• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers releasing K Coleman according to Rapoport

Captain Obvious

Yeah, Dave was always adamant about how timed speed didn't matter to him. He was all about the speed he saw on tape.

That approach created one of the slowest overall WR corps and secondaries in the NFL. He always talked about looking at the whole picture and considering all the information, yet was utterly dismissive of workouts. I agree that GMs should value game tape over all else, but when guys run like they're wearing cement boots it's a big red flag.

21 minutes ago, TheRed said:

I don't think anyone here would try to argue that Gettleman lacked the intellectual chops and extensive background in all things football. Look how many years he's been in this. Of course he lives and breathes football. We've all seen the press conferences and the sound bytes. He is a guy who commands attention with his presence, he has charisma. But unfortunately that can be good and bad. Which leads to discussion of his ego. I think most of the bad from the Gettleman era stemmed directly from his penchant to be the smartest guy in the room, to the detriment of himself and the franchise.

With all this in mind it should be unsurprising to anyone familiar with the team that Dave and a curmudgeon like Jerry who asked people to refer to him as "mister" finally had enough of each other.

As for Hurney, not much needs to be said. He shouldn't be GM. We could do worse I guess if we're looking at a team like the Browns or other bottom feeders, but we could do a lot better.

I'm just hoping that the core we still have in place can maybe drag this team to the postseason again.

people keep talking about his ego and i just don’t see it. maybe it’s a regional thing, maybe the fact that i’m from new jersey and have spent my entire life residing here makes me unbothered by the way he delivers answers or makes statements.

i do know that players have egos. steve smith definitely has one. so does deangelo williams. and both players became absolutely consumed by their egos.

15 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, Dave was always adamant about how timed speed didn't matter to him. He was all about the speed he saw on tape.

That approach created one of the slowest overall WR corps and secondaries in the NFL. He always talked about looking at the whole picture and considering all the information, yet was utterly dismissive of workouts. I agree that GMs should value game tape over all else, but when guys run like they're wearing cement boots it's a big red flag.

with gettleman we definitely saw a deference to older more sure-handed veteran receivers in FA which would reflect the football knowledge he looks for, but it should be noted that he also brought ginn here who turned out to be a big hit for downfield speed. he also had hands like phonebooks covered in motor oil.

37 minutes ago, frash.exe said:

people keep talking about his ego and i just don’t see it. maybe it’s a regional thing, maybe the fact that i’m from new jersey and have spent my entire life residing here makes me unbothered by the way he delivers answers or makes statements.

i do know that players have egos. steve smith definitely has one. so does deangelo williams. and both players became absolutely consumed by their egos.

I don't mean ego as in he's walking everywhere slapping people in the face with his dick. I mean ego in terms of manifesting itself in stubbornly forcing the same philosophy at all costs. I don't know what you attribute it to unless you are suggesting the gaffes the last two years are just ignorance on his part. He doesn't strike me as someone that lacks intelligence. I think it was a matter of being unable to get out of his own way at times in dealing with certain personnel moves when things got difficult. He also went overboard with the hog mollies to a fault.

I'm mostly beyond the Steve Smith thing. He's been gone long enough. I don't even hold that against Gettleman on the whole. One day it was going to happen regardless. I do from time time wonder what could have been though.

Williams lost it completely after his mother passed. I honestly feel bad for him. Money can't buy happiness.

All players have egos to a degree. But they aren't in charge of helming a franchise. Seems like a bit of an apples to oranges comparison.

2 minutes ago, TheRed said:

I don't mean ego as in he's walking everywhere slapping people in the face with his dick. I mean ego in terms of manifesting itself in stubbornly forcing the same philosophy at all costs. I don't know what you attribute it to unless you are suggesting the gaffes the last two years are just ignorance on his part. He doesn't strike me as someone that lacks intelligence. I think it was a matter of being unable to get out of his own way at times in dealing with certain personnel moves when things got difficult. He also went overboard with the hog mollies to a fault.

I'm mostly beyond the Steve Smith thing. He's been gone long enough. I don't even hold that against Gettleman on the whole. One day it was going to happen regardless. I do from time time wonder what could have been though.

Williams lost it completely after his mother passed. I honestly feel bad for him. Money can't buy happiness.

All players have egos to a degree. But they aren't in charge of helming a franchise. Seems like a bit of an apples to oranges comparison.

Yep, way too many players have come forth with very similar stories regarding Gettleman. You can do your job without being a complete asshole about it.

Ive been calling for this for forever and plenty of huddlers disagreed with me. Im glad this finally happened. Coleman was good for 1 year when he had Norman shutting down one side of the field. Hes sucked since then, especially last season he was on pretty much every opponents highlight reel against us. 

My thought on the ego thing and Gettelmen was (and not that It's true but how it seem from the outside) his penchant to trust his scouting over anything... He cut whole position groups and felt like he could replace them in 1 off season.. Way to many times.. Which constantly killed momentum coming off a great year.. We go 13 and 3 and he just let the whole WR Corp walk?? Then he felt so strong that Byron Bell and Nat Chandler were starting tackles?? So you go from building something to Cam throwing to a rookie and 4 jags... While avoiding getting killed from left handed Byron, Chandler and some big German Goof... 

We come off a Superbowl season and Again he tries to flip the whole Secondary and play all rookies .. It just felt like He could not only replace 1 or 2 players in his mind.. But a whole position group and we would be fine...

But like red said.. He still earned the right to have at least 1 more season..

Archived