• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Surprise Rookie Impact Potential

SetfreexX

Let's only include the 3rd through 7th rounders in this discussion, who do you all think has the most potential to have a surprise impact as a rookie...

I'm going with Andre Smith & Marquis Haynes, everything I've gone back over and looked at for these two tends to ''pop'' more than the other rookies from this class, and when I look at some of the immediate needs LB depth, and pass rush I think these two have the biggest chance. 

Smith was lauded as a 3rd round talent, and injuries set him back, Haynes was a very productive pass rusher at Ole Miss, and size (6'2 / 235) saw his stock drop. Even with that said I like what I saw out of these two the most. 

8 hours ago, hepcat said:

All the draft picks past Ian Thomas will be lucky to even make the roster.

Based on?  Both of these two players appear to have an ability that was overlooked.  Linebacker and DE is a position of need and while they may only play special teams I doubt we try to stash them in the PS.  Especially if they do well in preseason.

Those later round picks are selected because they have potential to become solid contributors.  Most won't develop into a contributor till after their rookie season.

16 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Based on?  Both of these two players appear to have an ability that was overlooked.  Linebacker and DE is a position of need and while they may only play special teams I doubt we try to stash them in the PS.  Especially if they do well in preseason.

Those later round picks are selected because they have potential to become solid contributors.  Most won't develop into a contributor till after their rookie season.

Go look at the Panthers draft history and tell me the percentage of players in rounds 4-7 that were even on the roster after 3 seasons.

I've got Gaulden.

Most fans are sleeping on this kid. While he doesn't have speed, he has what you want, in a smart, very capable football player. 

I don't expect his to be a starter at the beginning of the season, but I believe he'll get playing time, and show us why he was selected over other guys.

Archived