• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Did we land 2 capable LTs in the draft???

Matt62881

1 hour ago, GreensboroPirate said:

What strength does Gettleman have in any area of being a general manager above Hurney?  I would love to hear the logic

Drafting in the 1st round no.

Drafting in the middle rounds, no;  this was an early myth of Gettleman supporters, but with more years, most of Gettleman's picks have busted, whereas Hurney has been drafting high quality guys in the middle rounds.

Free agency;  certainly not

Not giving out bad contracts?  Matt Kalil and Captain Munnerlyn want to have a word.

Signing undrafted free agents?  Kyle Allen is a lot more valuable than Andrew Norwell ever was.

What are these Gettleman strengths?

Gentleman could manage the finances of the organization. He had to fix the gigantic shitpile of a cap that Hurney had left this team. 

He was very business oriented when it came to players. He let players go without emotion. While this is bad at a personal level, emotionaless decisions make sense from an business standpoint.

Contrary to what people say, he drafted ok. His first round wasnt spectacular, but he did ok. Star was a good pick. He didnt have the stats but he plugged that line and KK played extremely well until he was gone. CMC we are seeing now. Shaq is playing lights out this year, and could have been sooner if TD had been allowed to walk earlier (JR decision). KB is a bust but before his injury and loss, he looked like a good selection. Theres no way to tell what he would have become. His later rounds weren't bad either. His worst draft was 2016, but the others landed multiple contributing players.

He managed to find pieces that fit well in FA. While they may not be as flashy in name as Hurney, they were effective. The Kalil contract was a bad contract, no denying it. Hurney handed out a few turd contracts in his first tenure. It wasnt easy to make splashy free agent moves with no cap space. Gettleman also negotiated a very cap friendly deal with Cam. Hurney wouldnt be making all these FA moves if Gettleman hadnt fixed his fug ups.

As for KA over Norwell, it is way too early to say that. Norwell was named all-pro in 2017. KA hasnt achieved anything near that.

I think the most telling sign that his first tenure wasnt good is he got no job offers after he was fired in Carolina. If not for JR, he probably still would be on radio. 

Gettleman wasnt perfect by any stretch but to suggest that Hurney is better than him in every facet of being a GM is laughable.

Again, I say Hurney 2.0 has done a good job. 

2 hours ago, ncfan said:

Think Daley ends up at LG.  

More power.  Also Little is essentially only capable of playing LT.

But those 2 together on the Left side apears like it is going to be something special.  Now if Paradis can live up to his Billing, this OL is going to be Legit

Daley--Gamecock

Wharton--Gamecock

Both played T in college, G/T in the pros.

It would be nice to have a starting LG who could play LT in a pinch.

Daley was not good most of the time at USc.  He played Clemson well, however, and that made him draftable. TB runs a very similar defense to ours, so it could be practice made perfect--how will he do vs. other teams? 

Early signs are good.

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

200+ games isn't exactly a small sample size. I like the moves he's making in his second go round, but I haven't forgotten him torpedoing us with awful contracts and hellacious cap issues that got him fired the first time. I'm going to be a little cautious.

He technically didnt get fired, not really. Instead of firing Rivera he took the sword so Rivera could keep his job. Also more and more signs point to those contracts as more of a JR thing to look good after the lockout mess. 

Not saying Hurney is with out faults because obviously he has them or the record would be better. I honestly think his biggest weakness has been going towards defensive minded coaches and only defensive minded coaches. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-6-team-of-the-week

LT DENNIS DALEY, CAROLINA PANTHERS

For a sixth-round draft pick making just his second start, it doesn’t get much better than this. Daley was impressive in pass protection, allowing just one hit from 36 pass-rushing snaps, and he really impressed as a run blocker, producing an 86.0 PFF run-blocking grade in the game.

E2EM9FQ.png

The only Panther to make the PFF team of the week.

10 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

200+ games isn't exactly a small sample size. I like the moves he's making in his second go round, but I haven't forgotten him torpedoing us with awful contracts and hellacious cap issues that got him fired the first time. I'm going to be a little cautious.

I think it's more fair to say that Hurney has done a very good job of evaluating talent.  Fantastic in fact given the guy never held a scouting job.  Not sure who he actually learned from, but someone clearly helped him along at some point.

I think it's also fair to say that historically, he's done a poor job of placing the correct value on that talent in contract negotiations.  If he cleans up the latter issue, he's got a chance to become a legit GM.

Yea the old Hurney wasnt this good and gettleman was good in the first and with the cap. But honestly this post was about the here and now. 2 weeks ago or 3....i was worried about our oline with williams in there. Now im ecstatic about the possibility of our depth, even williams is good on the right side. Most of our lineman can move wherever and play at an above average level.

As I've been thinking about it, what we REALLY need to know is whether D Williams can still play RIGHT tackle.  If you have Little / Daley capable on the left, and suddenly remember that Williams was actually servicable on the right, suddenly your O Line starts to look REALLY deep.

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

As I've been thinking about it, what we REALLY need to know is whether D Williams can still play RIGHT tackle.  If you have Little / Daley capable on the left, and suddenly remember that Williams was actually servicable on the right, suddenly your O Line starts to look REALLY deep.

Not just servicable but good...if not for the injury he was looking at a 10mil plus payday. But we like to play guyd where they arent comfortable, always shoulda been moton LT williams RT before we knew what we had in Daley or Little.

8 hours ago, GreensboroPirate said:

People are fixated on Clausen because he actually got the opportunity to start, whereas most mid round quarterbacks never start a game in the league.  But if you're picking a quarterback at 48, it's always a lottery ticket.  It would be like if the Packers were still complaining about picking Brian Brohm in the second round.  It's a mid round quarterback pick, what do you expect?

And the fan fiction about how Hurney tried to trade a first round pick for Clausen is just that, fiction, that has never been corroborated by one report or source.  Just gossip that circulates on this forum.  Simple logic should tell you that if he tried to trade a first round pick, someone would have taken him up on the offer.  What, other GMs are now allergic to acquiring first round picks?  Clearly Hurney didn't value Clausen that much, otherwise he wouldn't have waited to take him deep into the 2nd round.

And with regards to Kyle Allen 'falling into his lap';  where was this energy for Andrew Norwell.

You read a thousand times how brilliant Gettleman was for picking up Philly Brown and Andrew Norwell, but when Hurney signs an UDFA, it 'fell into his lap'

You fuging insufferable twat. 

Clausen is a mid rounder now? What does a mid rounder mean to you? Where in that little tumbling ball of weeds do you find the two brain cells necessary to equate the 48th pick in the draft to mid round? Words mean things. You don't just get to make them up as you continue to embarrass yourself. 

Clausen gets poo on because he got the chance to play and didn't look like he belonged at all in the NFL. Not bad, not a lottery ticket, but this guy is not an NFL player. And he wasn't even the worst QB Hurney took in that draft! 

"fiction about how hurney tried to trade a first round pick" This from the guy who claimed Richardson made him give contracts to James Anderson? You will never in your life find any evidence that happened. As far as hurney trying to trade a first rounder for Clausen, is ESPN a good enough source for you? Actually QUOTING MARTY HURNEY

CHARLOTTE, N.C. --

Carolina Panthers general manager Marty Hurney spent much of Friday trying to move up in the draft to take Jimmy Clausen, a day after the Notre Dame quarterback was a surprising first-round snub.

Hurney couldn't strike a deal, however, and when Arizona traded up to the 47th slot -- one pick ahead of the Panthers -- Hurney acknowledged he was crushed, sure the Cardinals were going to take him.

"I could lie, but I won't," Hurney said.

https://www.espn.com/chicago/news/story?id=5130865

Norwell absolutely fell into his lap. No one says he didn't.

Who are you referencing? What are you talking about? You're just screaming into the fuging void. You're not arguing with anyone. You're making up things and taking stands against them. You are the absolute worst incarnation of every single message board stereotype that has ever dragged it's poo stained ass across this forum. You don't even know what you're talking about anymore. You've just been embarrassed by so many people from so many different angles you can't stop and now you're going to continue dragging your poo stained ass up the walls and all over the furniture until every single person gets tired of dealing with your ignorant, made up poo. 

Congrats. I'm done. Enjoy the little world you've created. You are the stupidest most insufferable person I've ever met on this forum. It's one thing to be wrong, which you are. It's another to create an entirely different world to do it from. 

Archived