• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Serious discussion- what do we do at backup QB?

therealmjl

It's preseason. No gameplanning, no real preparation for an opponent. We're not calling plays like we will in the season and we're not rolling a full team for a defense to contend with.

Or at least I am hoping to god that is the case because if not, we are in deep poo even with Cam out there. Pass coverage is.... yikes.

Relax guys. 

Plenty of HOF QBs had poor starts in the league. NFL.com has stat lines on all of them. Brett Favre’s fist NFL game (not preseason) was worse than Grier

Allen was undrafted for a reason - and has been in the system for a year. He is what he is

Grier is a talented kid getting his feet under him.

Give it time

13 hours ago, Shocker said:

I won’t post the amazing love and affection you have shown Grier on this board.  I was trying to like him but he isn’t any good.  I’ve been saying that since before the draft.  This is dumb...go love the guy all you want but he won’t be in the NFL in 2 years.  

He's a 3rd round QB. It's not like it wasn't a 50/50 shot. Still writing a player off after two pre season games when they were drafted day 2 is ignorant. 

Grier needs a year as backup. Allen looked good against a weakened Saints team. We don't want either of those as starter and I would expect any regular season starts to be rocky.

As an aside have any 2019 drafted QBs looked good?

Edit: Ryan Finley looked good and Haskins looked decent this week.

I’m not thrilled to say the least right now.  You might not agree with this but I am gonna give Grier a little bit of a pass right now.  He was a 3rd round pick for a reason.  The game is just way too fast for him right now.  He needs a redshirt year.  I will hold longterm judgement on him right now.  

Allen on the other hand has a full season under his belt and looks as lost as Grier.   Yeah he was an UDFA, but even his passes looked like ducks out there.   

Next 2 games will be interesting to see who can calm down and handle the speed of the game.   

23 hours ago, t96 said:

Serious — We can not overreact to 1 preseason game.

Are you kidding? The sky is falling, how do you not see it? 

It was a disappointment, nothing more, fans here should take some deep breaths and wait to slash their wrists if something like this happens week 1. 

Inexperience shows.  With some specific plays Allen could be fine if he is spoon fed them in practice.  They just looked unprepared, maybe Allen mistakenly thinks he can coast through the preseason as back up position is his to lose.  That’s where you are wrong buddy and you have 2 games left to show your stuff. 

Archived