• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will an 8-8 team make the NFC playoffs?

pstall

I sure hope so. Before I heard the news on Kris Jenkins I thought the Jets game looked more winnable.

So a mini look ahead on some winnable games.

Bills. Jets, Bucs, Fins and Falcons at home.

Hope for a split with the Saints but that will be a tall order.

Based on the above that puts the Panthers at 7 wins. Yes this is all speculation.

They will have to steal a game either vs Arizona, Giants or Minny at home.

9 wins would be much better of course.

Pretty unlikely. It would take the Saints and Falcons cleaning up against the NFC East (I don't think the Falcons are going to miss the playoffs), and the NFC West wiener...er, winner picking up a few wins against better teams in the wildcard hunt.

I definitely think it's more likely than a usual year that 8-8 could pull a wildcard, but we are talking about 12% likely rather than 5% likely. 9-7 could very well pull the trick this year though if the Division winners dominate, and the AFC chips in.

This is where those early NFC losses will hurt them, I would think that most 8-8 teams that make the playoffs have most of their losses coming from their non-conference schedule.

And there are so many teams with the potential to go 8-8 in the NFC (GB, Dallas, etc.) that I think the Panthers would to win more than that.

Well, on top of likely being third ranked in the division we will have to beat out the bears at least by virtue of NFC record and finish with a higher overall record than either the eagles or cowboys, whichever one finishes second in the east since they hold a tiebreaker against us.

I don't think so. These teams are locks IMO

New Orleans

Atlanta

Minnesota

New York Giants

(NFC West Winner)

That leaves 2 slots left (1 available slot for the panthers to take) for these teams to compete for

Arizona

SanFran

Dallas

Philly

Green Bay

Chicago

Carolina

unfortunately, Dallas and Philly own tiebreakers over us, and our 3 losses are to NFC opponents which will bite us in the arse down the road.

Archived