• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2016 - Our Biggest Mistake

Ship

I've stewed on this thought for a long time now. If I had to pick one mistake we made in 2016 that truly screwed us up going forward, it was our choice of CB FA after letting Norman walk.

People have lots of opinions about letting Josh walk in the first place, and that really isn't my concern here. What's more important is what we did after. As everyone knows, we made a move everyone thought was pretty smart... for like a couple weeks, in signed Brandon Boykin. He had a lot of promise as a player, but we did a shitty check on his injury history and obviously he didn't even make it to camp. Instead of Boykin, Casey Hayward was available at an affordable price. I don't think we even looked at Hayward. Instead, he signed with the Chargers and has been a CB1 for them since. Had we signed Hayward to a similar contract and only needed to draft Bradberry-- who would obviously be CB2, we'd have a really solid secondary group and I think our defense would be better off overall.

I remember him being signed not long after our Boykin move. I truly believe we blew a good opportunity on a guy who wasn't bad at the time and who clearly had the chops to continue and develop. I think it was a huge mistake and had we signed him, maybe we draft some different guys at Worley and Sanchez's spots that would still be here or be more impactful.

Now, Jackson is great and I'm not certain we'd have taken him if we had two starters, but who really cares? could have grabbed some nice talent at that spot somewhere else too.

Anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest.

Everything about 2016 sucked ass. I will say, letting Norman walk hurt, but giving him 75 mil (50 guaranteed) to a 29 year old cb was not a good idea. I really wish we stuck with the tag. Drafting Butler was awful as well and then making up for Norman by wasting two other picks on CBS (2 aren’t even here anymore plus trading up for Worley) oh wee mayne. I like Gettleman, but that offseason was his doom. Sheesh

23 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Norman has not been the world beater in Washington---he wanted elite money and has only had 1 pro bowl season---his contract year.  CB was not our problem this year, but I would like to have Norman. 

Agree to a point,  We also lost an "attitude' when we lost Norman--we still haven't regained it.

Thanks Gettleman-the greatest  GM in the history of any sport.

2 minutes ago, ras977 said:

Agree to a point,  We also lost an "attitude' when we lost Norman--we still haven't regained it.

Thanks Gettleman-the greatest  GM in the history of any sport.

There was no answer.  You save the $16m, I get it, but answer to the loss.  A second and third round tandem? Rookies?  Ugh.

Bradberry has developed, but the attitude you mentioned made it hard for a CB from Samford to step into those shoes.

2016 was when the honeymoon with gman was over. His ego seemed to have gotten the better and his magic began to erode faster as well.

Hayward theory is interesting, Boykin was given 400,000 and a cup of coffee. I remember Dave stating " You can not go into the season with a question mark at punter, I can not do that to Ron" He did what said you can not do- panic by trading 4th for a vet punter. I don't know in what world you think going into the season with 2 rookies starting at CB is "fine: but not an unproven punter. I know they were hoping for Bene to play a role, he took much longer to recover. He's still recovering til his day.

Free agency is very complicated. Many things have to take place ie the team has to want player X, a contract agreed upon, and (the most underrated part) the player has to want to come. Most have a family by their 2nd contract time. Salary cap plays a role too.  Many other factors coaches, systems, supply/demand. Panthers could have wanted Hayward badly, but one of many factors didn't make it work.

Archived