• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are we stuck with the base 3-4 because of Burns?

rodeo

We're staying 3-4 b/c Tepper will turn us into the Steelers way of doing things. He looks like he will take the process over any player in particular so yea Luke could be on the trading block or somehow try to do something with that elephant in the room. HoF 4-3 MLB but just swapped to 3-4...change is often uncomfortable...we may lose Cam and Luke which is going to make everyone do a Gettleman on Tepper for the short term I bet.

If we didn't have all the injuries our defense 4-3 players on paper look damn good...poo went to hell quick.

Good ol' TD was very similar to Burns back in '05. We drafted him as a Safety but switched him to outside LB. Became one of the quickest & best OLBs in the NFL (stupid '09, '10 & '11 seasons). He was a bit shrimpy his rookie season but managed to beef up later in years. I can see us doing the same with Burns.

I could see us using Spider Burns as a Weakside LB. Fast, quick & great at rushing the QB. Just need to beef up a bit.

We actually have bigger problems as a 4-3 than as a 3-4.  How many true 4-3 ends do we have?  Just Addison really.  Efe and Wes are super sketchy as full time starters.  We have a lot more talent available for the 3-4 if we're being honest.

But I don't think any one player dictates that.  I think you give all the coordinator candidates a chance to evaluate and ask them what they think as part of the hiring process.  Brian Burns will be a good player, just might need to add weight and learn a few new techniques.  Maybe not, maybe we go 4-3 and he turns into an amazing 4-3 backer that sometimes plays as a standup DE on obvious passing plays.

It's way too hard to find or draft true 4-3 DEs these days, theyre far too rare

Which is why smart teams are switching or already switched to 3-4

It's really just Luke who is an issue, no other long term starters aren't suited for a 3-4;  KK Short will be a post June 1 cut next year, he's getting into his mid 30s

3 minutes ago, rodeo said:

his presence on the roster seems like it's going to raise some issues going forward. our defense is undeniably built for the 4-3 and has been since the 90s. we switched to 3-4 seemingly on a desperate ploy to make something happen after Eric Washington failed to get anything out of the defense last year. so we drafted Burns to be our 3-4 edge rusher, and he's been really, really good.

so now that we can't stop the run because our transition to a 3-4 was rushed and clumsy, what do we do? even into next year. does our next head coach continue the transition, which means finding almost an entire new d-line across the board and probably 2-3 new linebackers? or do we go back to a 4-3, which our current roster is more suited to, but which leaves Burns in an awkward situation?

he's a 250 lbs speed rusher. i would certainly not want to rely on him to stop the run with his current skillset and physique. so do we ask him to put on 20 lbs and be a 4-3 DE?

if i'm Fewell i would switch to base 4-3 to ride out the season and see how Burns looks in it so the team knows how to evaluate going forward. i would also give Reid some looks at 4-3 OLB, which he excelled at in SF for 1 season before switching back due to their starting S's injury.

Burns in a 4-3 defense.  Now that is funny.  We could try to make him a stand up DE in the mode of LT.  Can he cover a running back or TE in passing routes.  Seems he has the speed but a 4-3 DE is a no unless we bulk him up but then he could lose his speed.

1 minute ago, cmichd said:

Burns in a 4-3 defense.  Now that is funny.  We could try to make him a stand up DE in the mode of LT.  Can he cover a running back or TE in passing routes.  Seems he has the speed but a 4-3 DE is a no unless we bulk him up but then he could lose his speed.

There is a long list of 4-3 DEs that maybe have just 5-10 LBs on Burns.  And he is a rookie. 

Not worried about Luke in a 3-4

People who have concerns need to watch tape and film.  Dude has had to take on more blockers and hits from OL than the rest of his career here combined

This is a result from the trash DL, much to do from injuries and lack of depth behind them. 

Archived