• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Underperformers: WR Corps

kungfoodude

Kyle Allen's year of bottom 10 QB performances have obviously been discussed at length as has his atrocious offensive line. Let's take a look at some stats for another underwhelming offensive group, our WR Corps.

Football Outsiders

Note: Moore and Samuel rankings are in the "Minimum of 44 passes" category, while Wright is in the "7 to 43 passes" category. 

• DJ Moore

Defense-Adjusted Yards Above Replacement(DYAR) Rank: 39th out of 66.

Defense-Adjusted Value Over Average(DVOA) Rank: 50th out of 66.

TD's: 52nd out of 66.

Catch Rate: 23rd out of 66.

• Curtis Samuel

Defense-Adjusted Yards Above Replacement(DYAR) Rank: 63rd out of 66.

Defense-Adjusted Value Over Average(DVOA) Rank: 63rd out of 66.

TD's: 18th out of 66.

Catch Rate: 60th out of 66.

• Jarius Wright

Defense-Adjusted Yards Above Replacement(DYAR) Rank: 86th out of 92.

Defense-Adjusted Value Over Average(DVOA) Rank: 73rd out of 92.

TD's:  50th out of 92. (This is a 42 man tie for zero, FWIW)

Catch Rate: 70th out of 92.

NFL Next Gen Stats

Note: These rankings also include TE's. 

• DJ Moore

Average Separation Rank: 93rd

Yards After Catch Per Reception Rank: 68th

Yards After Catch Above Expectation Rank: 52nd

• Curtis Samuel

Average Separation Rank: 93rd

Yards After Catch Per Reception Rank: 115th

Yards After Catch Above Expectation Rank: 103rd

• Jarius Wright

Average Separation Rank: 27th

Yards After Catch Per Reception Rank: 79th

Yards After Catch Above Expectation Rank: 118th

they pretty much suck.   we need somebody with some fight and ball skills.  ridley has the kind of game that's going to last a long long time.   we were too stupid to take him.   i mean why would we need a great route runner who can also catch the damn ball.   

yeah, gonna have to go with the fact kyle allen hasn't been able to hit them consistently when they're wide open. samuel and moore have both improved leaps and bounds and have been largely held back by allen's inaccurate throws and inability to progress through his reads.

trust me when i say if samuel or moore got traded to any other team, they'd have 1000 yard seasons easy.

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Curtis Samuel for all the hype he got in the offseason need to get much more aggressive. 

When Greg spoke about doing more than running around looking cool, I suspect it may be Samuel. 

I went back and rewatched the game in gamepass last night.

Another thing that stuck out to me.  The first Allen endzone int.  It was intended for Moore but was short.

Moore was within a few yards of the defender who picked it.

Moore just sat there.  Didnt even make a play on the ball nor made a play to make a defensive play.  His body language, he just looked disinterested.

This new WR coach is trash.

Curtis has immense talent. He's been hurt by Allen sucking but he hasn't been exactly tearing it up himself. I'm disappointed but im far from giving up on him. 

DJ has really improved this year

Next year with a new qb and new regime will be a make or break for them 

4 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

yeah, gonna have to go with the fact kyle allen hasn't been able to hit them consistently when they're wide open. samuel and moore have both improved leaps and bounds and have been largely held back by allen's inaccurate throws and inability to progress through his reads.

trust me when i say if samuel or moore got traded to any other team, they'd have 1000 yard seasons easy.

High bar, I know, but I’ve seen Steve Smith catch that last route many times with a safety bearing down on his ass. Moose, too. 

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

yeah, that doesn't explain lack of separation and piss poor fight for the ball. 

Agreed. I also feel that both, Allen being meh and WRs being underwhelming, can be true. Samuel and Moore have both improved and have made some great plays. Samuel’s TD catch against TB, I believe, where he went up and got an ill placed throw from Allen was amazing. I think it was the catch Baldinger said Allen places it perfectly (lol it was not). 

Archived