• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Create $5.1m In Additional Cap Space By Converting Luke's Salary Into A Signing Bonus

bobsfoodbasics

1 hour ago, Saca312 said:

Woah Hurney doing things that benefit the cap instead of waste?

I like this Tepper era.

Is it possible that Marty's terrible decisions in his first term as GM were more due to a micro-managing owner than actual incompetence. I have to admit that since he came back, he has made some pretty good moves. 

3 minutes ago, UpstatePanther said:

Is it possible that Marty's terrible decisions in his first term as GM were more due to a micro-managing owner than actual incompetence. I have to admit that since he came back, he has made some pretty good moves. 

It is probably more likely that Hurney's time on the couch allowed him to reflect on his mistakes during his first stint as our GM. 

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Ideally we roll with Moton and Williams when he returns. That sets us up very, very well for the future and allows us to just add depth.

But who do we roll with UNTIL Williams returns is the inescapable question.

I've been hearing chatter by Panthers beat folks who have ears to the ground that Williams maybe could be back as soon as after the bye (thus not go on IR at all). Right now Moton is our ONLY uninjured OT.  Can you rely on Sirles' or Matt for week 1? Even if you do, who is depth behind them?

OT situation is critical.

DB situation also a concern, but a secondary one. ( Forgive the pun!)

8 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

I've been hearing chatter by Panthers beat folks who have ears to the ground that Williams maybe could be back as soon as after the bye (thus not go on IR at all). Right now Moton is our ONLY uninjured OT.  Can you rely on Sirles' or Matt for week 1? Even if you do, who is depth behind them?

Im exciting at having Moton at LT and Williams at RT when he comes back. The earlier he can come back the better. 

4 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

Oh there is no question about that. We simply HAVE to add another OT. 

I just don't buy spending $5-10 million to bring in any offensive lineman at this point in the season. Unless you're talking about an absolute freak athlete at the position like Trent Williams or Lane Johnson, most lineman are big slow guys who just do everything they can to get their fat bodies in-between the ball carrier and the actual athlete on defense trying to tackle him. Teamwork, chemistry, and familiarity with the offense is generally way more important for the offensive line then individual talent. No one we overpay to bring in now will be able to just jump in and contribute more than the guys who've been here all offseason.

Safety on the other hand, especially free safety, is really all about individual talent. We haven't had a difference maker at that position in ..... ever? Thomas would immediately give us a star in the secondary who's commensurate to the ones in the front seven and completely change how offenses look to attack us. That is probably the only move I could consider moving from Torrey Smith to pull off, it would be a real game changer.

18 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

It is probably more likely that Hurney's time on the couch allowed him to reflect on his mistakes during his first stint as our GM. 

Not to mention the absolute reaming he got from us fans for years after he left. It's probably similar to players coming back after suspension or injury. Something to prove, ya know? 

Hey if it works and he keeps it up, he may well redeem himself. We'll see.

Archived