• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2016 - Our Biggest Mistake

Ship

18 hours ago, MHS831 said:

There was no answer.  You save the $16m, I get it, but answer to the loss.  A second and third round tandem? Rookies?  Ugh.

Bradberry has developed, but the attitude you mentioned made it hard for a CB from Samford to step into those shoes.

I think Norman would have played the same if he had stayed in Carolina and so would have kurtman the backend really had chemistry. Things arent always greener on the otherside. The swag he had here is not visible on the skins team. Norman developed here and knew his coaches and teammates well.( family)

At a minimum, you let Norman play under the tag.    Letting him go was the dumbest thing ever.    You lost the best CB in the league the season before and you overnight lost the attitude of a team.    He was was more than just a player for us.   

I think DG was right in not extending Davis and Olsen though.

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

This is something a good GM knows and uses to find players in free agency---I wonder how many busts were simply not good fits?  In addition, it takes some players a few years before the light comes on.  I think Addison is a good example, but it took time for him to become a good player.

Hopefully, we can find some bad fits from other systems  and meet some needs on the cheap in free agency.

THAT IS WHY I WOULD NOT HAVE RE-SIGNED NORMAN.  Yes, he had the swag, but  paying a player elite money after a pro bowl season is paying for four more pro bowl seasons because that sets the rate--Norman has yet to play to that level since. .While it hurt to lose him, (as it did Norwell), you have to pay for future performance, not past performance.  Norman is still a starting CB, but no where near his salary.  Those kinds of contracts get you fired.

The tag was not resigning him. Dave let him go to early.

Norman is such a loud mouth and headcase, I'm not sure to this day if not rescinding his tag would have helped. At best he would have pulled a L Bell and stayed away bitching about money or he could have shown up and been a complete cancer. The negotiations were so bad with his pretend agent, I still hate him and I'm so glad that he got stuck in Washingtom, they deserve each other.

Rivera looked like he lost his best friend and it was the beginning of the end of Rivera and DG working well together. The draft that year proved it. I have no idea what went on behind closed doors but it couldn't have been pretty. Everything turned sour afterwards.

DG's ego, Rivera's way of treating players and promising them stupid crap teams should not do and JRs fugged up organizational culture created a poopstorm. Blaming any other one person for this draft or what happened after is pretty lame. The failure happened on many levels throughout the organization.

When I look back, two events triggered a lot of foundering around.  I am not even going to criticize the decisions on moving on from these two players, but the efforts to replace them took a lot of hit and miss efforts, mostly miss:

Steve Smith and Josh Norman. 

Every year since the 2014 draft we have been in the market for WRs, perhaps until now.  And the search for the ever-elusive shutdown corner, or one that can hold his own against a #1WR has been exhaustive. 

6 hours ago, Hotsauce said:

You would liked to have thought that that was JRs reason for getting rid of him, but it wasn’t. JR fires him for not wanting to resign some of the rusty old vets. JR did not fire him for making a poor football decision, he fired him for not having loyalty with aging vets....something that RR and Marty have. 

Tepper needed to make changes this year. He has no balls

Which was piss poor given how good he performed in the 2017 draft but even if that’s the case 2016 followed by that Matt kalil atrocity is a fireable offense in its self 

3 hours ago, Zaximus said:

At a minimum, you let Norman play under the tag.

He.

Was.

Going.

To.

Hold.

Out.

"But... but... but... he said he'd sign the tag!" 

Yeah, only AFTER his shitty agent ruined any relationship between him and the GM.

"But... but... but... he said he wouldn't hold out!" 

Yeah, and I've got a box of genuine pearls here that I'm willing to sell you for a bargain price of $100.  Don't worry that they look like M&M's and are in multiple-colors, they're actually PEARLS!  Seriously!

2 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

He.

Was.

Going.

To.

Hold.

Out.

"But... but... but... he said he'd sign the tag!" 

Yeah, only AFTER his shitty agent ruined any relationship between him and the GM.

"But... but... but... he said he wouldn't hold out!" 

Yeah, and I've got a box of genuine pearls here that I'm willing to sell you for a bargain price of $100.  Don't worry that they look like M&M's and are in multiple-colors, they're actually PEARLS!  Seriously!

That's all a guessing game.   At that point, no one had really held out and missed pay checks and I don't think he would have either.  

22 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Norman has not been the world beater in Washington---he wanted elite money and has only had 1 pro bowl season---his contract year.  CB was not our problem this year, but I would like to have Norman. 

The secondary was still the problem this year. It performed somewhat better, but when exposed, they were truly as bad as expected. What wasn't expected was our defensive line taking a year off to collect free money outside of Addison. Mario deserves to be there. Everyone else can see their way out.

3 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

That's all a guessing game.   At that point, no one had really held out and missed pay checks and I don't think he would have either.  

Then why didn't he ever sign the tag all those weeks it was sitting their waiting on him to sign it?

14 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Then why didn't he ever sign the tag all those weeks it was sitting their waiting on him to sign it?

Like the other 100 players that did it before him, it's the only bargaining power a player has in the NFL.   

Archived