• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Eric Washington should get some blame for the defense too tbh

Saca312

37 minutes ago, hepcat said:

My biggest criticism of him at the moment is that he's a former D-Line coach and the D-Line is playing like monkey sh!t right now

That could be because he's focused on the rest of the defense more now and not able to do as much specifically with the DL. Same thing happened with Wilks. That says more about the replacements at position coach than it does Washington or Wilks...

You can have the most genius blitzes you want, but Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Matt Ryan and any other elite passer will kill you. Washington, right now, is challenging our dudes to get into the offensive backfield without bringing extra men. That doesn't mean you never blitz, I'm sure we'll bring more as the season goes along and we trust our defensive backfield more. Situational blitzing is fine, but if it's the only way you can generate pressure, then you may as well be DQ'd in December because you aren't winning in January. 

The only way we're beating the elite offenses like the Saints and Rams in the playoffs is if we can win with our front four snap after snap. Maybe we can beat them in a shootout, but the odds are against that. We have to do what the Eagles did last year and just dominate with our front four. 

14 hours ago, Camp Fodder said:

I don’t think it’s effort. I think it’s scheme and we are just not as good on the DL as we thought we would be. Poe is sadly a downgrade from Star which is surprising how he beasted in Atlanta. JP is 38 and other than Addy our other pass rushers are JAGs. We need to target a top Edge rusher in FA or the draft. I wouldn’t mind trading for one this year if the opportunity presented itself

You may want to go back and watch some film. Poe looks like our best D lineman so far this year.

5 hours ago, t96 said:

I don't know why Ron doesn't consider calling the defensive plays. As far as I know he has never called a game for us as head coach. Lots of HC call plays on their strong side of the ball.

Ron already struggles with clock management...I certainly don't think he needs to take on play calling.

24 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Ron already struggles with clock management...I certainly don't think he needs to take on play calling.

Ehh, he probably wouldn't get worse. Heck maybe he'd let someone else, like Norv, focus on clock management....

6 hours ago, hepcat said:

My biggest criticism of him at the moment is that he's a former D-Line coach and the D-Line is playing like monkey sh!t right now

I don't know that that's something that could rightly be laid entirely at his feet, though.

That said, the DC is ultimately in charge of everything, and if they're performing badly he can't be held blameless. He is still new to the position of course, but I would like to see Improvement by the end of this season.

(sooner rather than later would be great)

One thing: I'd bet those analysts who wrote this past offseason about how Washington was going to be the next head coaching limb to sprout from the Riviera tree would like to have those articles back right about now.

3 hours ago, mc52beast said:

To be fair, Obada was looking at Eli instead of peeling off to follow Barkley. If Obada does his job Barkley gets 5 yards but doesn’t score

He shouldn't have been put in a position to cover Barkley at all, especially not at that point in the game.

15 minutes ago, t96 said:

Ehh, he probably wouldn't get worse. Heck maybe he'd let someone else, like Norv, focus on clock management....

Norv wasn't known for it either, unfortunately.

Rons in game strategy leaves a lot to be desired, but at least the players love him.

so far, not a huge fan of Eric Washington.  players are just out of position alot.  Luke looks confused.  Pass rush is awful.  Carolina has the personnel.  It's up to the DC to get them in position to make plays and to perform at a pro level.  Eric Washington hasn't shown he can do that yet.  Why I dunno.  Is Rivera micro managing, probably.

My comment on Eric, Takes a lot of coaching skill to make Luke a non factor 

as much as oline needs upgrades, that DL and LBs need an infusion of speed and ‘want to’. Young legs this offseason  

Panthers getting old fast in key spots and slow in others  

gotta say, not that impressed with Poe.  I know he is a ‘space eater’.  I just see him ‘standing’ up,beside the play vs being on t.he ground ‘in’ the play 

Archived