• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are we stuck with the base 3-4 because of Burns?

rodeo

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

There is a long list of 4-3 DEs that maybe have just 5-10 LBs on Burns.  And he is a rookie. 

If a RT or LT get their hands on him he doesn't have the strength to muscle or Bull Rush them back into the QB or to break free.  Well we could always use him as a gunner on Punt.

4 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Not worried about Luke in a 3-4

People who have concerns need to watch tape and film.  Dude has had to take on more blockers and hits from OL than the rest of his career here combined

This is a result from the trash DL, much to do from injuries and lack of depth behind them. 

MLBs in  a 3-4 generally do take on more blockers....

Anyway, why hamper your HOF MLB with more blockers when he doesn't need to?

4 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

Luke is going to be 29, we have to draft or develop a new quarterback and rebuild, by the time we're competitive he'll be in his mid 30s

And he's suffered many blows to the head and has other opportunities in life, I doubt he plays until his late 30s

If we're rebuilding from scratch, we can't center it around Kuechly in his 30s

As much we we all love him and what he's meant for this franchise, we should probably be looking to trade him to a team he can win a Superbowl with, and get some draft picks.  People are comfortable saying this about Cam Newton, but when it comes to Luke, suddenly it's heresy.

10 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

Only if your DL cant handle their guys.

Which ours havnt.  Good 3-4 defenses, the DL are able to hold up the OL with the 3 beefy DL while the MLB's are no different than a 4-3 and shoot the gaps.  Unfortunately there aren't many gaps, just giants walls slamming into the LBs after they trucked our DL.

Ours havnt.  Heck go back to the Greenbay game.  Jimmy Graham blocked Vernon Butler 1 on 1 successfully.  JIMMY GRAHAM!!

This isnt a scheme thing, this isnt a Luke thing.

This is a injuries and lack of deoth thing.

I think 3-4 is the way we should keep going. The look this year was dog poo because the Dline we put together and the personnel packages as I understand it. We need a true NT that eats blocks and we need better 3-4 DE play. I'm not ready to abandone the 3-4 yet, just abandon our soft approach. The balance of our D as a whole is fast but soft. Then there is out Safeties but I don't even want to think about that approach. 

17 minutes ago, bobowilson said:

Luke is going to be 29, we have to draft or develop a new quarterback and rebuild, by the time we're competitive he'll be in his mid 30s

And he's suffered many blows to the head and has other opportunities in life, I doubt he plays until his late 30s

If we're rebuilding from scratch, we can't center it around Kuechly in his 30s

As much we we all love him and what he's meant for this franchise, we should probably be looking to trade him to a team he can win a Superbowl with, and get some draft picks.  People are comfortable saying this about Cam Newton, but when it comes to Luke, suddenly it's heresy.

I didn't want to mention this before, but since you mentioned it, there was rampant speculation in our section that if this year ended poorly, Luke might decide to hang them up.

17 minutes ago, Shaqil915 said:

Yea I don’t think we’re in a 3-4 for a guy that had 13 snaps last game.

well yeah we made the switch before we drafted him, i'm just talking about where we go in the future. how do you transition away from it (if we intend to) without wasting him?

but if it's true as some people have said that the 3-4 comes from Tepper i guess the transition will be permanent and we'll need to get some proper 3-4 linemen. McCoy has been decent but we can't continue with Butler and Stacy McGee. even before KK and Poe went down our line sucked.

I'm not sure why everyone is losing their minds thinking the 3-4 is an inferior defense.  We just haven't been running it well.  We're not quite there with the personnel grouping for that formation.  Year in and year out there are plenty of teams that run a base 3-4 that have excellent defenses, just like the 4-3.  No formation is good when you're calling stupid plays.

26 minutes ago, rodeo said:

well yeah we made the switch before we drafted him, i'm just talking about where we go in the future. how do you transition away from it (if we intend to) without wasting him?

but if it's true as some people have said that the 3-4 comes from Tepper i guess the transition will be permanent and we'll need to get some proper 3-4 linemen. McCoy has been decent but we can't continue with Butler and Stacy McGee. even before KK and Poe went down our line sucked.

I would like to see some stats on how much we’ve actually ran the 3-4 this year, because if I had to guess from watching the games we’ve been in the nickel a majority of the time. I think our defensive woes more so stem from not having a true NT. Poe simply isn’t the Immovable anchor Star was.

As for BB, yes he needs to add a few pounds but he isn’t exactly a pushover In the run game. From what I’ve seen watching him he can rush with his hands in the dirt as well as standing up. Even if he doesn’t add weight he is a stud pass rusher, Ron just did not play him for whatever reason.

Archived