• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Run defense concern

jamos14

I think Atlanta found a big weakness in our run D yesterday.  Toss plays.  The strength of our D is obviously DT and MLB.  They didn't even try to run up the middle.  They ran sweep, outside zone, and toss over and over and over again.  We did okay against outside zone but toss/sweep killed us.  The OLB and DE didn't set the edge well enough or the backside backer got caught before he could fill the cut back.

Our DE aren't great run defenders in general.  Addison is smallish and Horton doesn't have the quickness to get outside on a toss/sweep.  Peppers is probably the best run defender but he won't typically be on the field during run downs.  

Our safety play is also poor so this didn't help.  Searcy is average to below average when healthy and now he has had 2 concussions in a month. 

Ron and Eric need to address this or it will be become a trend.

I think its more about focus.  We focused on stopping Elliot, and did it.  I think our focus yesterday was on stopping their receivers and we didn't worry as much about the run game.  Unfortunately, Atlanta is just a bad matchup for us, with great receivers that our secondary can't match up against, so we didn't stop either the run or the passing game.  

I do think we will do better next time around.  

Really the weakness was running at Mayo and our Safety out of position. Countless plays I noticed Gaulden lost in the blocks away from the play. Leaving only our corners as our last line of defense.

Toss plays are not a weakness, this isn't madden. The falcons only ran at our weakest link. It was a good scheme for them. 

They exposed our weak perimeter players in Mike Adams and Captain Munnerlyn. We dont have that physical and fast box safety like Keanu Neal. I rather see Gaulden out there since he isn't shy to make contact. Also, until further notice Captain in the slot will be the most targeted player in the passing and running game. Dont know why they brought him back. 

1 minute ago, gmonjimbo said:

They exposed our weak perimeter players in Mike Adams and Captain Munnerlyn. We dont have that physical and fast box safety like Keanu Neal. I rather see Gaulden out there since he isn't shy to make contact. Also, until further notice Captain in the slot will be the most targeted player in the passing and running game. Dont know why they brought him back. 

Gaulden was the problem yesterday.....

4 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Toss plays are not a weakness, this isn't madden. The falcons only ran at our weakest link. It was a good scheme for them. 

Ummm......if the perimeter run D is the weakest link then doesn't that make a toss play a weakness?

Luke missed a ton of tackles. A ton. On top of this, they were all diving at our players knees and getting away with holding. They get all those calls in that house b/c the NFL loves scoring offenses. Having said that, the secondary actually looks okay and Bradberry did a great job shutting down Julio. This all comes with next to no pressure on the Ryan, which I was afraid was going to happen. This won't repeat itself when they come to Charlotte. Cincy will be a really good matchup this week to get back on track.

Yea our team always looks the same no matter who we play. Teams with coaches who are good(like those in our division sans Tampa) you see them actually game plan our weakness and keep touching that up all damn game.

We literally look like the same no matter who we play but Norv is actually adjusting more than any other coach at any other time since probably ever.

Archived