• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cutting ties with Thomas Davis will have more negative effects on the Panthers than cutting ties with Steve Smith

Hotsauce

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Steve Smith was cut.

TD played out his contract.

Two completely different situations.

Yup. Panthers brass also didn't talk about TD in the past tense in media interviews as DG did with Smith. The Panthers stuck with TD after THREE ACL tears. Most organizations would have been done after the second. The Panthers gave TD all the opportunities in the world to keep his career going. TD paid that faith off. I'm thankful for TD and for laying it on the line each week.

It's a business though. This is a shift in mentality and it's necessary. Organizations that make the tough decisions are ultimately the one's that have sustained success. 

7 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

The thing is that he still so much better than Shaq Thompson. If you watch Shaq’s on film those 4 first games it was mistake after mistake after mistake, he’s a low IQ linebacker that would rather make a big hit than tackle correctly. He constantly messing up assingnments, running in the wrong lanes and for a guy who was a hybyrd safety in college he can’t cover squat.

I won’t be surprised if our run D regresses a ton next season.

The best defenses are good against the pass. So if they want to focus on that area over our run D, that's fine by me. 

Lets not forget TD indicated this was his last year playing in the spring. I am sure plans begun to move on at that point.  Then get popped for PED a few months later, then just changes his mind and says I want a new contract. 

Imagine you are at your job, told you employer you are going to retire at the end of the year.  Then you get a public DUI a few months later and work suspends you for a month.  Then you say, nah, I need more money I am going to stay.  Does your employer just say sure, here is another year contract thanks for your service?!  Doubt it.  

Love TD, he is my all time favorite Panther, but it’s time. That being said, next season is going to be a rough one. I’d bet a last place finish in the NFCS.  There will be more spots to fill than we can imagine.  I’m not sure why Rivera would want to coach another season with retooling on deck, but he may have been told he has 2 more seasons to right the ship.  Don’t know about y’all, but I’m not at all impressed with Mr. Brass Balls.  

I don’t know, I’d bet that Thomas Davis is still top 50% and faster than half. His experience and chemistry with Luke is hard to replace too.

It makes one wonder though if the Panthers will want to run more 3-4 looks and looking at all the 3-4 type outside linebackers like the Melvin Ingram types— 

the draft is loaded and that will cheapen the FA market for them too. It’s a copy cat league— and getting more versatility with outside containment is as important as ever

Archived