• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera on First Take (Today)

SetfreexX

3 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

He got worst as the year progressed. It was sad for sure. Did Ron wait too long? Likely. But hind sight is always 20-20. Probably the hardest position to bench is the quarterback. Look at the debacle in Tampa switching quarterback weekly due to poor performance. 

I thought you said he doesn't control all that and it's up to the medical people?

34 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I thought you said he doesn't control all that and it's up to the medical people?

Playing Cam at that point wasn't a medical decision as there was no damage or risk of further damage. It was performance and how much pain Cam could play with. Cam wanted to play and Norv felt he could scheme around Newton's limitations  so Rivera went along until the performance was so bad it was clear Cam wasn't the best option and no amount of game planning could make up the difference.

55 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

Anyone have a clue as to who they’re going to bring in to “compete” with Cam? Does anyone seriously think Cam could lose his job?

Hard to say until we know how Cam progresses. I expect we will bring in a draft pick and a free agent to compete. But I doubt he would lose him job. Worse case is he won't be resigned in 2 years.

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

That would be an excuse sir. Anyone willing to protect an asset would play it conservitave. A HC not pulling Cam last year when even the fans could see the QB was hurt and playing not all that well. But the medical staff. Next will be the coach of the year award in 2015.

Does the team pay you to troll this site and make excuses for their poor performances?

panther55 already said it, but Cam said he was fine, medical staff said fine...general soreness blah, blah, blah.  I think the hit against Pittsburgh was the hit that ultimately did Cam in for the year though.  At the time we were 6-2 or 6-3...still in the hunt for the playoffs.  So if Cam insists he's just sore, and the doc's can't find anything wrong, what coach is going to put Heinicke or Allen in at that point?  And as we saw Cam at 10% is better than both of those guys.  Once we were totally eliminated from playoff consideration, that's the point he should've been taken out.  I think that may have been by the next to last game.

In any case, players play through injuries ALL THE TIME.  And technically according to everybody including Cam he wasn't injured, just sore.  

3 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Yeah because you only need one great player on offense and defense to do well. 

If you call what Ron has done "doing well", I think that's a low bar.  Clearly Cam and Luke can't do it all by themselves, but about 25+ other teams would trade their two best offensive/defensive players for them

9 minutes ago, PantherNation123 said:

If you call what Ron has done "doing well", I think that's a low bar.  Clearly Cam and Luke can't do it all by themselves, but about 25+ other teams would trade their two best offensive/defensive players for them

Kuechly yep but with the uncertainty around Cam, it would be few if any would trade for his 23 million cap hit this year.

Archived