• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I adopted a 10 week old labrabull from Alabama 3 weeks ago

TheRumGone

And it was absolute hell...to start.

he had a respiratory infection, two different types of parasites and mites that took some of his fur off. Crying in his crate, pissing everywhere, sneezing green mucous. Back and forth to the vet. It was really rough. I forgot how hard it is to train a puppy from my childhood. But this week he turned a corner. He’s done with all his meds and start socializing with other pups and he’s been amazing. Loves cuddles and fetch and walks around the neighborhood. I love this little dude. Glad I got to bring a buddy from the south to the Midwest with me.

So many dogs need good homes. Adopt if you can!

ECE27878-9D92-43F1-9170-A855FBEBCFD2.jpeg

6385BE12-E640-4500-83E4-66B10C111CF6.jpeg

Good for you for adopting ! 

Best and smartest dog I've ever had was a black lab - chow mix.  He belonged to some people who lived next to us at the time and chained him in the back yard and paid no attention to him- poor animal would get scared during thunder storms and jump over the fence into my yard only to hang himself on the short chain - I rescued him from a slow tortured death several times until I finally convinced these shitheads to give him to me.  Of course he had never been to the vet in his whole life and had heartworms when we got him.  He was my best friend for 11 years.  We had to put him down about 15 years ago.  I still miss that dog.

11 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Congrats!  Do yourself and your pup a favor...

Hahaha yeah he’s chipped. Only has that chip tag and it doesn’t jingle. Once he’s full grown I’m getting a stitched or engraved ID on the collar.

the older he’s getting the cuter he’s looking! 

• 2 months later...

One of ours is a pit/lab mix as well- Master of Disaster- "Master" so named for the padlock around his neck when we found him. He's 88 pounds of solid rock.

IMG_0107.thumb.jpg.1a95769f430e5d28d31553fda817fa67.jpg

See the scar inside the left leg? CCL (canine version of the ACL) surgery last August with a 12-week recovery. The ortho vet who did the surgery was pretty reluctant when we first noticed an issue and brought him in. He is so muscular that she had a hard time determining just how much lateral movement (not good) his knee had. Right leg needs to be done, probably late winter/early spring. This is his normal sitting pose now, although he'll occasionally sit upright on his haunches. He can still run and loves to chase squirrels and he's boundary trained, but we leash him for a portion of his daily walks through the woods so he doesn't tear up the other CCL too bad. He's only 1 month since being cleared for full activity from the vet, so we don't want to turn around and put him back in a kennel for another 12 weeks after another surgery.

Just a heads up- it's a fairly common malady among 70-80% of lab and terrier mixes.

18 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

One of ours is a pit/lab mix as well- Master of Disaster- "Master" so named for the padlock around his neck when we found him. He's 88 pounds of solid rock.

See the scar inside the left leg? CCL (canine version of the ACL) surgery last August with a 12-week recovery. The ortho vet who did the surgery was pretty reluctant when we first noticed an issue and brought him in. He is so muscular that she had a hard time determining just how much lateral movement (not good) his knee had. Right leg needs to be done, probably late winter/early spring. This is his normal sitting pose now, although he'll occasionally sit upright on his haunches. He can still run and loves to chase squirrels and he's boundary trained, but we leash him for a portion of his daily walks through the woods so he doesn't tear up the other CCL too bad. He's only 1 month since being cleared for full activity from the vet, so we don't want to turn around and put him back in a kennel for another 12 weeks after another surgery.

Just a heads up- it's a fairly common malady among 70-80% of lab and terrier mixes.

Yeah and hip problems as well. Alaska is a bundle of energy so while he gets plenty of physical exercise I really try to mentally tire him out moreso. Lots of treat puzzles, nose work, and flirt pole training. I’ve found flirt pole training really tires him out mentally. Lots of impulse control with it. He’s smart as a whip and tries to out-game me on the regular.

On 12/9/2019 at 11:16 AM, Anybodyhome said:

Our first Rottie tore his too. Freak accident jumping into my Jeep and slipped on a patch of ice. The Ortho explained to me that the reason most dogs end up tearing the other is because in most situations it's not really an injury as much as it is a degenerative condition that finally met the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. If on knee is bad the other probably is too and the extra stress on the "good leg" during the recover process usually finishes it off too. In our dogs case it fortunately really was just a fluke accident.

Our current Rottie is about the same age as our last one was when he wrecked his knee. 

65926384_10157542637213023_6205499217482

Archived