• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PSA: Gaulden is not a "CB converted to S"

Rags

24 minutes ago, Rubi said:

Even if a GM waned to roll the dice on a player, hopefully there’s at least one physical tool that the player excels at. 

So Gaulden played a couple positions in college...ok?? How does that translate to the next level when the skill position players coming at him are better athletically? 

Not trying to rag on the kid, it’s more of a criticism of Hurney than it is Gaulden. 

I honestly get what you're saying, but 40 times don't always tell the whole story.

He obviously plays faster than 4.60, and not everyone who runs a 4.40 plays that on the field.

We survived with Roman Harper as out SS and he got by on his knowledge alone. Gaulden is faster and more physical than when Roman Harper played for us.

Add into the fact that S is a position that has a longer lifespan than most other positions in the NFL (DeAngelo Hall played Saftey last season, Eric Weddle is still playing saftey, and hell Mike Adams played Saftey for us last season and was arguably our best DB.), I'd personally take a saftey with average athletic abilities and high knowledge and intangibles compared to a saftey that's pure athletic ability 

On top of all that, don't know what he weighed then, but in high school dude play 4th nationally in the 4x400 relay. Dude has some athletic ability.

He's, unfortunately, the one headscratcher for me in our draft. I'm hoping the best and proves doubters like me wrong, but his athletic testing is below average in almost every metric, 40-time, 3-cone, vertical, etc. His 40-time pro day was even worse than his combine. (Combine - 4.61 - Pro-Day - 4.69). How does that happen on a bias field?

3 hours ago, Rags said:

Yes, I know HS is different than the Pros, however it's not like he's completely alien to the position. That's all I mean.

The way he talks about how playing nickel made him more aware of everything on defense in general gets me pumped 

No, that's not what you said. You said if anything, he's a Safety who converted to nickel. 

And just curious. Are the people who are calling Butch Jones an idiot because he failed at Tennessee, the same ones that are defending Hurney, even after he previously failied with the Panthers?

48 minutes ago, Pi = 3.1SHutYoMouth! said:

He's, unfortunately, the one headscratcher for me in our draft. I'm hoping the best and proves doubters like me wrong, but his athletic testing is below average in almost every metric, 40-time, 3-cone, vertical, etc. His 40-time pro day was even worse than his combine. (Combine - 4.61 - Pro-Day - 4.69). How does that happen on a bias field?

Sometimes measurables confirm what you see on the field and other times doesn't. That is why you need everything combined to make your decision. What makes Gaulden worth drafting is his production on the field. You look at him and say he is average in a lot of ways to other guys. But you notice he is always where he needs to be and involved around the ball. You see a guy who gives it a hundred percent and has a chip on his shoulder. Reminds me of Mike Mitchell. Gaulden has a nose for the ball and great instincts. Tangibles that make at least ordinary with the possibility of extraordinary. 

3 hours ago, stbugs said:

What safety emerged? I don’t recall any good safeties coming out of Tennessee. It doesn’t say much for a third rounder who isn’t fast that he had to switch to CB because he got beat out by a better safety. That doesn’t scream NFL starter. 

All I know is that some considered Gaulden to be their best player on defense last season. That says something. It's not like we're talking Polk High.

Archived