• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So did Rivera give control of the defense back to Washington?

rayzor

I had this sick suspicion that he had last week, but I haven't wanted to go back and watch that poo show of a game last week to see.

It sure seems like he did and if he did, he needs to be gone or at least reminded again by tepper how stupid that is.

I'm starting to feel bad for Tepper. Guy pays 2+ billion of his own money and keeps putting money into developing and growing the team only to be stuck with the clowns running this show. I'd be pissed.

I honestly don't think he has ever really fully taken over the defensive play calling.  I think he's gradually eased Washington back into calling the defense in the last two games.  I'm going to be watching intently in the next game who is calling the shots on the sidelines.

Just a general observation. But I hate that Eric Washington is taking the brunt of criticism over this. He didn't promote himself. Ron considered exactly zero outside candidates for the DC position the same as he did with Norv at OC.

You could argue that maybe other coaches saw the writing on the wall that Ron was maybe on the hot seat so to speak. But I personally don't buy it. Many teams over the last several years have had a revolving door at head coach, and still brought in coordinators. The Bucs brought in Todd Bowles. Seems like it has worked out well for them.

I'm just gonna say it, but I fear Ron was looking more for potential scapegoat material in the offensive and defensive coordinator positions rather than what was actually best for maximizing the talent we have.

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

I honestly don't think he has ever really fully taken over the defensive play calling.  I think he's gradually eased Washington back into calling the defense in the last two games.  I'm going to be watching intently in the next game who is calling the shots on the sidelines.

Probably so, and if it is, we deserve to lose.

Fire his moronic arse. So dumb.

11 hours ago, TheRed said:

Just a general observation. But I hate that Eric Washington is taking the brunt of criticism over this. He didn't promote himself. Ron considered exactly zero outside candidates for the DC position the same as he did with Norv at OC.

You could argue that maybe other coaches saw the writing on the wall that Ron was maybe on the hot seat so to speak. But I personally don't buy it. Many teams over the last several years have had a revolving door at head coach, and still brought in coordinators. The Bucs brought in Todd Bowles. Seems like it has worked out well for them.

I don't blame washington for being a horrible DC. I blame rivers for not recognizing it and/or continuing to utilize him in that capacity.

Just because you believe a guy can do a job doesn't mean he can. At some point you have to open your eyes to reality and move on.

5 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I don't blame washington for being a horrible DC. I blame rivers for not recognizing it and/or continuing to utilize him in that capacity.

Just because you believe a guy can do a job doesn't mean he can. At dome point you have to open your eyes to reality and move on.

I added a little more to the post, but I still can't shake the feeling the Washington and Turner hires were Ron playing it safe in terms of both keeping his own job intact/not being challenged and if things went south someone to take the blame. As Washington did so last year. Which honestly wasn't all that fair. If you recall Sean McDermott was fired from Philadelphia after a subpar debut as defensive coordinator. We gave him a shot and it worked out well. Honestly our defense has been falling off a cliff since he left. Doesn't bode well for a defensive guru like Rivera. Especially when McDermott traveled down here for practice and proceeded to kick our asses there and in preseason with ease.

26 minutes ago, TheRed said:

I'm just gonna say it, but I fear Ron was looking more for potential scapegoat material in the offensive and defensive coordinator positions rather than what was actually best for maximizing the talent we have.

I agree it's unfair and that the blame should rest mostly on Ron. It's like drafting a player too early, that wanst his fault he wasn't evaluated correctly. At least with coaches you can call it what it is and easily adjust, not that is what we did but we had the option. Washington has showed not one positive trait of a defensive coordinator and yet he maintains the position. That is on Ron and ultimately Tepper for allowing it to continue into this year. FFS, isn't Rogere still lurking on the staff?

I can't tell if Ron positions scapegoats or just naturally finds them in his type of coaching, like a horrible positive of a players coach with guys willing to jump on the grenade because the friendship is so strong. Even Hurney did it once. Dunno, just random thoughts.

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

I had this sick suspicion that he had last week, but I haven't wanted to go back and watch that poo show of a game last week to see.

It sure seems like he did and if he did, he needs to be gone or at least reminded again by tepper how stupid that is.

I'm starting to feel bad for Tepper. Guy pays 2+ billion of his own money and keeps putting money into developing and growing the team only to be stuck with the clowns running this show. I'd be pissed.

Lol what?? You feel bad for the multi-billionaire who owns the team and can get rid of these “clowns” anytime he wants? By your logic, we should feel bad for Rivera cause he’s just stuck with Washington.

2 minutes ago, Mage said:

I’m confused.  Is there any single actually real evidence that Rivera isn’t calling the defensive plays?  Or is this just speculation? 

Mier speculation 

But after all the talk of the 3-4.  How much we used it in camp etc.

We've ran a whole lot of 4-3 again it seems.  And that kind of points the needle back to Washington 

Archived