• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Watching without cable

rmoneyg35

So this is the first season I don’t have cable or satellite. I have been able to watch a lot of sports through apps like espn,  fox sports, NBC and CBS. I  know  I will be able to watch prime time and Monday night games on The NBC app and espn app however I don’t know if I can watch Sunday afternoon games on the CBS or fox sports app. Does anyone know?

one think I really enjoy about the fox sports app is I can start college football games from the beginning even if it’s still on and fast forward and rewind up to the live part. I don’t know if NFL games will work like this though.

I am thinking of spending money to watch the NFL games but if I remember correctly they black out local games.

I really don’t want to have to rely on watching the game through the digital antenna. 

I also have to work Sunday afternoons until 4 so being able to watch the whole game from the beginning is important for me.

I have a Roku, Fire stick and PS4.

anyone have some ideas for me?

I live in Kannapolis and have never had cable of satellite. I also have never missed a game due to blackout. I have an antenna and VERY rarely have issues with bad reception. I have a stand alone DVR so I can record and pause live TV. I get the games in HD also which surprised a lot of people a decade ago. 

Just now, cvlngnir said:

I live in Kannapolis and have never had cable of satellite. I also have never missed a game due to blackout. I have an antenna and VERY rarely have issues with bad reception. I have a stand alone DVR so I can record and pause live TV. I get the games in HD also which surprised a lot of people a decade ago. 

I have a decent antenna but I notice it skips about once every 10-15 mins and I can’t have that for a Panthers game. I bought an antenna that supposed to pick up more miles out and still had the same issue.

I also don’t have a DVR or TIVO so my best option would be find an app or service that offers me the option to stream the game or offer a replay of the game to stream.

11 hours ago, rmoneyg35 said:

So this is the first season I don’t have cable or satellite. I have been able to watch a lot of sports through apps like espn,  fox sports, NBC and CBS. I  know  I will be able to watch prime time and Monday night games on The NBC app and espn app however I don’t know if I can watch Sunday afternoon games on the CBS or fox sports app. Does anyone know?

one think I really enjoy about the fox sports app is I can start college football games from the beginning even if it’s still on and fast forward and rewind up to the live part. I don’t know if NFL games will work like this though.

I am thinking of spending money to watch the NFL games but if I remember correctly they black out local games.

I really don’t want to have to rely on watching the game through the digital antenna. 

I also have to work Sunday afternoons until 4 so being able to watch the whole game from the beginning is important for me.

I have a Roku, Fire stick and PS4.

anyone have some ideas for me?

Not sure if PS4 offers the feature but on XBOX One I attached a TV tuner card and I can pause live TV for up to 30 mins and then fast forward and rewind within that window.

Alternatively you can purchase a HomeWorX 150PVR ATSC Digital Converter Box. You have to attach an external hard drive and its a little wonky to program the recording but it works pretty well for the price. I just checked Amazon and they have a refurb for $22. I used a 2TB drive I already had and that holds a lot of programming. 

4 minutes ago, Toker Smurf said:

Not sure if PS4 offers the feature but on XBOX One I attached a TV tuner card and I can pause live TV for up to 30 mins and then fast forward and rewind within that window.

Alternatively you can purchase a HomeWorX 150PVR ATSC Digital Converter Box. You have to attach an external hard drive and its a little wonky to program the recording but it works pretty well for the price. I just checked Amazon and they have a refurb for $22. I used a 2TB drive I already had and that holds a lot of programming. 

How much would I have to spend total to get it set up?

If you already have a hard drive just $22 + tax & shipping. Of course if you want it by this Sunday you would have to pay for expedited shipping unless you can find one locally. I'd say maybe 8 GB of storage to be safe (others may know better) but an 8 GB thumb drive should work.

And others are mentioning YouTube TV as an option. So, if you can't get the HomeWorx set up this week, get a free trial of YouTube TV to get you by until you can order the unit.

I see no reason why you cant watch the game on antenna signal alone.  

https://antennaweb.org/Stations?Address=27370&AntennaHeight=False&Latitude=35.8229988&Longitude=-79.9864071

According to antenna web , Trinity is within 8 miles of a Fox broadcast tower.  Point your antenna to 103 degrees, just slightly south of due east and you should be good to go.

Archived