• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So when we line up in the 3-4...

rayzor

What is it likely to look like?

I'm genuinely curious.

DL will be who?

LB corps will be...? 

Give me some of your ideas what it will look like and who we have can fit all the roles? 

If the answer isn't on the roster, who would be reasonable FA targets and who would we be targeting in the draft to fill it out?

I guess we also have to keep in mind that the way rivera was talking this week, it will be a group that they can move from the 4-3 to a 3-4 without making any substitutions so that might make it a little more interesting.

btw, If you're looking for ideas from me, you won't find them. I honestly don't have a clue how it's going to work or how to pull it off.

Well none of the guys we have besides Irvin has played 3-4 in the NFL. We can say this guy can play here and this guy can play there, but we really don't know if it will work. It's really just something Rivera is trying out to see if it saves his job.

Yeah @Daddy Uncle nailed it. I think keeping Shaq outside is probably the best bet because I think Haynes could navigate better inside than Shaq. Setting the edge is Shaq's strong suit and it simplifies his zone responsibilities on passing downs.

KK at end is also a no-brainer for a 3-4, especially with Shaq/Irvin playing outside of him. 

We honestly have good personnel for it at this point. It's all about how we implement it and how creative we can be with different looks and disguising what we're trying to do. 3-4 defenses can be abused if they're too predictable because you give up natural running lanes much easier.

Really don't think it'll look that different personnel wise, except potentially lining up some of our smaller DE's at OLB more often (Haynes, Addison even). 

DL - Addison, Poe, KK - - 2 draft picks here

LBs - Irvin, Zach Brown (?), Luke, Shaq - Draft pick here (Andre & Carter as depth) 

Numbers game gets a little funky with how we identify some guys, but could be some interesting cuts depending on how big of a switch we're making

1 hour ago, KillerKat said:

Well none of the guys we have besides Irvin has played 3-4 in the NFL. We can say this guy can play here and this guy can play there, but we really don't know if it will work. It's really just something Rivera is trying out to see if it saves his job.

Poe played the majority of his career as a 3-4 nose tackle.

Anybody concerned about Kuechly in this system? He has to take on more blocks with one less extra lineman. Not sure if he will be the same player in a 3-4.

Which is why I think OLB will be our pick. We need another playmaker at the LB spot someone who can run and tackle. Not sold on our LB core besides Kuechly. Shaq has his up's and downs. Not consistent enough to be counted on like TD was.

Would not be shocked if we go LB in round 1.

4 minutes ago, Trill OG said:

Anybody concerned about Kuechly in this system? He has to take on more blocks with one less extra lineman. Not sure if he will be the same player in a 3-4.

Honestly, yes. It's going to be more wear and tear on Luke. Ray Lewis has always been very vocal about his dislike of the 3-4.

1 hour ago, Trill OG said:

Which is why I think OLB will be our pick. We need another playmaker at the LB spot someone who can run and tackle. Not sold on our LB core besides Kuechly. Shaq has his up's and downs. Not consistent enough to be counted on like TD was.

Would not be shocked if we go LB in round 1.

I'm very concerned with Kuechly in a 3-4. Which is why I didn't want to do it while he is here.

Archived