• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offensive Tackle

The Huddler

If we retain Williams, is there really any reason to draft an OT early?

I don't see the need. Moton performed admirably at LT and Williams is that bulldozer All pro at RT. 

To me DE is a much larger need. We have old, ineffective guys at that position and it requires more players to keep a solid rotation. We lack a pass rush and our defense will never be what we want it to be unless we boost that unit. I'd be ok if we double dipped at DE. 

We are a defensive team whether we like it or not with Rivera. If we play with that defensive ball control game-plan, our defense better be up to par.  If we aren't putting pressure on the QB on 3rd downs to get off the field the rest of our defense is toast. It all begins on the DL for us as a team. Without a good pass-rush, its like we are a big ass truck built with 4 wheel drive, but we have little rinky dink old ass worn out and cracked tires made for a Ford Focus that just spin in the mud and snow, ultimately making the truck useless. 

If we don't retain Williams, then I could understand OT more, but DE is still the glaring need in my opinion. Like in 2013, a damn good passrush can really mask secondary deficiencies. Predicting OT as our pick to me is just the lazy, easy plug in prediction. DE would have more impact. If our team wants to WIN NOW, we better bolster our pass rush or we will continue to be frustrated by our defensive performance just spinning its wheels when it could be capable of so much more. 

If you disagree please explain your reasoning. 

Would be a horrible move

There are some Good interior OL that can be picked in the 2nd and 3rd.  And there really isnt That good of OTs, only maybe Jonah Williams would be ready to start at LT.  The rest are being overhyped at the moment due to needs

13 minutes ago, The Huddler said:

If we retain Williams, is there really any reason to draft an OT early?

I don't see the need. Moton performed admirably at LT and Williams is that bulldozer All pro at RT. 

To me DE is a much larger need. We have old, ineffective guys at that position and it requires more players to keep a solid rotation. We lack a pass rush and our defense will never be what we want it to be unless we boost that unit. I'd be ok if we double dipped at DE. 

We are a defensive team whether we like it or not with Rivera. If we play with that defensive ball control game-plan, our defense better be up to par.  If we aren't putting pressure on the QB on 3rd downs to get off the field the rest of our defense is toast. It all begins on the DL for us as a team. Without a good pass-rush, its like we are a big ass truck built with 4 wheel drive, but we have little rinky dink old ass worn out and cracked tires made for a Ford Focus that just spin in the mud and snow, ultimately making the truck useless. 

If we don't retain Williams, then I could understand OT more, but DE is still the glaring need in my opinion. Like in 2013, a damn good passrush can really mask secondary deficiencies. Predicting OT as our pick to me is just the lazy, easy plug in prediction. DE would have more impact. If our team wants to WIN NOW, we better bolster our pass rush or we will continue to be frustrated by our defensive performance just spinning its wheels when it could be capable of so much more. 

If you disagree please explain your reasoning. 

It's pretty simple. Moton is more comfortable playing right tackle, and indeed might be better at it. If we can land a true talent that plays left tackle, then you just don't pass on that kind of opportunity. 

DEs are important, yes, but a legit DE is much easier to find via draft and free agency than a legit LT. Most teams, unless they're just mismanaged never ever let legit LTs go.

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

It's pretty simple. Moton is more comfortable playing right tackle, and indeed might be better at it. If we can land a true talent that plays left tackle, then you just don't pass on that kind of opportunity. 

DEs are important, yes, but a legit DE is much easier to find via draft and free agency than a legit LT. Most teams, unless they're just mismanaged never ever let legit LTs go.

...i tend to agree...but we have a need for both...do we draft best player available at either position? if i know booze nose..it'll be a LB or a S...

19 minutes ago, top dawg said:

yeah but if we retain Williams, he and moton are a solid combo

not so much at DE. If we retain williams OT is a luxury we cannot offord. 

Keeping Darryl means that OT isn't a top need at all IMO.  Would much rather see us grab a guy in the 2nd or 3rd to develop, like we seem to have preferred anyway with our current OT situation.

DE, CB, S, C would all take precedence at that point, and I'd be eyeing the best defensive player available in the 1st, OL in the 2nd. 

If Moton was an admirable LT  (and I am not saying that I disagree with you--I would love to see him there  but find it strange that he did not play there THIS year), answer these 2 questions:

1.   Why could he not beat our Matt Kalil after not beating out Williams?

2. Why did they not move him from RT to the more important and critcal LT when Kalil was injured?  (They could have signed a street free agent to play RT, instead, they went after a free agent who could play LT.  If they had a LT on  the roster---in  their minds== they would have moved him there.) 

1. Williams wants to test the market.

2.  Williams is a big man coming off knee surgery.  When a horse breaks a leg, they shoot it.  I am not suggesting that we shoot Williams.  However, I am saying the bigger they are, the more difficult it gets to regain agility and strength.

3. Moton is a known commodity and played  well at RT.

4.  Moton is on the rookie contract.

5.  It would be cheaper to draft a LT than to re-sign Williams, a RT with a question mark on his knee.

If I am the GM, knowing nothing about Williams' knee or salary  demands, I take the LT in the draft, play Moton at RT, saving about $7m in cap for 2019. 

HOWEVER, I am not happy with the LTs in the draft.  I am not happy  with the LTs in free agency and I am  not happy with the LT on the roster.  Playing Kalil could be by default.

36 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

If Moton was an admirable LT  (and I am not saying that I disagree with you--I would love to see him there  but find it strange that he did not play there THIS year), answer these 2 questions:

1.   Why could he not beat our Matt Kalil after not beating out Williams?

2. Why did they not move him from RT to the more important and critcal LT when Kalil was injured?  (They could have signed a street free agent to play RT, instead, they went after a free agent who could play LT.  If they had a LT on  the roster---in  their minds== they would have moved him there.) 

We've made no shortage of baffling roster chart decisions under Rivera that have been exposed by injuries when we find out the younger backup was a much better player than the starter.

4 hours ago, top dawg said:

DEs are important, yes, but a legit DE is much easier to find via draft and free agency than a legit LT

Disagree. They are comparable. Trust the scouts and pick BPA, don't pick a LT just because of the position.

Archived