• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Needs and wants, free agency and the draft

AU-panther

With all the talk about the draft, which is understandable considering how the season went, I'm curious what everyone things is our biggest needs and how best to address them.

You could make the argument for:

DE: self explanatory

DT: see above 

LB: especially if TD retires

Corner: are we good with Bradberry and Jackson?

Safety: getting old back there

OT: especially if you aren't sure about Williams

Guard: 

Center: especially if Ryan retires

WR: if Funchess walks

Backup QB: depending on Cam's shoulder

TE: Do we need another?

Did I miss anything?

Let me realistic here, once you get past the second round the chance of a player contributing greatly in the first year is slim.  Also there is a limit on how many players we'll sign in free agency, especially to larger contracts.

So what 2 positions of need to you want to see addressed in Free agency?  What 2 positions addressed in the first 2 rounds of the draft?  What positions can we make due with what we have, or with cheap free agents and/or later draft picks.  Such as:

If there are any doubt about Williams:

FA: DE and Safety

First 2 picks in draft:  DT and OT

I think you have to look at what spots on the team can we go into next season with some jags or stop gaps. Looking at upcoming fa, the best positions to fill before the draft will be DE, G, S, Cb, WR in that order, DE and Guard with the highest priority, follow closely by safety. I feel all these positions can be filled and affordable before the draft, this allows bpa at positions of need throughout the draft, De, DT, G, S, Lb, Cb. This is ofcourse with the assumption guys like Williams and Reid will be resigned, and a couple others. 

14 hours ago, AU-panther said:

With all the talk about the draft, which is understandable considering how the season went, I'm curious what everyone things is our biggest needs and how best to address them.

You could make the argument for:

DE: self explanatory

DT: see above 

LB: especially if TD retires

Corner: are we good with Bradberry and Jackson?

Safety: getting old back there

OT: especially if you aren't sure about Williams

Guard: 

Center: especially if Ryan retires

WR: if Funchess walks

Backup QB: depending on Cam's shoulder

TE: Do we need another?

Did I miss anything?

Let me realistic here, once you get past the second round the chance of a player contributing greatly in the first year is slim.  Also there is a limit on how many players we'll sign in free agency, especially to larger contracts.

So what 2 positions of need to you want to see addressed in Free agency?  What 2 positions addressed in the first 2 rounds of the draft?  What positions can we make due with what we have, or with cheap free agents and/or later draft picks.  Such as:

If there are any doubt about Williams:

FA: DE and Safety

First 2 picks in draft:  DT and OT

Both lines need to be shored up first and foremost. 

THE DEFENSE WILL BE A DIFFERENT ANIMAL IN 2019:

LB: Personally, I am on the fence about LB--Davis?  He has lost a step and relies on his toughness and intelligence.  Thompson?  Will not be worth $9 m in 2019--do you let him walk?  We could need 2 LBs, and nobody seems to be talking about it.

S: Are we going to re-sign Reid.  I am a fan of this, but at what cost?  Will a long-term, guaranteed contract make him more recalcitrant?  Will they want to leave him at FS?  Where will Gaulden be (developmentally?)  S is a huge need to address.

DE:  Addison will be 32--the age CJ hit the wall.  He seems to have lost a bit of his "edge" this year.  Peppers will be 39 and should retire.  Horton hears a who whenever he makes a rare play and the PA calls his name.  Cox Jr. is limited, as is Obada.  Haynes is not the answer.  Basically, it could be that we have NOTHING at DE entering 2019.  We need to draft 1 early and sign 1 in free agency. 

CB/Nickel:  If you were still watching the game last week, you saw an exchange between Munnerlyn and Davis.  Davis was all over Munnerlyn, and I think the D is tired of him, frankly.  We need a good player at Nickel-a veteran free agent would be ideal.

DT: Poe seems a bit apathetic, and I wonder if it did not impact KK.  Love was our best DT this season, and he is going to be 33.  Butler is probably gone.  We will need at least 1 DT.

So if you think about it, we will have some cap room, but the defense could have a new look.  We could add up to

If the Panthers have half a brain and want to not to have to draft a QB high, they best get serious about OT

the left OT at Florida will most likely be there, they need to get him

sick and tired of watching the qb get his brains beat in 

too, the guy will be on rookie contract. 

Kalil was a disasterous mistake. Move on with a controllable salary with a young player 

honest to god I’d pay an injury settlement and get rid of him. He takes up a spot and returns no value

1 minute ago, raleigh-panther said:

If the Panthers have half a brain and want to not to have to draft a QB high, they best get serious about OT

the left OT at Florida will most likely be there, they need to get him

sick and tired of watching the qb get his brains beat in 

too, the guy will be on rookie contract. 

Kalil was a disasterous mistake. Move on with a controllable salary with a young player 

honest to god I’d pay an injury settlement and get rid of him. He takes up a spot and returns no value

Nobody is going to disagree with you, and you have to protect your QB for a variety of reasons.  However, Moton at LT and Williams at RT could be effective.  Should we not focus on C and G?  I dunno.

And then, who do we have at DE next season?  The secondary and LBs are not good if the DL is not good.  Many problems. 

But I see your point--the big picture muddies the waters.

Archived