• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CPcavedweller

Week 1: Panthers lose by 5 to the Seahawks in Week 1 thanks largely to a Deangelo fumble near the red zone later in the game. 

Week 2: Panthers lose on a last second touchdown from EJ Manuel to Stevie Johnson in the corner of the end zone, thanks largely due to having cornerbacks play safety. Luke was also beat on a play which was uncharacteristic and similar to the dropped interception in this game.

Week 3: Panthers get their poo together and dominate the Giants 38-0.

Week 4: Bye Week

From then the Panthers went 12-4, nabbing the NFC South Championship in what began a string of three NFCS Division Championships. If Christian McCaffrey, much like the safety who was supposed to take Stevie Johnson to the corner, waits for his blocks to develop he has a massive hole to cut back into for a touchdown he could've scored walking backwards. In a game of inches and communication, sometimes that breaks down. 

What did the Panthers have going for them in 2013 despite the first two weeks? Solid defense. What do we have in 2019? Solid defense. I will wait until after Week 4 to declare the season dead but if Ron Rivera can Right the ship, which we've seen him do before, this could still be a special season. Cam and the defense took the close loss to the Bills in 2013 hard and the season became magical almost overnight. I expect no less here.

Side Note: Ron Rivera coached teams have always been less than spectacular after Bye Weeks and on short week games. Don't read too much in to this. 

EDIT: The responses here are comparing how we looked in Week 8 of 2013 to how we look through two weeks this season. The purpose of this exercise was to show the similarities, through two weeks, between 2013 and 2019. Other than it being an odd number, we will be fine. I'm sure if at Week 8 of 2018 I had said we would finish 7-9, I would've been derided, but there we were. So stick to the program and compare apples to apples. Week 1-3 2013 to Week 1-3 2019. 

1 minute ago, carolina-chucky said:

We had an elite defense that year. Go back and watch the Panthers vs SF week 10 game. 

Yea the defense played great in the opener against Seattle, who won the Superbowl that year.

2019 defense has not been great. They gave up a ton of 3rd down conversions last night. What games are y'all watching??

2 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

Week 1: Panthers lose by 5 to the Seahawks in Week 1 thanks largely to a Deangelo fumble near the red zone later in the game. 

Week 2: Panthers lose on a last second touchdown from EJ Manuel to Stevie Johnson in the corner of the end zone, thanks largely due to having cornerbacks play safety. Luke was also beat on a play which was uncharacteristic and similar to the dropped interception in this game.

Week 3: Panthers get their poo together and dominate the Giants 38-0.

Week 4: Bye Week

From then the Panthers went 12-4, nabbing the NFC South Championship in what began a string of three NFCS Division Championships. If Christian McCaffrey, much like the safety who was supposed to take Stevie Johnson to the corner, waits for his blocks to develop he has a massive hole to cut back into for a touchdown he could've scored walking backwards. In a game of inches and communication, sometimes that breaks down. 

What did the Panthers have going for them in 2013 despite the first two weeks? Solid defense. What do we have in 2019? Solid defense. I will wait until after Week 4 to declare the season dead but if Ron Rivera can Right the ship, which we've seen him do before, this could still be a special season. Cam and the defense took the close loss to the Bills in 2013 hard and the season became magical almost overnight. I expect no less here.

Side Note: Ron Rivera coached teams have always been less than spectacular after Bye Weeks and on short week games. Don't read too much in to this. 

Agreed. However, our offense was clicking in 2013, Cam was healthy & o-line could block. This season, it's the opposite.

The defense in 2013 was way better. Hardy and CJ were terrifying. We had healthy Thomas Davis with a robot leg. The defense right now is struggling to get sacks when the '13 season I think put up 60.

We also ran the ball a ton that year and gave up on it pretty much immediately last night.

Only thing going for us right now is we have a pretty weak schedule with Bucs again, Cardinals, 49ers, Texans who have their own OL issues, etc coming up before the bye. We need to win three or all of these games to want a chance at the playoffs with how brutal the schedule becomes later in the year.

5 minutes ago, MountaineerChemist10 said:

Agreed. However, our offense was clicking in 2013, Cam was healthy & o-line could block. This season, it's the opposite.

Our game against Seattle ended 12-7 and we only scored 20 points against the Bills....

We scored 27 points against the Rams and 14 against the Bucs. If McCaffrey makes the right read, we have 21. That is a better start over two weeks than we had in 2013.

I understand the doom and gloom here, and I feel it too. But things are likely to get better from here. We have a match-up with Kliff Kingsbury, of all people, coming up with a QB used to making one read and going. Their offense is simple and getting after the QB should be no problem.

Week 3 will be the start of a turnaround and I believe we win somewhere in the 30 - 10 range, similar to our Week 3 blowout of the Giants in 2013. I'll eat crow on that if I'm wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Zithers2 said:

The defense in 2013 was way better. Hardy and CJ were terrifying. We had healthy Thomas Davis with a robot leg. The defense right now is struggling to get sacks when the '13 season I think put up 60.

We also ran the ball a ton that year and gave up on it pretty much immediately last night.

Only thing going for us right now is we have a pretty weak schedule with Bucs again, Cardinals, 49ers, Texans who have their own OL issues, etc coming up before the bye. We need to win three or all of these games to want a chance at the playoffs with how brutal the schedule becomes later in the year.

Jameis Winston made throws last night that we've not seen him make against us in any match-up. Usually he misses those throws but he was putting them on guys. Those types of games happen. 

You guys also keep comparing the entire year, and how it turned out, to this seasons first two games. 

Compare 2013 first two games to now. The outcomes and causes are similar. You can't compare how that team ended up being midseason to how V. 2019 is performing through Week 2. 

3 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Our game against Seattle ended 12-7 and we only scored 20 points against the Bills....

We scored 27 points against the Rams and 14 against the Bucs. If McCaffrey makes the right read, we have 21. That is a better start over two weeks than we had in 2013.

I understand the doom and gloom here, and I feel it too. But things are likely to get better from here. We have a match-up with Kliff Kingsbury, of all people, coming up with a QB used to making one read and going. Their offense is simple and getting after the QB should be no problem.

Week 3 will be the start of a turnaround and I believe we win somewhere in the 30 - 10 range, similar to our Week 3 blowout of the Giants in 2013. I'll eat crow on that if I'm wrong. 

Sure do hope so

Archived