• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Quick thread on high-level aspects of Cam Newton's play first two weeks

Saca312

It kind of is funny how quick many have turned on Cam and think he's done. I honestly think all that he needs to get better from is his plant foot until he's at 100%. Only reason he couldn't "throw deep" is precisely because he couldn't step in to throw. @ellis went over that a while back on twitter as well.

Additionally, a guy who's well respected in film watching and knowing their stuff believes similarly as well. He goes over some high level aspects of Cam Newton's play that still existed from the first two weeks. Obviously, it wasn't sustainable with a poor plant foot and being played to the ground by the coaching staff, but it goes to show that the MVP-esque Cam we saw during the 6-2 run isn't done.

He also contrasts it with Allen's play a bit. Giving credit when due, and showing how Allen lacks a bit of the same processing Cam Newton does.

There is no doubt that Norv / Scott have made Cam a better player above the shoulders.  Anyone who argues differently is just plain wrong.  The rub comes when you have to take into account the physical condition of CN1.  Where is his shoulder?  What about the foot?  How fragile is he overall now?  These are fair questions to ask of a 30 year old QB who hasn't played at the level he should be capable of for *years*.

Thus why people are quick to look at Kyle Allen as a viable alternative.  No, Kyle Allen doesn't have the same sheer physical gifts that Cam once had.  But does Kyle Allen give us the best chance to win?  Honestly, I think it's a given we are 3-1 had Kyle Allen started the Tampa game.  He *might* have been a better choice vs the Rams.

Right now, evidence suggests Kyle Allen gives us the best chance to win.  And that's really what we should all be asking.  Who gives us the best chance to win.  I'm a Panthers fan.  I want to see my team win, regardless of who is at QB.

To be fair, I haven’t passed judgment on anybody, positive or negative. This is a week to week league. 

I did see some things in Kyle Allen that I liked from last season during my analysis in the summer. No, I didn’t think he would see the field very much. No, I didn’t think he would throw four touchdowns in his first start. But I knew he could play at a high-level, because he actually did that against a very good defense for 30 minutes at New Orleans. That game was dismissed by many as a useless win. There was nothing useless about the time put in by Kyle Allen. He thoroughly embarrassed their starting defense on the road—and the NO game plan wasn’t vanilla.

Again, everybody’s got their own style as to how to analyze what’s going on. I try to stay focused on what’s relevant in the current moment, and to highlight some areas that don’t get a lot of attention. Again, it’s a week to week analysis. The last thing I try to do is cherry-pick anything. If someone sucks, I’m going to say it. If somebody is shining and it’s not getting talked about, I promise you, I will talk about it. 

27 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Doesn't seem onesided at all and completely objective .....

Yeah right .....

There's plenty of examples where Cam did not play up to par.

This thread has the title "high level plays from Cam Newton" all I'm showing is what Cam did really well despite the flaws from his inability to plant his foot and why he'll be great when he's healthy.

Wasn't meant to be "objective" at all given the title. 

17 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Thus why people are quick to look at Kyle Allen as a viable alternative.  No, Kyle Allen doesn't have the same sheer physical gifts that Cam once had.  But does Kyle Allen give us the best chance to win?  Honestly, I think it's a given we are 3-1 had Kyle Allen started the Tampa game.  He *might* have been a better choice vs the Rams.

Fair. However, counter-argument is what if Daryl Williams didn't start at LT? Would we be 4-0?

Probably 3-1 with Cam. Kyle Allen would make it 4-0 imo since he's healthy.

Though if we did Daryl Williams for the first two games with Kyle, I see us beating the Rams, but not tampa tbh.

Though I agree Kyle Allen would've been the better option in either scenario given how Cam needs to get healthy and was limited.

5 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

There's plenty of examples where Cam did not play up to par.

This thread has the title "high level plays from Cam Newton" all I'm showing is what Cam did really well despite the flaws from his inability to plant his foot and why he'll be great when he's healthy.

Wasn't meant to be "objective" at all given the title. 

There are a few throws he says Allen should've made but I believe Allen made the correct decision in not throwing. At each spot where the blogger says Allen should've thrown the ball, the corner or safety broke off their route upon seeing it. 

Example is the tweet saying Allen should've hit Olsen on the deep out. What Allen should've done is pump to Olsen out of the break and hit Samuel down the sideline on a backshoulder throw. 

Just my two cents. Never mind the fact that he was being harassed by Watt and Mercilus. 

I generally try to steer away from suggesting what a player should’ve done in my film analysis. I simply try to point out what happened, and how/why it happened. 

It can prove instructive in terms of learning tendencies. But no, I’m certainly not in the business of coaching players up. 

21 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Finding a few examples and then using them to judge bodies of work is what hobbyist bloggers do.

You can tell whatever story you want by cherry picking to fit what you want to say.

Both miss reads and dont see open receivers. Ones is a 9 year veteran 

Every QB misses reads and open receivers occasionally. Everyone remembers Rodgers throwing the tablet in disgust when seeing that he missed a wide open receiver in the end zone to seal the game for us. Wonder whatever happened to that choke artist scrub?

12 minutes ago, ellis said:

To be fair, I haven’t passed judgment on anybody, positive or negative. This is a week to week league. 

I did see some things in Kyle Allen that I liked from last season during my analysis in the summer. No, I didn’t think he would see the field very much. No, I didn’t think he would throw four touchdowns in his first start. But I knew he could play at a high-level, because he actually did that against a very good defense for 30 minutes at New Orleans. That game was dismissed by many as a useless win. There was nothing useless about the time put in by Kyle Allen. He thoroughly embarrassed their starting defense on the road—and the NO game plan wasn’t vanilla.

Again, everybody’s got their own style as to how to analyze what’s going on. I try to stay focused on what’s relevant in the current moment, and to highlight some areas that don’t get a lot of attention. Again, it’s a week to week analysis. The last thing I try to do is cherry-pick anything. If someone sucks, I’m going to say it. If somebody is shining and it’s not getting talked about, I promise you, I will talk about it. 

I'm still the same on Allen as I've been since last year, "I" for Incomplete (grade, not pass).

Will say this, though. When watching him, you do have to factor in that at the moment, he's still very very inexperienced.

If he continues to play and gain more game experience, and play well in the process, the future could get veddy interestink.

33 minutes ago, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

cam is elite still but if you say “hey maybe we should let him get healthy before writing him off” you get accused of not wanting to win by the same people who want to roll with kyle allen lol. this thread is way too good for this fan base and i won’t blame the dude behind that account when he inevitably deactivates again

Cam was elite. The jury is out on whether he is still elite. 

Can't blame Allen, a second year undrafted player with three starts under his belt, for not looking as good as a former league MVP with 8 seasons of starting experience. The only difference between them is Allen is healthy and practicing. He could be a very good QB one day. He's already a serviceable one. Could be the Panthers QB of the future. Hell he's the QB of the Panthers right now! 

I do hope Cam gets healthy and comes back and leads the team to the playoffs, but like I've said, after the bye, Cam will not have practiced in over a month, and didn't practice much before that either. When was the last time Cam took on a full set of practice reps? That's my big concern with bringing Cam back. Even if he's "healthy" enough to play, is he healthy enough to practice?

Archived