• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Getting rid of Cam would be an astronomical mistake

KillaCamNewton

...before letting him even attempt to get healthy

i understand a lot is gonna ride on whether or not Cam wants to play in a contract year after essentially missing a full season. this is a huge caveat. but here is the reality

-franchise QBs dont grow on trees. there have been 14 QBs drafted in the 1st round since Cam's MVP season. How many of them would you actually take and be confident we could win a Super Bowl with? maybe 5? Watson, Mahomes, Wentz, Jackson and Murray? that's about a 35% success rate. how many teams bank of drafting a QB in the first round to turn the franchise around only to have to draft another one in less than 5 years? 

-one of the biggest reasons we have never had back to back winning seasons is because we have only had one true franchise QB in 25 years

-teams that don't have one will hover around 8-10 wins every year with a good defense and strong running game to support them, but they never really have prolonged periods of dominance (basically the entire Delhomme era)

-we really have nothing to lose by playing him next year and seeing if he's still got it - $20 million for a QB is a steal and we don't have to make any commitments until we know exactly what we still have. there is zero risk and a huge potential reward if he plays like he did the first half of 2018

-Cam is 30 years old. he's a genetic freak. this isnt a Kobe Bryant situation where he's in his late 30s and has 20 years of wear and tear on his body that cant be overcome. there is no reason to think he cant still give you another 5 solid years of play after taking almost a year to recover

-the last time we banked on an undrafted young QB to take over the reigns after showing flashes the previous season it ended in a 2-14 season. Kyle Allen has performed admirably, but he also has a lot of limitations and expecting him to come in next year and perform after coaches have had an entire offseason to scout and study him is a huge gamble. 

i think we all need to take a deep breath and realize we have physical specimen at QB who was playing at an MVP level just a year ago and is finally getting a chance to fully get his body right. at this point we arent picking in the top 5 this year and getting someone like Tua and again there is no risk to throwing Cam out there next year under a relatively cheap deal. Either Cam returns to early 2018 form and we have enough talent around him to make a legitimate run at a Super Bowl or he blows it and we can move on and decide whether we want to roll with Allen or take a guy like Lawrence or Fields. putting Cam into a 1 year trial run next year is not setting the franchise back 5 years like getting rid of him probably would. the goal is to win Super Bowls, we arent winning one with Kyle Allen this year or next year, the only way we are is with a healthy Cam. why get rid of the only hope you have of it when you dont even know whether or not he can get healthy or have to make any long term decisions past next year? next year is a trial run either way you look at it. It's either Cam's last shot at being the Panthers QB or Kyle Allen's audition for being the long term answer going forward. I think I, and a calculated risk taker like Tepper would much rather see if the aggressive fund has one more rally in it versus the slow and steady account

4 minutes ago, Wolfpack352 said:

I wonder.....just what if, we moved on and stumbled onto another great QB who has the skillset and mentality to lead Panthers to more wins, would it still be a mistake?  It has worked for other teams and i think you know who.

we very well could. why try to do it this year though before seeing if Cam is able to return to form though? it makes way more sense to evaluate it after next season when we have no financial obligations to Cam and we are in all likelihood picking better in the draft if Cam bombs next year too

All good points, but the stats show cam is typically terrible when he doesn’t run 8+ times a game. He needs the running threat to open up big passing windows because he can’t make accurate throws consistently. There is no way the coaching staff will continue to let him run that much at his age and with his injury history. 

I really think Tepper is going to move on.

fortunately the decision has nothing to do with astronomy.   no way he plays on a 1 year deal.   that would be stupid on his end when he can get a multi-year deal from someone else if he asks for a trade/release - which he will be granted.     it doesn't matter what you want, or want to see.  it will be shocking if plays under those circumstances next year

15 minutes ago, Wolfpack352 said:

I wonder.....just what if, we moved on and stumbled onto another great QB who has the skillset and mentality to lead Panthers to more wins, would it still be a mistake?  It has worked for other teams and i think you know who.

It's not exactly a guarantee that we find another great QB. They don't just grow on trees

What if I told you that the Cam you idolize so much no longer exists?  I mean the 2015 MVP version you guys keep referring to as coming back to take us to the promiseland.  He is a former MVP 4 years removed and hasn't been healthy for 3 seasons now.  At some point you have to let him go and find a new hero to worship.  The team apparently has come to that conclusion and no I don't not have a source for that statement.

There might not be a big risk to the franchise, assuming he’s been told the foot will heal and his shoulder is ok, etc. The question is whether Cam will risk his body and future earning potential for a one year deal at age 31. I think he’s here if he really wants to be, but it also will probably not make the most financial sense for him to be here if he can get a 3-4 year deal from a desperate team.   

9 minutes ago, Malt Liquor said:

When will anybody understand that if a team has a shitty offensive line it doesn't matter who your quarterback is. An all-pro line can make a mediocre QB look like a hall or famer....

No they can't. Sorry but that's just not true. An all pro line can give a mediocre qb all day to throw, but he still has to actually make the throws, and mediocre qb's by definition will do that at a less successful rate.

I would agree that a shitty offensive line can make a great qb look bad by not giving him time to throw. I think the braintrust in this team has for too long quietly engaged in a school of thought that because of Cam's size and athletic ability, they could get away with not dedicating enough resources into our O line to provide the kind of protection you want for a franchise qb.

Archived