• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Youth movement is needed now. Let go of your emotional attachments.

Jeremy Igo

Charles Johnson is definitely one of the last names you should want to talk about if you're trying to prop up Marty Hurney.

The six year blockbuster contract that Hurney signed him to in 2011 is known to have come partially as a result of Atlanta tricking Hurney into basically bidding against himself. On the flipside, Gettleman managed to get him back on a much smaller contract.

Hurney being fooled into doing things by other teams isn't that unusual, unfortunately. The same thing happened with Jake Delhomme's initial contact and the Colts notoriously floated a phony rumor that led to his trade up for Armanti Edwards.

I hated to see that we had traded with an established team or GM--I knew we were getting screwed.  But when Hurney got desperate, he got exposed on a large scale.  That Armanti Edwards draft featured the fifth rounder as the best pick, unless you really liked Brandon Lafell. 

With Edwards, they tipped their hands big time--We all knew they had been traveling to Boone to scout him--- Hurney himself went.  If you recall, Fox was a lame duck that season, and the following year had Clausen third on the depth chart.  I don't think MH had any communication with the coaching staff that year--I heard Fox make a snide comment about Clausen at camp.  It was not what he said to another coach, but how he said it.  He was disgruntled.

20 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Peppers, Davis, Olsen, Adams, etc etc

The Panthers need to move on and get young. They can't do that by hanging on to vets that have been fan favorites for so long.

Please let's not spend another entire season watching older guys unable to match speed or get injured again. 

We have wastes so much of Cam's time as it is. Hell, we might not even have Cam back the way he was at all. 

Let's find some young guys that are hungry. The sun has set on the current core.

I agree with everyone you mentioned except Davis.  I thought he had a good year and stayed healthy.  I think he can stay.

Also we didn't waste Cam's time.  We went 15-1 and he got to the Superbowl.....where HE blew it.  Cam blew that SB.  He wasted his own time.  We had our chance to make the playoffs this year.  He missed throw after throw and cost us.  Rivera is not the reason Cam was on a 7 win team this year.  Cam is one of the reasons he's on a 7 win this year.

I love everything Cam has done...but this fan base coddles him more then any other player I've ever seen.  It's like nothing his is fault.

4 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I hated to see that we had traded with an established team or GM--I knew we were getting screwed.  But when Hurney got desperate, he got exposed on a large scale.  That Armanti Edwards draft featured the fifth rounder as the best pick, unless you really liked Brandon Lafell. 

With Edwards, they tipped their hands big time--We all knew they had been traveling to Boone to scout him--- Hurney himself went.  If you recall, Fox was a lame duck that season, and the following year had Clausen third on the depth chart.  I don't think MH had any communication with the coaching staff that year--I heard Fox make a snide comment about Clausen at camp.  It was not what he said to another coach, but how he said it.  He was disgruntled.

We kind of got marked as suckers for a while there.

During the second round of Gettleman's first draft, a team called offering us a second rounder for next year's first. Gettleman laughed at the idea and said "you must think I'm braindead to make an offer like that" (apparently not realizing what that implied about his predecessor).

2 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I agree with everyone you mentioned except Davis.  I thought he had a good year and stayed healthy.  I think he can stay.

I need to post this every time someone suggests bringing back Davis. 

https://www.neworleanssaints.com/video/kamara-takes-on-thomas-davis-for-critical-first-down

Look, I love Davis. I met him at a meet and greet in Charleston and it was awesome. But it's time to move on.

Not a completely perfect comparison, but we should really look at what the Seahawks did this year.  They were supposedly going for a rebuild, youth movement, etc., and they're doing it all the while still making the playoffs.  Teams can be rebuilt in a year if all goes right, and we're already ahead of the curve with our young talent IMO. 

21 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

This sounds nice and dandy but we don't have the cap space or the elite draft picks needed to make all of those changes.

- Adams is a free agent and obviously should not be retained.

- As mentioned above, Olsen actually counts more against the cap if he is cut.

- TD has already played his hand and let it be known that he would like to return. For what we could get him for, you won't find a better replacement.

- Peppers' situation is similar to TD's, you won't find a better situational pass rusher for what you can probably get him for.

So the Panthers are looking at having to to come up with a new starting strong and free safety, a new starting defensive end, a new starting right tackle, and potentially a new nickel (if Munnerlyn is cut).

Not to mention all of the depth players that we will need

As of right now the Panthers only have the following players under contract (I'm leaving out positions that should be pretty much set):

- Cam at QB

- McCaffrey at RB

- Turner, Van Roten, and Mahon at guard

- Addison and Hayes under contract at defensive end

- Short, Poe, and Butler (gross) at defensive tackle

- Thompson at OLB

- Searcy and Gaulden at both safety

This team has more holes for a 6-10 team than I have ever seen.

Oh, and all of this has to be done with $26M in cap space with the potential to create up to $40M by creating more holes.

This draft is vital to the future of the franchise.

Van Wroten was sub par JAG level this year

2 hours ago, Car123 said:

The 2018 contracts weren't crippling. I'm not talking about pre 2012 contracts.

Who the heck is CJ? Charles Johnson? And who gave him 20 million in 2015?

Ffs Searcy started 13 games in 2014. He had a good year and received a 4 year 24 million dollar contract. He then started 13 games in 2015, 14 in 2016. Stop with the misleading poo. You make it seem like he was a career backup. We signed him to a 2 year 5.7 million dollar contract. He got what he was worth.

You brought up all the 2012 contracts acting like they weren’t as bad. When in reality they were much worse. 

Hurney gave CJ 72M. That’s who. 

And in just one year, we are already need to get rid of a PK who is too inconsistent for his price(4.6M to cut), a DT who sux( 6.6M) and either overpay Greg Olsen to play(7.1M) or eat 7.4M when he retires.. That’s 18.6M he already has us deciding what to do on. That’s impressive for contracts not even a year old. 

Was Searcy a starter for his team when we signed him or did he get benched? Yes or no? Why did you stop at 2016? 

1 hour ago, Toomers said:

You brought up all the 2012 contracts acting like they weren’t as bad. When in reality they were much worse. 

Hurney gave CJ 72M. That’s who. 

And in just one year, we are already need to get rid of a PK who is too inconsistent for his price(4.6M to cut), a DT who sux( 6.6M) and either overpay Greg Olsen to play(7.1M) or eat 7.4M when he retires.. That’s 18.6M he already has us deciding what to do on. That’s impressive for contracts not even a year old. 

Was Searcy a starter for his team when we signed him or did he get benched? Yes or no? Why did you stop at 2016? 

Show me where I said the contract weren't as bad. I said were overpaid but at least they were good NFL players (except for Godfrey and Delhomme). M. Kalil doesn't deserve to be anywhere near an NFL stadium.

We don't need to get rid of Gano, he's still serviceable. Poe can stay for another year. He and the D will improve with a better coordinator.

Searcy wasn't the starter at Tennessee, he did start 6 games. You aren't getting a high caliber player for 2.8 million a year (what we're paying Searcy). What bonafide starting safety did you want us to sign with that money?

19 minutes ago, Car123 said:

Show me where I said the contract weren't as bad. I said were overpaid but at least they were good NFL players (except for Godfrey and Delhomme). M. Kalil doesn't deserve to be anywhere near an NFL stadium.

We don't need to get rid of Gano, he's still serviceable. Poe can stay for another year. He and the D will improve with a better coordinator.

Searcy wasn't the starter at Tennessee, he did start 6 games. You aren't getting a high caliber player for 2.8 million a year (what we're paying Searcy). What bonafide starting safety did you want us to sign with that money?

Well you started with this.....just in this thread. Or should I pull one of the hundreds of posts of you justifying Hurney failures with “At least he didn’t sign Matt Kalil”. 

Aside from Delhomme, none of the players we gave contracts to were bad. Williams, Stewart, Davis, Beason, Johnson, etc. were more than serviceable, they were just overpaid.

Serviceable for 9M guaranteed. That’s fantastic. Poe sux, but I’m sure you would be just as tolerant with any player that didn’t perform in FA. 

Searcy got benched. Why sign another teams trash and expect improvement. And why not Reid instead. Why not sign Matheiu instead of Poe or Breeland(that was impressive as well). 

5 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Well you started with this.....just in this thread. Or should I pull one of the hundreds of posts of you justifying Hurney failures with “At least he didn’t sign Matt Kalil”. 

Aside from Delhomme, none of the players we gave contracts to were bad. Williams, Stewart, Davis, Beason, Johnson, etc. were more than serviceable, they were just overpaid.

Serviceable for 9M guaranteed. That’s fantastic. Poe sux, but I’m sure you would be just as tolerant with any player that didn’t perform in FA. 

Searcy got benched. Why sign another teams trash and expect improvement. And why not Reid instead. Why not sign Matheiu instead of Poe or Breeland(that was impressive as well). 

NONE OF THE PLAYERS WERE BAD. Where did I state that the contracts weren't bad??

We did not sign Breeland so it's stupid to bring him up. We could have signed him instead of Poe, I agree, but who would have replaced Star?

Archived