• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Competition committee member "Kickoffs face elimination "

trueblade

55 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

You like to watch teams like Alabama get placed in the championship every year after beating up on high school JV teams all season? 

College football has way more issues than the NFL.

Glad someone else gets it 

46 minutes ago, Gregg S said:

So, I guess that would take away a teams ability to try an on-side kick if trailing at the end of a game with a chance to win if they can get the ball back.  

Well, that takes away any excitement, huh?

This is what concerns me most about that potential change.  While they aren't common, onside kicks have been an integral part of some fairly exciting games.

8 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Kickoffs statistically are no more dangerous than any other play. Go back before all the rule changes. #ForTheBrand

this is just straight up misinfo. studies have shown that kickoffs account for almost a quarter of all concussions.

Football is a dangerous sport. That's the reality of the game. Quit trying to change it to make it safer, just let it be what it is. If some don't want to risk their bodies then they can make that choice. It does so much good for the vast majority who play it that it far outweighs any possible health issues. There really isn't any need at all to make the game safer.

7 hours ago, rodeo said:

this is just straight up misinfo. studies have shown that kickoffs account for almost a quarter of all concussions.

Yet despite the rule changes they made last year, concussions were up.

Some of the stuff the NFL tries to "fix" things winds up backfiring on them.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's also been said before by many former players that if guys would use proper tackling technique instead of trying to get on the highlight reel shows by making a big hit, there would be less concussions.

I believe this to be fact.  It starts at age 5-6.  I would be willing to bet that you could go to any rec league / pop warner practice and you will see some goon losing his shiz in excitement over how hard little Johnny just hit poor Will in the head.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's also been said before by many former players that if guys would use proper tackling technique instead of trying to get on the highlight reel shows by making a big hit, there would be less concussions.

Absolutely overall that would make a huge difference but sometimes it's just random plays. Luke has as good of tackling technique as anyone and he's had 3 concussions now.

17 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

Absolutely overall that would make a huge difference but sometimes it's just random plays. Luke has as good of tackling technique as anyone and he's had 3 concussions now.

Granted. Plus there's also the fact that while for the most part, you can control  how you hit someone else, you can't control how they react, or how they hit you back.

On that topic, I still don't know how Josh Norman came out of that Giants game without a massive concussion.

Archived