• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I wonder if this would work

ncsfinest21

If Norv could be head coach and move Rivera to DC. It seems to me all the offensive minded coaches are thriving in the NFL. Payton, Rams coach, Andy Reid, etc... And all the defensive mind coaches Wilks, McDermott, Rivera (crazy how all are products of here) seem to be failing. This is a offensive league and the defensive mindset at the coaching position will always be focused on bend but dont break mentality when the offensive coach mind is break them into pieces. Since Rivera and Turner most likely would leave together if shown the door to Rivera I suggest role switch. Rivera cant do situational football where as Norv can and has shown a great improvement over the offense. Let Rivera focus on defense and defense alone.

I personally think Ron's biggest failure as coach was promoting in-house when McDermott left.  Wilks was a downgrade IMO and Washington simply is not ready to be a DC, just as it appears that Wilks was/is not ready to be a HC.

Regardless of what happens the rest of the year, whether we make the playoffs or not, I think Tepper keeps Ron/Marty for next year unless our guys just quit down the stretch.

Everyone is disappointed in how this year is coming off the rails after such a promising start, and I'm sure Tepper is at the top of the list, but I just don't see it.

The offense is on the right track with Norv, and the defense was going to need a major injection of youth after this season regardless.

Ron has still made the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 years in arguably the toughest division in all of football.

There is a valid argument to be made that Ron peaked in 2015, but I doubt someone that spent as much time as Tepper did in the Pittsburgh organization will do something rash.  But ultimately only Tepper knows.

Ron's biggest mistakes during his tenure were 1) Not having a more-experienced coaching staff when he started (which he later admitted) and 2) Promoting from within for all coordinators positions before Norv (Chud to Shula) & (McDermott to Wilks to Washington).

If he does get 1 more year I hope he rectifies this by going outside the organization

No, it wouldn't work, for so many different reasons.  But the bottom line is that Norv Turner is a very talented OC, but a poor HC.  I would not be at all opposed to a new HC here choosing to keep Norv and Scott as part of his staff.  I think Norv has done enough in 11 games here to show that he's still "pretty good" when given the right pieces.

8 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

I personally think Ron's biggest failure as coach was promoting in-house when McDermott left.  Wilks was a downgrade IMO and Washington simply is not ready to be a DC, just as it appears that Wilks was/is not ready to be a HC.

Regardless of what happens the rest of the year, whether we make the playoffs or not, I think Tepper keeps Ron/Marty for next year unless our guys just quit down the stretch.

Everyone is disappointed in how this year is coming off the rails after such a promising start, and I'm sure Tepper is at the top of the list, but I just don't see it.

The offense is on the right track with Norv, and the defense was going to need a major injection of youth after this season regardless.

Ron has still made the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 years in arguably the toughest division in all of football.

There is a valid argument to be made that Ron peaked in 2015, but I doubt someone that spent as much time as Tepper did in the Pittsburgh organization will do something rash.  But ultimately only Tepper knows.

Ron's biggest mistakes during his tenure were 1) Not having a more-experienced coaching staff when he started (which he later admitted) and 2) Promoting from within for all coordinators positions before Norv (Chud to Shula) & (McDermott to Wilks to Washington).

If he does get 1 more year I hope he rectifies this by going outside the organization

Solid post man and I agree. I think Rivera gets the remainder of the season and one more year to give the owner confidence to keep him or to move in another direction. By any metrics he’s earned that.  

To make another point: When we lose (especially when we probably shouldn’t have) it’s real easy to point the finger at one thing or the other, it also feels good to trash just about any and everybody.  I do it sometimes and I enjoy it. 

But we know in real life, most times, it’s not one thing, it’s a lot of things. We forget that the organization went through a pretty big deal with JR as far as distractions. We have a new owner and although it seems to be a great thing so far, that doesn’t mean it won’t  carry its share of distractions. 

New owner, new policies, new way of thinking, different pressures, different leadership. 

All these things can be a good thing(and I think it will be) but it is a distraction and it takes some time to settle down and fully transition. 

This doesn’t excuse the poor play, the mental lapses, bad coaching , just saying it may play a small role that ultimately determines a win or a loss. I’m scratching my head too. 

Now that I’ve ranted on I guess my point is I don’t have one. Sometimes it takes a little stumbling to get back on your feet. You know “darkest before the dawn” type deal. 

Tepper obviously has this organizations (his) best interests in mind and ultimately he and his team will make solid, logical decisions that will allow us to improve. 

Just going to take some time. 

I just see alot of these offensive minded coaches during great work at the HC at this point. Granted this is the first year they have worked together since San Diego but its a new era and different players. So results may differ. I think its pretty funny what his wife said but right now offensive minded coaches are doing alot while defensive HC are lost. Maybe it is Washington just not knowing what the heck he is doing but Washington has no say so over kicking a fg at the 3 yard line  or kicking a extra point instead of losing the game. Well could just be lack of faith in Gano has us making all types of bad decisions.

maybe if the panthers hired dwayne "the rock" johnson as professional pep talk coach before the games and motivated these lazy worthless jabroni's into a motley fighting crue we could starting winning some games again. i'm not sure ol norv and his slap-happy t-shirt lingo is going to cut it at this point. maybe if we had a time machine to bring back all the panther greats from years past and put them all on one team in their primes, I wonder if that would work. thank you for posting please come again

Norv is barley OC material in this day and age and is not in any way HC material.

He isn't what I'd consider a progressive offensive mind (Reid, Payton, McVay) like the one we need. He works for now as OC but he needs to go if Rivera goes. This whole hire and promote within type crap had costs the Panther's enough years, and with a new owner, it's time for everyone to realize the most qualified person for the job is not coincidently someone's relation/someone already in the organization. With JR gone we can finally broaden the horizon.

Archived