• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wait, Jerry Richardson’s Grandson Is The Panthers Pro Personnel Director?

bobsfoodbasics

1 hour ago, X-Clown said:

Wasn't doubting that he was. Just pointing out that his bio omits that fact.

And Richardson getting an award from the Fritz Pollard Alliance? That's a story I missed. Wonder how they feel about it now that he's had to sign a non-disclosure agreement for using racist language toward a black employee. Then on top of that, is in the process of shafting three qualified black candidates so he can continue to pay Marty Hurney.

Related: Gantt recently pointed out that the actual reason he parted ways with Bill Polian was so he could make his son Mark team president instead.

Richardson getting rid of someone highly qualified so he could promote someone less qualified but who he liked better... Anyone see a pattern here?

3 hours ago, bobsfoodbasics said:

From a PFT article on Gettleman hiring former Panthers director of player personnel Mark Koncz:

What a joke of a franchise!

And people said working with Gettleman was difficult...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/08/dave-gettleman-bringing-former-panthers-lieutenant-in-to-consult/

Lol...unwad your panties

Beware false charges of nepotism - or the belief that family connections are automatically disqualifying.

My oldest son, when he was growing up, got a full scholarship in soccer to a school I had coached at - having had no other offers. There is no doubt that without my connections, there would have been no scholarship - anywhere. However, that's more of a reflection of soccer's abysmal scouting network in this country than his ability level...he went on to excel in NCAA and ended up having a four-year pro career (MLS and later the 2.Bundesliga).

My youngest son, who actually posts at the Huddle as well, has had some real opportunities this year (his senior year) as a backup quarterback, despite his extremely short height for the position (somewhere between 5'4" and 5'5" at this point), and a lot of the parents around the team assume it's because of my NEFARIOUS INFLUENCE. In reality, his coach and I are barely passing acquaintances, and all of his teammates have always known that he belongs, because he has shown it in practice. He's one big growth spurt away from walking onto a college team and blowing people away. He's got It. (Love you, Tomás!)

So, sometimes there's more to the story than you know. And sometimes that family connection is just a leg up that a genuine talent needed to get seen. And yeah, sometimes that leg up gets a genuine talent advanced faster than other genuine talents...such is real life, comrade.

11 hours ago, Snake said:

And we wonder why we draft so terribly. 

Actually we draft fairly well, when one looks at it objectively and compares to how other teams. do.  Drafts are always crap shoots, and if 1/3 of the players you draft are still around 4 years later, then that is average, or maybe slightly above.

Article from two years ago that ranks us as the best drafting team.

https://nypost.com/2016/04/24/ranking-from-1-32-the-nfls-best-teams-at-drafting/

Article from last year that has us #2

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/nfl-draft-performance-grades-best-drafting-teams-picks-classes-2012-2016

It goes back 5 years, which includes Hurney's last draft.  Ironically, he had two of the best and two of the worst.

I think our fans tend to think we draft poorly, because they don't compare to how other teams. do.  Fwiw, we are far better at drafting than at signing free agents.

17 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

11 hours ago, Snake said:

And we wonder why we draft so terribly. 

I think our fans tend to think we draft poorly, because they don't compare to how other teams. do.

Our fans think we draft poorly because we didn't draft who they wanted.

Archived