• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pass Rush

ellis

38 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Sure is.

My one concern is that the Dallas offensive line was kinda banged up too (missing arguably their best player). Here's hoping we see similar results against other, healthier units as well.

There is zero argument at all, I repeat, not a single argument coming from anyone ever that Frederick is better than Martin or Smith. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I gotta disagree with you there.

The center is very important, and it's a tough job. You have to make the line calls, you have to make the snap (bad snaps have killed many a game) and you have to stand up and adjust after making the snap because there's a guy already coming at you.

My opinion: the center has more responsibility than any other position on the line. That's definitely not where I put my worst lineman.

I mean, this isn't really controversial and nothing you said conflicts with what I said. Your center is almost always your least athletically gifted lineman, if they weren't they'd play guard or tackle. Only an idiot would willingly choose to play a position that got paid less, especially in this sport where careers are incredibly short. Do you think Ryan Kalil is an idiot? As you noted, centers have a lot of mental responsibilities on the line, so they aren't idiots.

Anyway that backup center didn't make any bad snaps and dudes weren't getting steamrolled because they were lined up wrong. Our guys simply dominated theirs. 

Just now, FugAllY'all said:

I mean, this isn't really controversial and nothing you said conflicts with what I said. Your center is almost always your least athletically gifted lineman, if they weren't they'd play guard or tackle. Only an idiot would willingly choose to play a position that got paid less, especially in this sport where careers are incredibly short. Do you think Ryan Kalil is an idiot? As you noted, centers have a lot of mental responsibilities on the line, so they aren't idiots.

Anyway that backup center didn't make any bad snaps and dudes weren't getting steamrolled because they were lined up wrong. Our guys simply dominated theirs. 

I don't know if I'd say they're less athletic.  They do tend to be smaller and more mobile than guards and right tackles, but I think that's the nature of their position.

1 hour ago, t96 said:

There is zero argument at all, I repeat, not a single argument coming from anyone ever that Frederick is better than Martin or Smith. 

You can actually argue it about Smith now. He has really been slowed down by his back and is not nearly the same guy he was a couple years ago. He's going more off on reputation than play at this point. That said their backup center did pretty well so he wasn't their issue yesterday. KK dominated their guards and we got very pressure off the edge. Mostly targeting Connor Williams and La'el Collins, but there was quite a bit of damage done from Martin and Smith's spot as well.

59 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

He was also.being held as usual. 

This. He still gets attention. I saw him moving guys backwards overpowering a couple times. That hurry was pivitol. Very close to a sack a couple times. I have nothing against our very best players giving their all and retiring as Panthers and then sticking around as coaches and FO people like Pittsburgh.

Archived