• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Youth movement is needed now. Let go of your emotional attachments.

Jeremy Igo

I'd rather stick with Peppers and Davis for another year than get rid of them for inferior players. We have found our Olsen replacement, but releasing Olsen won't create cap space. We could run a true two TE system next year. I say keep Olsen.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Agreed, but we need a head coach that will play younger less experienced players over savvy grizzled vets.

Funny how things go full circle. We complained about this when Fox was here. Still remember Rivera's first press conference. He said he would play younger players and teach football. 

The problem isn't that we have veterans on our roster. It's that we refuse to play them in lessor roles and develop younger talent. If Shaq can't play 95% of snaps and Davis comes in for <50%, Shaq was a wasted pick whose sole purpose for being drafted was pointless. If Corn can't come in and be the teams nickel CB after sitting and studying for a year, that was a wasted pick. If Gaulden does not earn a starting spot next year after being a 3rd round pick, he was a wasted pick.

Moving on from Olsen will be hard due to contract, might as well keep him and just use him as needed.  June first cuts of Gano and Matt Kalil will work, no to pep, and a MAYBE for TD if he's a very manageable contract and rotational piece because he was still better than Shaq.  I'm hoping to see more Carter next season regardless.  Torrey Smith has to go.  When i plug all that stuff in the contract calculator, gets us up to 46 or so million.  Age gotta go then we gotta start the process of rebuilding.  In free agency, retreads are ok, but they must be young (under 30) enough that they could still flourish and grow here.  I look forward to 2018 looking like an almost completely new team.

Corn looks pretty stupid and unaware out there. I certainly don't want him starting at any position.

Dump Adams and Captain. They can easily be upgraded with younger guys or vets.

I'm on the fence about Peppers and TD because we might not have enough money and draft picks to replace them with good players.

The problem is that we can't fix everything, so the Panthers will have to be selective in where we improve. 

Typically the Panthers like to hide their scrubs at safety, o-line, and WR. In an effort to enter the 21st century modern football era the Panthers upgraded their WR corps.

We still have to play the "where do we hide our scrubs?" game. Captain became a scrub when he lost his legs playing for the Vikings. The Vikings saw him slow down, and dumped their trash out on our lawn. Gettleman, a moron, also handed out an unbelievably bad contract to a horrible looking Matt Kalil. I mean Matt looked completely incompetent, and our moron GM handed over major $$$$$$$$$. So we're hiding trash at ($$$$LT$$$$), DB, and S. Gettleman's blunder is killing us. That money could have bought us much better players at critical positions of need.

To make matters worse our expensive DTs are playing like JAGS. We could put random cheap worn out vets at DT and get the same production. But we're locked into long term bad contracts, so we've had to ride Cam into the ground. It's over if Cam doesn't recover. We're probably entering the "take your medicine" years, aka rebuilding.

Sorry but I disagree. Adams was the only liability out there of the 4 you mentioned and thats simply because hes too old to play in todays NFL. None of Olsen, Peppers, or TD were detriments to the team in the way Munnerlyn, Poe, Funchess were. I think Peppers can still be a very effective 3rd down pass rusher, he got 11 sacks last year doing that, the problem was our dumb ass GM and coach (go figure) thought it was acceptable to have him starting and playing 3 downs. TD honestly looked better this year than last year and better than Shaq. I have no problem keeping him as a run play linebacker and as depth, but we obviously need to get a better coverage LB. Olsen is still a great player when healthy. He still gets open, he still catches everything, and hes still a threat in the red zone. I like Thomas and think hes a potential matchup nightmare for defenses, but I dont see why we wouldnt bring Olsen back as a two tight end set and red zone player - makes way more sense than trotting garbage Manhertz out there. 

Full disclosure, i know all the points i just made are moot if these players’ egos are too big and wont accept both less money and lesser roles, and I know this is also dependent on Ron actually letting the younger players on the field and not the old vets which is a big contingency, but I dont think it should be a sure thing that they all need to be shown the door

Archived