• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kyle Allen more than holding his own with other 2018 drafted QBs

MVPccaffrey

4 hours ago, ellis said:

If you have followed along with us on Twitter today, you’ll see where I stand on Newton. But people tend to forget how bad it was early on in year 2 for Cam: 

Now let’s not bring rational context into this discussion.  
It will ruin the narrative of the people with an agenda.   

Some of the things that you need in your quarterback is a competitive spirit, the ability to lead others and take command. You need to show toughness and rally your team around you. You have to stand in the pocket and deliver the ball knowing you are going to get hit. You have to be coachable and learn from your mistakes. 

The whole athletic ability, arm strength thing is overblown.  You don't make it to the NFL unless you have a certain amount of talent. The differences between a franchisee QB and a bust are between the ears and in their heart. From what I see, Allen has the constitution and the head for it. The improvements will hopefully occur as he gets more game experience. 

9 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

It's still a little to early to say he's a franchise QB or a career backup. Right now, he's playing well above expectations and winning more than he's losing, throwing more TDs than interceptions, and having some problems with fumbles. 

He does, however, seem to have a certain poise that says the game isn't too big or fast for him and he seems to be learning how to pilot an NFL team on the fly. Not too shabby. 

He's our guy right now, and that's really all that matters. Start worrying about 2020 around March.

Kyle is a rookie learning on the job, he's not a veteran and certainly not a franchise QB and is unlikely to become one thus hang onto Cam for one more year! But if Kyle beats the Saints twice we can talk a little trading Cam to the AFC.  

9 hours ago, mc52beast said:

Holding his own against guys on that list isn’t a big accomplishment so let’s not act like it is.

Yes Kyle has exceeded expectations. most of us would have never said we’d be 5-4 after nine games with him starting. But he’s not playing like a “franchise” qb right now, not even close to it. He has played well against average teams and has struggled against better teams. Let’s see what he does in the next 7 games and then talk about what he is/isn’t 

For the most part, I think EVERYONE would agree with this statement no matter how they have labeled Allen. That's exactly what most of us think "fair" would be here. Definitely... Fair enough!!

5 hours ago, TheRed said:

Newton threw for just under 4k yards on 2012.

Allen is on pace to throw for maybe 3,000 or so yards. And that's if we actually start connecting on deep passes consistently the rest of the season.

It's too early to know Allen's ceiling. He's only 23. Again he is basically a rookie. The unfortunate aspect of it all is that Allen immediately took the reins after Cam and now both he and Cam are going to be compared endlessly for at least the next year until we truly know what we have in Kyle. In that regard I sympathize with Kyle. It has not been a great situation to have been thrown into.

Anyone who thinks his career is already written is not worth conversing with. That doesn't mean we ignore what's in front of us for the time being. We have to clean up the turnovers, and we have to start feeding our speed guys deep. There are things to be optimistic about right now all things considered. But if we fail to string together some wins to finish the season there will be very little in the way of goodwill from the fans next season and that's just the nature of sports. Especially for a franchise like the Panthers that has still yet to claim that elusive back to back winning seasons goal.

VERY GOOD point!! I think this sums it up about as well as it can be... Nice job!

9 hours ago, mc52beast said:

Yes Kyle has exceeded expectations. most of us would have never said we’d be 5-4 after nine games with him starting. But he’s not playing like a “franchise” qb right now, not even close to it. He has played well against average teams and has struggled against better teams. Let’s see what he does in the next 7 games and then talk about what he is/isn’t 

Just a small note... we are 5 and 2 with Allen.

5 hours ago, mav1234 said:

Allen has gone above and beyond what a UDFA backup QB is expected to do... which is flame out and totally suck.

That does not mean he is going to be a "franchise QB" by any means.  But it is dumb and unrealistic to pretend that because he isn't the second coming of Cam Newton he is a massive failure.

I'm happy we seem to have a solid backup at the least.

He is a backup but people are treating him like he’s a first round heavily invested first round pick.

12 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

He is a backup but people are treating him like he’s a first round heavily invested first round pick.

There are quite a few posters treating him like he should be playing at the level of a first round pick or even an experienced veteran.  Personally, the fact he is a UDFA makes a lot of this more intriguing to me and harder to predict.  Add to that he is one of the cheapest players on the roster, and I don't expect he is going anywhere regardless of anything else that happens next year.  That is by no means a promise he starts.  Simply that he is too cheap, and proven as a backup, to be let go.

4 hours ago, top dawg said:

I get that most people would love for Allen to be the heir apparent if Cam departs, but when your have to resort to mental gymnastics in order to make him appear more than he has displayed, that's usually a sign that deep down in your heart that you know what you're saying is based on your desire as opposed to reality. 

Allen is not playing by himself, and---I'm just gonna say it---our team had to work harder for wins not because of Allen, but in spite of Allen. And his turnovers finally got the better of us against a team that usually is lights out on offense. In other words, your can't make mistakes against offensive powerhouses and expect to win. Just the mere fact that we were in the game until the end says more about our imperfect defense still keeping us in a position to win than it does about Allen putting us into a position to tie after he buried us with turnovers. 

Allen is going to have to develop pocket awareness, make way better decisions and throw a more accurate long ball before I'm giving him any credence as anything more than a somewhat capable backup. 

Be serious. Sure Allen screwed up and cost us points and that needs to be cleaned up. But that comes with experience and repetition.  Literally every thing he does is for the first time.

Coming back with 2 long drives in the snow on the road in 20 degree weather was very impressive and showed fire and grit. Those are the characteristics that you need in a franchise quarterback, something Cam had as well. They hate to lose and let down their teammates. Look what his players said about him. They play hard for him. And isn't the best leader someone who can elevate the play of those around him.

12 hours ago, Saca312 said:

Let's not pretend some of those other QBs don't have suboptimal offensive conditions around them. Plus, QB rating is as big of a sham as completion percentage.

Kyle has done great playing above average of his expected value (backup QB) and keeping the offense afloat for the most part. 

However, he's not close to being a franchise QB. Let's not kid ourselves into thinking he is one right now. Will need to see him better his decision-making process, far less underthrown deep balls, and essentially get the rudimentary basics of an starting NFL caliber QB right now.

In all honesty Cam was not a franchise QB year one. No QB really is and they have to rely on the team around them. Cam actually had a good line, Steve Smith, Jeremy Shocky, and Greg Olson to lean on. Allen statistically has less talent. 

Archived