• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Aside from Cam's shoulder....what is the biggest factor?

rayzor

We all know that the biggest deciding factor in deciding success or failure is Cam's shoulder/health. 

After that, though, what is the thing that could make us or break us?

Secondary/safety?

Pass rush?

Pass protection?

My biggest one is whether or not Rivera runs the defense or if he hands it back to Washington. Rivera is one of the best defensive minds in the game and the defense just seemed to lack a lot with Washington in charge, I don't want to see us go back to that. 

What y'all got?

First 

how do the players play under a new scheme, a lot of new faces on defense. 

Second 

the o-line. If we can solidify that with Ryan gone and Williams being good after his injury, cam will have good looks and time and CMC will continue to dominate 

Aside from Cam... O-line.  If Little can just be average and Cam is ok.  This is a playoff team with or without a good or even an average defense.  The defense can be poo and this team could still win 10 games if that happens.

4 minutes ago, bababoey said:

Aside from Cam... O-line.  If Little can just be average and Cam is ok.  This is a playoff team with or without a good or even an average defense.  The defense can be poo and this team could still win 10 games if that happens.

Completely disagree. Cam has to have a defense. Statistically the online has been average or better for years now.

Last year, the defense/push rush was god awful. Aside from Cams shoulder it’s the biggest issue and passes the eye and statistics test. This whole oline is the issue for the last 8 years has not been the case. 

After Cams health it has to be how the defense transitions to Ron’s new hybrid scheme. If players respond well and our front can get pressure Jackson, Bradberry, Reid and the FS will look like all-pros

I think the o-line is next. We have two guys coming off injuries and a rookie trying to claim the LT spot. Also questions about who starts at LG. If Matsko can work his magic like he did last year this could be the most dominant line the Panthers have ever had... which means Cam goes to the Pro Bowl and gets 30 mil a year

2 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Pass rush, pass rush, pass rush, and some more pass rush. Especially in a division like ours with Brees and Ryan and the offensive weapons they have.

True and with a sketchy/thin secondary, we're going to be relying on that pass rush even more. I'm hoping the scheme change and the additions to the lineup (McCoy, Burns, etc.) help.

After last year... when the d-line under-performed  while the throw-together oline held up for so long...I never would have predicted that.  I'm afraid to guess.   Maybe secondary (safety nickel), o-line?

In the end, I'd have to say coaching.  When the defense couldn't get set because they didn't get the scheme in...I felt like shula was running  defense.  ...I didn't even realize that was happening until All or Nothing...When practice is business as usual after losing to Tampa Bay and TD has to shut off the happy tunes, I'm sorry but belicheck would be all over that shiit.

It seems like each game, a different link in the chain broke and they were never all playing at their best.  If the d played well, the O couldn't produce.  When the O played well, the D got run over.  Lots of it was just mistakes and failure to perform consistently at an elite level.  To me, that's coaching.

I think RR and company are really good coaches.  They have to up their game to be great ones.

2 hours ago, Lumps said:

Completely disagree. Cam has to have a defense. Statistically the online has been average or better for years now.

Last year, the defense/push rush was god awful. Aside from Cams shoulder it’s the biggest issue and passes the eye and statistics test. This whole oline is the issue for the last 8 years has not been the case. 

Yeah, I think defense as a whole is going to be our biggest issue.  Our run D was terrible for a good portion of the season last year, and so was our deep pass defense.  We got shredded down the field by teams with good QB's.  Hopefully a lot of that can be fixed by an upgraded pass rush, Eric Reid having a full offseason and year in our system, and Donte Jackson showing marked improvement from year 1 to year 2.  I think if these things happen we are definitely a playoff team, at the very least.

Archived