's not really changing.

I had one full day of hope that Ron, in firing Shula, might have seen the writing on the wall.  I don't think so now.  Ron is Ron and what we're likely to see under the Turner Nepotistic Regime is the same ol' Run-Run-SAVEMECAM! offense.

Because Ron Rivera.

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

But the GM has to sign off on the move and is certainly going to weight in with their opinion. When Getyleman said it was a Ron question is deference to their relationship and who duty it is to make the call, and inform his staff and so forth. Gettleman you can sure had his finger in the decision given his future is tied to the teams record as well. 

Again, this is not just us. GMs only have say in the hiring of the head coach. They may sign contracts, but that's it.

Interfering in assistant choices is a quick way to cause friction with your head coach.

24 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

His encouragement comes from the sell of the team.  Everyone is auditioning for a job.  Marty is an innocent bystander so to speak.  He's gone no matter what, you know that.

Archived