• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We should seriously think about trading Funchess for a competent Guard.

Snake

1 minute ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Funch would have to improve a helluva lot to “be gone next year anyway”. No team is throwing a substantial contract at him otherwise. Except maybe the giants. 

You must not have been paying attention to the sheer madness that was this off-season's WR free agency.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You must not have been paying attention to the sheer madness that was this off-season's WR free agency.

I have a bit. But Funch has shown even less, it seems to me, than those guys. I haven’t looked up any stats or anything, and maybe I missed some contracts but even as overhyped as cooks is, he’s done a lot more than funchess. Watkins has done more, it’s just he’s been injured a lot. Can’t remember any other mega deals for WRs off the top of my head. 

27 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I have a bit. But Funch has shown even less, it seems to me, than those guys. I haven’t looked up any stats or anything, and maybe I missed some contracts but even as overhyped as cooks is, he’s done a lot more than funchess. Watkins has done more, it’s just he’s been injured a lot. Can’t remember any other mega deals for WRs off the top of my head. 

Another year of decent production and Funch gets 10+ million I think. If Sammy Watkins who is mostly a name can get 16 mil off of two productive seasons, 10 might be low for Funch on the open market when teams are always willing to blow money. Funch last year was only a notch or two below Sammy's best year (3 years ago) and without the injury history. I don't like the numbers we'll have to spend, but we're going to have to pay to keep him. 

Trade Funch straight up for a starter on OL? Nope. Not happening even if someone would consider it. Look northwards, no matter how much you hate them. Watch what BB and Josh do to compensate for the loss of Solder and you might get an idea of how to plug OL holes competently in a pinch. Of course, when your QB only holds the ball of a max of 1.87 seconds, and has been deadly accurate/cold as ice (or hot as fire, depending on how you look at it), for nigh on two decades, and still at peak performance, that might be a factor worthy of consideration, but Norv gonna take care of that, right? OL is a problem, and was a significant one even before DW went down today. WR is not a big issue this season, at least not as much as in recent years. 

PS - I'd be fine with Bersin back as a #4 if we lose a brighter prospect(s) in camp. Hate all you want. You can't put up stats if your number isn't called, but when it was, the numbers spoke for themselves. Money on 3rds and a decent ST guy (unless you put him in to be a PR...LoL), but we definitely have that covered now....deep, at least on paper.

PPS - You can forget about CMC running more between the tackles, which was a really dumb idea to begin with. Not who he is (in the NFL behind / our OL). I love the kid...used properly, but that ain't it. Behind a decent line with thoughtful play design/calls, no reason he's not potentially good for 1300 to 1500 AP yds.

We have no idea what we have at WR this year in terms of proven talent on our team and Funchess is basically the only one we know that can get poo done. All the other WRs are hypotheticals filled with hopes and dreams.

Funchess is also the only WR on the roster that's above 6'3''. 

We have some solid guys with playing experience. This is the first time in a while where our receiving corps actually looks good, let's wait and see how the line does and what happens with cuts before doing anything crazy. Moton could be a complete gem for all we know. It's not like we all expected Williams to be an all-pro at this time last year. 

We are not trading our only big WR on the roster for a guard.

Funchess is in his contract year. He will ball out this year. While people are high on Moore rightfully so, Funchess is still the best WR on the team. He will have a pro bowl year, mark my words.

Archived