• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Minter & Hall of Honor

Mike Minter & the Hall of Honor  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Should Mike Minter be Inducted

• Yes
    • No

14 hours ago, Still Brooklyn said:

First I'd remove the PSL fans, and McCormick or whatever his name is. Should be players only.

But ... Mills, Smith, and Kasay. Eventually Peppers. Luke and Cam down the road.

Minter, Walls, Kevin Greene, Gross, Thomas Davis, Jake, etc. all have great stories, but they just aren't top tier. Hell, I'd even consider saying no to Kasay as it defeats my criteria. Hoover deserves it but he's a FB and no one cares about FBs.

Greene is a HOFer who averaged like 13 sacks per season w/ us.   I mean, the only person that ever put on a Panther uniform that is in a  different tier than Greene would be Reggie White. 

but I could see an argument that 3 years in a Panther uniform alone isn't enough.   He he largely is viewed as not a Panther.  But Sam Mills is largely viewed as a Saint though and only played 3 years here too.   Obivously he was more than a player though. 

Greene is the trickiest one.  Because he is a GOAT. And unlike Reggie White, was still playing like one in a Panther uniform. 

49 minutes ago, CRA said:

Greene is a HOFer who averaged like 13 sacks per season w/ us.   I mean, the only person that ever put on a Panther uniform that is in a  different tier than Greene would be Reggie White. 

but I could see an argument that 3 years in a Panther uniform alone isn't enough.   He he largely is viewed as not a Panther.  But Sam Mills is largely viewed as a Saint though and only played 3 years here too.   Obivously he was more than a player though. 

Greene is the trickiest one.  Because he is a GOAT. And unlike Reggie White, was still playing like one in a Panther uniform. 

Julius Peppers was a better NFL player than Kevin Greene in my opinion.

The recency bias is strong in this thread.

In his 9 years in the NFL, all with the Panthers, Minter made 790 tackles, 9.5 sacks, 15 forced fumbles, 8 fumble recoveries, 15 interceptions, a franchise-record 421 return yards, and 4 defensive touchdowns, including a franchise-record-tying 2 in 2003

Minter retired with team records for game starts (141) and consecutive starts (94), as well as for fumble recoveries and interceptions resulting in touchdowns.

He was a fiery leader, a thumper on the back end, and with the ball, he was gonna score.  What more can you ask for?

I do not know how you can not include Kasey.  Yes, he had a bad kick off in the super bowl, but how many games did he win for the team?  He was the longest original Panther and when he lined up for a kick everyone knew it was going to be good.

T. Davis should be inducted the second he signs with the team to retire, and his statue should go up the next year.  Davis is the perfect example of keep pounding  and I think the heart and soul of the defense.   I hope Luke can fill the massive leadership void left by his departure.  I own 2 jerseys,  Davis and Luke.  Imho, they are the example the other players should emulate.  But I also tend to lean more towards the defense side of the ball.

These conversations are null until we know what the Hall of honor represents.  We need a structure to help this system become automatic rather than a debate.  There is already a system in place for "elite" players and that is the Hall of Fame.  We don't need to duplicate that.  We can certainly retire a jersey but that would have to be a once a generation sort of thing.  So the question is do we make the Hall of Honor a sub section of the Hall of Fame or deowe make it a "walk down memory lane" of greats?  I don't have a problem with the top 10 player/coaches/impactors of a generation making it in.  I think every 5-7 years you are going to have 2-5 people that will be so impactful that fans during their time will never forget them why not remember them?  I think too much emphasis is being placed on stats and (worthless) pro bowl nominations.  Lets do 3 tiers:

1) Hall of Fame:  Panthers retire Jersey and dedicate a statue and place in the Hall of Honor.

2) Just missed Hall of Fame (or is once in a generation inspiration): Panthers dedicate a statue and place in the Hall of Honor.  

3) Not hall of fame candidate but impactful to the Panthers (coach or player): Hall of honor.  

On 5/8/2019 at 11:02 PM, Still Brooklyn said:

If we just add names willy nilly, we'll need an entire stadium just for names. I don't even think Gross deserves it.

I think you are right. Smitty, maybe Kasay, and later Peppers.  That is it for me.  These are the players who people will never  forget.  When I think of great panthers, Minter never enters my mind.  He was solid--good person--but not great.  Jenkins, Gross, Moose, Delhomme, Kalil--a player has to be a notch above them in my opinion.

Great ideas by me:

Retire #89.  He was THAT good.  However I have a different idea for statues---and here it is--

Give Inspirational players a statue-- Sam Mills, Delhomme, the players who represent the spirit of the team--I would like to see one for  Brad Hoover  (played entire career here--ultimate underachiever.  Hoover a local boy from a local university who defied the odds and had a solid career and was a fan favorite).  These are players who have a story behind them, one that you want to tell kids at the statue--not based on their greatness as players, but their greatness as symbols. 

Irony--Delhomme likes horses but was a long shot as an NFL QB--played in Europe before earning a backup job in the NFL.  Comes to Carolina, becomes a hero in his first game in relief and becomes a SB QB...Great story. 

Irony--if we did what I suggest, 2 of our statues were free agents from the Saints...

I think the problem here is that there is no consensus as to WHY we are honoring players.

If you think it should simply be performance based, then no, Minter shouldn't be included because while he was a good safety, he wasn't spectacular.

However, if you are basing it on the impact and influence a player had on the team (which could be either/both performance and as a leader), then without question, Minter should be included.  It's why he would make it and not guys like Gamble who had similar production, but far less influence as a leader.

Personally, I believe we are not just voting on all-time great players, but all-time great PANTHERS.  That includes players that were important both on the field as well as in the locker room and in the community.  So yes, without question, Minter should eventually get in, IMO.

Archived