• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It's clear now that Tepper saw Rivera as the Problem.

Snake

2 minutes ago, Raleigh PF said:

His move to a 3-4 concept without proper personnel was just desperation. We should have seen it coming, really.

Some of us did. But I was told that because some guy eating Cheetos in his Moms basement said it was going to work. You know....”the experts”........LOL. 

1 hour ago, WarPanthers89 said:

He had to make the change. Even with “all the injuries” to our defense, we still had two solid safeties, above average corners (one who is about to be paid top dollar in league average), two of the best linebackers in the game, Gerald McCoy who was considered one of the better DTs is the league, former pro bowler Poe for the majority of the year, Addison who averages 9+ sacks year in and year out, one of the more promising rookies in the league in Burns, and Bruce Irvin.

1 hour ago, Mitchl13 said:

What talent? Rivera was working with back up quarterbacks, a bottom 5 o line, 1 middle of the road corner, 2 terrible cover safeties, an 80 year old TE, and 1 above average receiver.

It's like you guys are watching two different teams. 

The 34 thing was an absolute disaster. Again, if you go back and look at the Pats preseason game, they didn’t get a lot of yards, but they neutralized Luke with 21/22 personnel. They completely controlled the line of scrimmage. That concerned me a bit. Teams studied that, I would assume. And then, you saw a lot of that during the regular season. 49ers game. Packers game. Redskins game. Etc. 

People get emotional about Kyle, but the fatal flaw this year was the run defense. The inability to keep people off of 59 so he could flow and do his job. I do realize there were injuries. This was an issue before those injuries. The team was competitive. Hell, they were 5-3 after they blew out the playoff-bound Titans. 

I’m never a fan of taking good players and asking them to do something they’re not naturally fit to do. McCoy, Short, and Luke were not natural fits for those roles.

I’m still not completely sold the 34/gap control experiment was 100% Ron’s idea. I really do think he was asked to make some type of significant change, and this was one of the things he came up with.

14 minutes ago, ickmule said:

I’m gonna chuckle when Rivera takes those skins to the playoffs and they beat the panthers ass each year while he’s coaching there.  Rivera is a good coach.....it was time to move on, but the hate for him should stop.  I guess people are bitter because we are now left with an owner we are unsure of and a terrible GM. I think Tepper proves to be another meddling billionaire that can’t manage a sports franchise.  If I had his billions I wouldn’t have purchased anything, I’d have rode off into the sunset.  

For years you've been whining endlessly on this message board about how awful the Panthers are and always predicting losses week in and week out.

Suddenly Rivera is a good coach again?

Funny stuff.

7 minutes ago, trueblade said:

It's like you guys are watching two different teams. 

Look I understand we faced difficulties on offense...no denying that. Anyone who expected us to make the playoffs without Cam is sadly mistaken. This however was a prove it year for Rivera and he knew it. If we failed to win games and struggled on offense while really balling out on defense It would be a lot harder to justify the firing with 4 games to go. The problem is he pitched a plan to Tepper and his results were worse on defense with no signs of improving. Rivera was calling plays, and we were historically bad in Rivera’s area of “strength”. The way the league is set up now, if you don’t have an offensive minded head coach, you had better have a good defense. Ron had one of the worst in the league which is why we needed a change to an offensive minded coach.

39 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

So let’s unpack this... we win some games early with coaching and players loose key pieces to injury and finish a combined 3-15 because some GM didn’t prepare the teams depth...

I wonder who that GM could be that not only is providing mediocrity but outright failure. Failure to the owner, failure to the coaches, failure to the players and most of all failure to the fans.

It seems you are fine with failure. 

Why did we follow up 2015 with only 6 wins?

The Panthers hold the distinction as being only team in league history to nearly go undefeated and not even make the playoffs the following year. Who was the general manager that year again? You are under some sort of strange impression that because people are critical of Ron that means they want Hurney to keep being the GM. That's just false and laughable. But that's you and if you want to keep embarrassing yourself please proceed.

6 minutes ago, TheRed said:

For years you've been whining endlessly on this message board about how awful the Panthers are and always predicting losses week in and week out.

Funny stuff.

Glad it made you chuckle. :) 

If people can’t see this teams failure was from the top down I can’t help them.  Rivera is a good coach.....he’ll prove it in Washington.  

2 hours ago, Snake said:

With the retaining of Hurney and his extended power to retain players and search for a new head coach Tepper has made it clear. 

For one Rivera was not good enough for the talent around him. 

Secondly he was never going to be good enough to use the talent Hurney brings him. 

While no matter if you agree with it or not Hurney to save his job has convinced Tepper he is a draft guru and turn problems of the Panthers rest on the back of Riverboat Ron. 

Could be , my biggest concern with Ron was lack of player develoment

Ron has been the problem ever since we kept Shula after 2016. His game plan did not change at all from 2015-2016. He also kept Richard Rogers all those years and moved him around everywhere because he sucked everywhere. He refused to give promising young guys a shot over veterans who stunk up the field until that veteran git hurt. He refused to pick up the tempo of the offense when advances stats showed Cam and the offense ran better that way. He constantly took his foot off the pedal when we were up big only to be saved by Cam or Luke’s heroics. We had an amazing window wasted on a coach who refused to adapt. I somewhat wish we sucked in 2015 because he would’ve been fired for sure after that

1 hour ago, Deltek44 said:

You guys are in big..big trouble with this owner. Why? He is a meddler, he seems to have opinions and "sizes" football people up on his own based on his business knowledge. He thinks he is the smartest guy in the room, football people are going to find him over time insufferable. He is going to try apply his business expertise to the football operations.

Tepper "I want to mix the new analytics with old school football mentality". Sure those two types of philosophies aren't competing ideologies or anything.

He is knew and hasnt failed yet so most of you will blow off my comment but in 5 years you will realize that your best football is long gone and lost for ever because its the owner who is the problem. Most of us in DC had this realization a long time ago...sucks!

Really don’t see how he’s “meddling”. When he bought the team he had a vision of how he wanted it ran and what he wanted to see on the field. He’s going to hire football people and if he’s smart he’ll let them do their jobs. Don’t think you can compare Tepper to that nutjob Snyder.

1 minute ago, ellis said:

The 34 thing was an absolute disaster. Again, if you go back and look at the Pats preseason game, they didn’t get a lot of yards, but they neutralized Luke with 21/22 personnel. Teams studied that, I would assume. And then, you saw a lot of that during the regular season. 49ers game. Packers game. Redskins game. Etc. 

People get emotional about Kyle, but the fatal flaw this year was the run defense. The inability to keep people off of 59 so he could flow and do his job. Realize they were injuries. This was an issue before those injuries. The team was competitive. Hell, they were 5-3 after they blew out the playoff-bound Titans. 

I’m still not completely sold the 34/gap control experiment was 100% Ron’s idea. I really do think he was asked to make some type of significant change, and this was one of the things he came up with.

I couldn't agree more.  Furthermore, we beat the playoff bound Texans IN Houston.  We had enough pieces to be moderately successful and I think even with Kyle, this could have been an 8-8 or 9-7 team if Rivera had just left the 43 defense in place.  I know he "ran" it with the Chargers years ago, but they had drafted and built for that defense where we had not. 

The second fatal flaw was he should have brought in a defensive coordinator that bleeds the 34 'like' a Dick Labeau if he wanted to commit to it.  He kept his same staff and was trying to get them to teach our team a scheme they were not fluent in (except a couple FAs).  Talk about the blind leading the blind! 

So it seemed like a half-hearted stab at a scheme change trying to catch lightening in a bottle. I'm not sure if Rivera came up with the switch himself, but I'm thinking no.  It seemed like a desperation move to try to save his job.  He had long stated that sack numbers are over-stated.  Yet he changed to the 34 anyway in an attempt to get top the QB and yes, get the sack tally up.  We actually led the league in sacks this season, but that run D....woof!

17 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Funny stuff.

He just has to be the contrarian to everything. 

31 minutes ago, ickmule said:

I’m gonna chuckle when Rivera takes those skins to the playoffs and they beat the panthers ass each year while he’s coaching there.  Rivera is a good coach.....it was time to move on, but the hate for him should stop.  I guess people are bitter because we are now left with an owner we are unsure of and a terrible GM. I think Tepper proves to be another meddling billionaire that can’t manage a sports franchise.  If I had his billions I wouldn’t have purchased anything, I’d have rode off into the sunset.  

51 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

So let’s unpack this... we win some games early with coaching and players loose key pieces to injury and finish a combined 3-15 because some GM didn’t prepare the teams depth...

I wonder who that GM could be that not only is providing mediocrity but outright failure. Failure to the owner, failure to the coaches, failure to the players and most of all failure to the fans.

It seems you are fine with failure. 

Are you both related to Ron? Get off his fuging dick and understand how poo he was as a coach

- Missed plain injuries on players including our franchise QB that every person in the world could see

- mismanaged timeouts and 2 minute drives to the point when one was executed correctly it was considered a major win

- Promoted and hired his friends as coaches and position guys to no avail ignoring any actual coaches that could be on the market

- let teams come back every single game, rarely if ever did we finish a game with a lead without pussy zone to allow teams to charge back on us

- led historically bad defenses while blaming injuries while teams like the Eagles, Steelers etc continued to win despite injuries even on a down year for the division. 

- Had Cam Newton, Luke Kuechly and CMC to bail him out and win games imagine his coaching record without those guys try it won’t be pretty 

but please tell me how amazing he is as a coach

3 minutes ago, WoahW said:

Are you both related to Ron? Get off his fuging dick and understand how poo he was as a coach

- Missed plain injuries on players including our franchise QB that every person in the world could see

- mismanaged timeouts and 2 minute drives to the point when one was executed correctly it was considered a major win

- Promoted and hired his friends as coaches and position guys to no avail ignoring any actual coaches that could be on the market

- let teams come back every single game, rarely if ever did we finish a game with a lead without pussy zone to allow teams to charge back on us

- led historically bad defenses while blaming injuries while teams like the Eagles, Steelers etc continued to win despite injuries even on a down year for the division. 

- Had Cam Newton, Luke Kuechly and CMC to bail him out and win games imagine his coaching record without those guys try it won’t be pretty 

but please tell me how amazing he is as a coach

With all of your childish name calling and references to genitalia I’m shocked the mods let you post. Why you take all of this so personal is beyond me.  No one called out your mother.  

Archived