• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Ron playing chess?

Khaki Lackey

We all know Ron's weaknesses as a coach. His questionable clock management and his personnel decisions favoring struggling vets over promising young talent, but I have a hard time thinking he's the dolt that some folks on here make him out to be. 

I think Ron places a lot of value in not showing too much too soon. I don't thinks it's a coincidence that we are seeing new offensive formations and blitz packages in week 8. I don't think it's adjustment, I think it's been by design. Ron has been holding his cards close to the vest and he and Norv will probably have more new looks come playoff time. Long story short, I think Ron would love to win every game running the ball up the middle and only generating pressure with the front 4. To a fault. He's reluctant to open the playbook too soon, but with a competent OC, this will be the year we finally see adjustments. We're starting to see a lot of thinks we've wanted to. CJ and CMC on the field at the same time, blitzing etc. We're gonna see Cam deep to Samuel eventually, if necessary. This team is going to make some noise in the playoffs.

Also, letting a rookie sit and learn for a while isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Who knows?  Maybe he just reads the huddle.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Nuts said:

I hate the way he coach, but he wins. 

Yeah, his conservative nature is very frustrating to watch a lot of the time. I get the feeling by his, "a season has 4 quarters" talk that he's ok taking a few losses early to save some things for later in the season or playoffs.

On the actual topic of what you wrote...

Yeh, I agree with you that Ron builds into his scheme and team as the season progresses on both offence and defense. Finishing every single season stronger then he started can not be a coincidence. It doesn't always lead to home field advantage, but it does lead to playoffs and hopefully getting hot during the playoffs and having some looks up your sleeve that teams wont have seen before. 

the offense and defense remained aggressive all game until the ravens gave up.  this is all i and others have been saying.  ron's teams have always been well disciplined and tough, he just lets off the gas when the team gets a lead.  it's extremely frustrating watching a team come back because he didn't want to blow them out or was playing not to lose.  yesterday, the play calling on both sides remained aggressive and we all saw what happened.  the #1 defense in the league was completely dominated and they gave up with 10 minutes left in the game.  if he maintains this mentality, the players will feed off it and there is a very high chance the panthers win it all this season.

I think it’s more of knowing he’s on the hot seat, per usual.

The play(s) at halftime to get a FG for example...all fans wanted him to do it and if I put Ron in that spot 5 times, I’d bet 4/5 of those time we’re looking at a punt/kneel to run the clock out, especially when we’re ahead.

Ron is blitzing because our front can’t get pressure. I also think Rob is slowly easing on his trust in Reid.

The offense looked a bit different due to no T Smith, but if anything I think Norv is figuring out how to work what he has vs. Rivera having anything to do with it.

When he is on the hot seat Ron can be a great coach. When his hand is forced to play talent, he can be a great coach. It’s all these when’s and if’s that keep him from consistently being a great coach.

I kind of agree, and I'm glad to see new material. Other things I noticed this week was Cam stepping up into the pocket and making throws. Historically, Cam drops back too far and gives edge ruhers a easy angle to him. Loved to see everything unfold how it did this week and hopefully it continues going forward

1 hour ago, Lumps said:

I think it’s more of knowing he’s on the hot seat, per usual.

The play(s) at halftime to get a FG for example...all fans wanted him to do it and if I put Ron in that spot 5 times, I’d bet 4/5 of those time we’re looking at a punt/kneel to run the clock out, especially when we’re ahead.

Ron is blitzing because our front can’t get pressure. I also think Rob is slowly easing on his trust in Reid.

The offense looked a bit different due to no T Smith, but if anything I think Norv is figuring out how to work what he has vs. Rivera having anything to do with it.

When he is on the hot seat Ron can be a great coach. When his hand is forced to play talent, he can be a great coach. It’s all these when’s and if’s that keep him from consistently being a great coach.

He's not on the hot seat. Hasn't been in a couple of years.

Ron is blitzing because it works and Flacco doesn't do as well under pressure as guys like Eli, Alex Smith, Dalton, Ryan and Wentz. Blitzing gets you killed if you have a cool-headed QB back there. Expect to see major blitzing against Tampa and Cleveland, but not against Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Seattle or Detroit. 

Ron trusted Reid from the start, but Reid had to get up to football conditioning and get the defensive playbook down. Big cheers to Reid for doing both so quickly. The guy has been great and he's been a starter since he arrived.

Ron is a darned good coach, way above the majority of the ones working in the league right now. Just ask his players.

Archived