• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are the Panthers NFC South Favorites?

Seltzer

https://lastwordonprofootball.com/2019/06/30/are-the-panthers-nfc-south-favorites/

TL;DR: The Panthers were on pace with the Saints last year, with Cam starting to get MVP mention, CMC breaking out, and D-Jax looking like a potential DROY, until Cam got hurt and the team lost a lot of close games over the 2nd Half.

They believe the Panthers had the best off-season (free agency & draft) of the division and are a the biggest threat to dethrone the Saints and win the NFCS in 2019.

On a side note, it's interesting (and refreshing) to see legitimate football sources (and I don't count the blowhards from the big-name national media anymore) believe the Panthers are much closer to contention than those who really don't follow the team.  I believe as the season approaches, most "national" publications will push the same tired narrative about Cam and pick us to finish 3rd in the division. 

No one ultimately knows until the games are played, but I for one believe whole-heartedly this roster can compete for a SB this year.

Good read, but this is always a dangerous game to play in July. I mean, sure, I could see it being the case. Too many variables, however, between now and January to truly know. 

I don’t believe Tampa will be as improved as many think. It’s time to win in Atlanta again—they’re due. The Saints slipped by Carolina and their one-armed passer by a whisker last December. The gap isn’t too wide. 

A healthy Cam will be hard to stop. 

31 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I hope not. We always play our best when the least is expected of us.

Your point is well taken, but I don't think many publications, especially the big-name national ones, are going to predict anything out of us, so I think overall, very little is going to be expected of the Panthers outside of our fanbase.

We got younger and faster.  I think it may take time to gel but we will finish strong like usual Nov Dec are our best months in recent years, apart from last year obviously. 

Can we win win close games?  Is Ron willing to put it on Cam to convert 4th and short?  Is our kicker reliable?  Look anything is possible.

Brees has been so good for so long.  I feel like last season you finally started to perhaps see a drop off, interested to see if the 2019 season brings more regression from him.  I can only hope.  ATL is due for a bounce back and they're going to be pissed if it doesn't happen after using all that draft capital on the O-line.  TB is....well TB, they have been bad to mediocre for so long, I don't ever know what to expect.  Feel like some pundits pick them for a "break out" year every off-season because someone will eventually be accurate, right?

We definitely have a chance.  But best on paper doesn't always translate to the field; However, a motivated Cam is the most dangerous Cam, and the Gerald McCoy singing was big for the D.  On and off the field.

Only 4 weeks until the first preseason game!

9 hours ago, Seltzer said:

https://lastwordonprofootball.com/2019/06/30/are-the-panthers-nfc-south-favorites/

TL;DR: The Panthers were on pace with the Saints last year, with Cam starting to get MVP mention, CMC breaking out, and D-Jax looking like a potential DROY, until Cam got hurt and the team lost a lot of close games over the 2nd Half.

They believe the Panthers had the best off-season (free agency & draft) of the division and are a the biggest threat to dethrone the Saints and win the NFCS in 2019.

On a side note, it's interesting (and refreshing) to see legitimate football sources (and I don't count the blowhards from the big-name national media anymore) believe the Panthers are much closer to contention than those who really don't follow the team.  I believe as the season approaches, most "national" publications will push the same tired narrative about Cam and pick us to finish 3rd in the division. 

No one ultimately knows until the games are played, but I for one believe whole-heartedly this roster can compete for a SB this year.

Actually I have been seeing a lot of good buzz about our team in the media.  I think most people realize that if Cam comes back healthy that we have a loaded roster and the potential to really do some damage.  I think everyone is cautiously optimistic until we see how Cam is doing.

Has history been re-written about the Pittsburgh game? If my memory serves me correctly, Cam didn't get injured in the Pittsburgh game. He was already injured and the Steelers just exposed the fact that he couldn't throw the ball more than 10 yards and gave the rest of the league the blueprint on how to beat the Panthers. Am I wrong?

55 minutes ago, Khaki Lackey said:

Has history been re-written about the Pittsburgh game? If my memory serves me correctly, Cam didn't get injured in the Pittsburgh game. He was already injured and the Steelers just exposed the fact that he couldn't throw the ball more than 10 yards and gave the rest of the league the blueprint on how to beat the Panthers. Am I wrong?

His arm was not 100% all season, but he took a direct helmet shot on his shoulder from TJ Watt that game and was never the same after that.  After that game was when we saw him begin to struggle to get the ball 10 yards down the field.

33 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

No.  We are consistently picked 4 of 4.  After McCoy, we may be slated ahead of the Bucs now, but nationally we are nowhere near favorites.

Thats not true.  I have seen us ranked as high as 10 in some sites power rankings.

Archived