• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draftek New Mock Updated 2/20

Catufb85

16th Pick : DT Dexter Lawrence:In this week's DraftTek DRAFTSIM, the Carolina Panthers don't just draft a player, they choose to make a statement. That statement being we dare you, nay, we DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU to run the football on Dexter Lawrence! It's not every day that you see a 6' 5", 340-pound behemoth of a human being move with the fluidity and athleticism of Lawrence. He is much more than just a space-eating Moai statue. At Clemson, the true junior played most of his reps as a 1-technique defensive tackle in a 4-3 alignment. But don't be surprised if a team decides to try his hand as a 3-tech, as Lawrence has shown the ability to do so while rushing the passer effectively.

As a true freshman being coached under Brent Venables' defense in Death Valley, the big man erupted onto the scene with a season that saw him garner 6.5 sacks and 62 total tackles en route to a national championship for the Tigers. Lawrence's numbers since have not been quite as gaudy, but 3 seasons' worth of film prove he is a magnet for double-teams. He can instantly collapse the pocket as soon as the ball is snapped.

Having such a disruptive force at the Nose Tackle position would be a huge asset to the Panthers, as it would allow their dynamic linebacking duo of Luke Kuechly and Shaq Thompson to be able to flow freely to the football and roam sideline to sideline unimpeded. Check out the C3 Carolina Cat Chronicles podcast Tuesday nights at 9 PM to hear us discuss all the latest in Panther Nation!

47th Pick : Khaleb McCray OT 6'7:Kaleb McGary is a player who saw his draft stock significantly improve over the course of the Senior Bowl and its practices. It didn't matter if it was the Big 12 Defensive Lineman of the Year Charles Omenihu, or the promising but lesser-known edge-rusher John Cominsky out of Charleston, McGary looked impressive at just about every turn.

It's hard to teach 6'8 325 pounds, and yet even harder to find someone who uses that size to dominate defenders on a consistent basis. He is very agile for a guy his size and is a constant threat to pull and block downfield for his running back.

McGary has a very fleet-footed kick-set that allows him to effortlessly lead the defender around the quarterback. Some teams might view Kaleb as a RD1 prospect depending on his performance at the Combine. However, if he falls to the 47th pick the Panthers would be absolutely foolish not to jump on him to bolster an already-porous offensive line.

77th Pick: WR Missouri Emanuel Hall 6'2 220 : 2018 37 receptions 828 yards and 6 TDs

108th Pick: DE Clemson Austin Bryant 6'4 265: 44 total tackles, 18 solo 26 assist and 8 sacks

143th Pick: OG UNC-Charlotte Nate Davis 6'3 317: https://charlotte49ers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=834

173th Pick: Safety Wisconsin D'Kota Dixon 5'10 204 : http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3121542/dcota-dixon

Meets all of our needs. 

Lawrence is a beast for sure.  I wouldnt be mad at that pick, but I think we could do better at another position of need.  We need someone who can contribute to the defense on day one.  Preferably as a pass rusher.

I'm fine with the other picks as well, the OT in Round 2 is intriguing....I hadnt heard of him before.

2 minutes ago, Catufb85 said:

Yeah I usually look at this site because they add quite of bit of information. But I don't like this one either.

I mean it’s gonna be like this until the draft. I think a lot of websites and mocks try to stir the pot to get more traffic and people talking about it. I don’t mind the first round pick but the rest of it looks terrible. 

No way in hell we draft a DT with the 1st pick, even if the guy is a stud, we are paying...

KK / Poe / Butler -- and two of the three for likely at least two more years. 

EDGE, and T is where our top two picks go, anyone reporting outside that is foolish unless somehow, someway we're able to sign quality EDGE, or a T in free agency, which is expensive and I don't anticipate we spend our cap there excluding the extension to Williams. 

Drafting OL and DL higher and having them 4 -5 years makes way more sense given our position and financial ability currently. 

Mine pre combine and pre FA

1st: Montez Sweat-  Strong Edge rushing class with Edge rusher as a major Weakness.  Sweat can play standing up or hands in the dirt so would fit the hybrid.

2nd: Garrett Bradbury- when your franchise all-pro Center for over the last decade retires, you have to replace him.  Bradbury is the top Center in the draft with a Very high ceiling.  Oh and he is a local Charlotte kid.

3rd: Michael Deiter- the OL took a HUGE step back with the loss of Norwell.  Deiter is a huge upgrade to last year at LG.

3rd comp: Kendall Sheffield- Sheffield is a Speedsters at CB.  In todays NFL you need multiple solid CBs

4th: Elijah Holyfield- Panthers need to find that compliment RB, and big bruiser.  We didnt take advantage of CJ this past year.  But watching the Rams and Gurley in the playoffs/Super bowl this year, makes them look Hard for a RB2.  Gurley carried the workload much like CMC did this year.

5th: Mitch Hyatt- Just need to be working on building depth at OL

6th: Jalen Hurd- Great athlete, project WR

I would love that pick.  

His presence would have a ripple effect throughout the defense. 

Obviously, if there is a more impacted DE or S available, then make that pick.   But Dexter is a fuging monster.  He reminds me a little of Kris Jenkins, can just disrupt the offense with sheer power and quickness.  

18 minutes ago, stbugs said:

If we release Poe there’s a decent amount of cap savings. Use that for a FA DE and I’m fine with Lawrence. No link to the draft so it’s hard to say who I would take instead. 

Releasing Poe opens a chunk but not a Ton

Out Edge rushers signed for next year are as follows

Addison (who took a step back last year)

Obada (still a project)

Haynes (undersized who couldnt get activated more than 2 games last year due to his size)

Cutting Poe and drafting Dexter Lawerence at 16 still leaves a major hole on the defense.  And the 5 mil or so cutting Poe isnt going to be near enough to get a solid starting Calibre DE.   Clowney and Lawerence will be asking north of 18 mil a year.

We literally were among the bottom of the league among rushing the passer last year due to the edge rushers.  

We touched Eli Fugging Manning LESS times than he did in his training camp with the "dont touch the QB red Jersey" 

Archived