• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why the Bieniemy love?

AU-panther

First of all I'm not saying Bieniemy might not turn out to be the best coach of the bunch, I'm just curious for those of you want him the most what are you basing it on?  Don't give me this "leader of men crap".  I doubt any of you have actually been a locker room with him so at this point it is hearsay.

Speaking of leading he has never been a head coach at any level.  

The majority of his coaching career has been as a running back coach.  There is a reason a lot of college teams put their recruiting coordinator in that position.

He only has 4 years as a coordinator.

Two in college that were terrible, like almost last in the country terrible.

Two in the pros with a great offensive coach who calls the plays.  Granted those two are recent and highly productive but how much of that is him and how much is Reid.

His resume is clearly the worst of any of the potential guys we are looking at.  So here again if you like him the most what are some tangible reasons?

With all of that being said I don't think a great HC has to be a great coordinator.  A HC's job is to put his other coaches and players in position to be successful.  Being a head coach is more like being a CEO.  Some HCs can be heavily involved on one side of the ball or other, such as Reid, but guys like Jimmy Johnson I think were more in the CEO role and  he did pretty good.

I think the interview process and the talking to people around him will be the most important part of evaluating Bieniemy, because lets be honest the resume is weak.

People have lost their minds

Bienemy was offensive coordinator at the University of Colorado in 2012;  they went 1-11 and their offense was terrible.  So the only time he was ever given a chance to call plays, it ended in disaster.  The University of Colorado is not a terrible PAC-12 program and gets decent recruits, relatively speaking.

He was an atrocious offensive coordinator at college, so why would he be able to handle the NFL (besides laminating Andy Reid's playbook as a glorified RB coach).

I'm also concerned about his temperament given his long history of DUIs, arrests, incidents with assault, and getting into fights and heated confrontations with his players.

There is one tremendous upside to Bienemy

He's such a trainwreck of a potential HC hire, he would likely be the worst coach in the NFL, allowing us to possibly go 1-15 and draft Justin Fields in 2021.

If you're going to be bad, might as well be the worst;  but all of this is contingent on whether Cam Newton can return to form.

3 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

First of all I'm not saying Bieniemy might not turn out to be the best coach of the bunch, I'm just curious for those of you want him the most what are you basing it on?  Don't give me this "leader of men crap".  I doubt any of you have actually been a locker room with him so at this point it is hearsay.

Speaking of leading he has never been a head coach at any level.  

The majority of his coaching career has been as a running back coach.  There is a reason a lot of college teams put their recruiting coordinator in that position.

He only has 4 years as a coordinator.

Two in college that were terrible, like almost last in the country terrible.

Two in the pros with a great offensive coach who calls the plays.  Granted those two are recent and highly productive but how much of that is him and how much is Reid.

His resume is clearly the worst of any of the potential guys we are looking at.  So here again if you like him the most what are some tangible reasons?

With all of that being said I don't think a great HC has to be a great coordinator.  A HC's job is to put his other coaches and players in position to be successful.  Being a head coach is more like being a CEO.  Some HCs can be heavily involved on one side of the ball or other, such as Reid, but guys like Jimmy Johnson I think were more in the CEO role and  he did pretty good.

I think the interview process and the talking to people around him will be the most important part of evaluating Bieniemy, because lets be honest the resume is weak.

Well, most coaches aren't head coaches....until they are head coaches. Stefanski has not been a head coach, nor has Greg Roman and they are league wide hot candidates. 

What does him being a recruiting coordinator in college have to do with him not being a good candidate??? Or it seems you are implying that is the case. 

I don't know that I would agree that his resume is "clearly the worst" of the potential candidates. I do know that he comes from a coaching tree that is among the best in NFL history and that coach specifically stumped for him being a guy that is "ready."

I'm not even saying I am hyped about him specifically but I don't see why you have such a negative outlook on him versus the rest of the candidates. 

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't know that I would agree that his resume is "clearly the worst" of the potential candidates. I do know that he comes from a coaching tree that is among the best in NFL history and that coach specifically stumped for him being a guy that is "ready."

The 'coaching tree' meme thing is one of the silliest things casual NFL fans buy into it.

Andy Reid doesn't rub off on you like fungus, implanting his genetic material inside of you and making your brain grow epigenetically

I mean if this Andy Reid fungal infection is such a real thing, why not hire Dave Toub, who has been with Reid longer?   Why not hire Andy Reid's children?

The DUI is a scar and i assume he has learned from it. His fight was the result of being called a ni**er. He has addressed his yelling style and said he has toned it down. And who cares anyway.

He is a Reid disciple which is huge and he has developed one of the most dominant offense in  the league. Granted he has amazing talent so who knows how much is coaching.

2 minutes ago, Happy Panther said:

The DUI is a scar and i assume he has learned from it. His fight was the result of being called a ni**er. He has addressed his yelling style and said he has toned it down.

But had a shoving match with Travis Kelce this past season.

That doesn't really bother me though. I'd be fine with Bieniemy as our head coach.

20 minutes ago, bobowilson said:

The 'coaching tree' meme thing is one of the silliest things casual NFL fans buy into it.

Andy Reid doesn't rub off on you like fungus, implanting his genetic material inside of you and making your brain grow epigenetically

I mean if this Andy Reid fungal infection is such a real thing, why not hire Dave Toub, who has been with Reid longer?   Why not hire Andy Reid's children?

Marty Hurney loves Bieniemy and wants to hire him. 

27 minutes ago, bobowilson said:

I think they are in jail.

I agree that Bieniemy's lack of experience is a huge red flag. Most of his NFL coaching career has been as RB coach and during his limited time as OC in Kansas City he has not called any plays. In truth, I have the same fears regarding the newest interviewee, Kevin Stefanski. At least he does call plays as the Vikings OC, a position he has held for limited time.

6 minutes ago, Forty-Eight said:

Bc he has worked with Andy Reid and shown he can be successful with a Pat Mahomes

My cat could be successful with Mahomes, and it's not a particularly clever cat tbh

If we're just going to hire people associated with Andy Reid, why not go all out and hire Britt Reid (his son who is linebackers coach).  I mean people want to talk about coaching trees, you don't get much more rooted than being his son.  And Britt Reid doesn't have the history of failing as a college coordinator like Bienemy (whose team went 1-11 in the Pac-12).

Britt Reid for next Panthers head coach;  proximity to Andy Reid is the most important factor we should consider

https://www.chiefs.com/team/coaches-roster/britt-reid

BrittReid

50 minutes ago, bobowilson said:

People have lost their minds

Bienemy was offensive coordinator at the University of Colorado in 2012;  they went 1-11 and their offense was terrible.  So the only time he was ever given a chance to call plays, it ended in disaster.  The University of Colorado is not a terrible PAC-12 program and gets decent recruits, relatively speaking.

He was an atrocious offensive coordinator at college, so why would he be able to handle the NFL (besides laminating Andy Reid's playbook as a glorified RB coach).

I'm also concerned about his temperament given his long history of DUIs, arrests, incidents with assault, and getting into fights and heated confrontations with his players.

Chip Kelly was a college offensive mastermind and he was straight dog poo in the NFL.

He is a former player with a no bs type of attitude. He has been with one of the better offensive coaches in the NFL helping lead one of the most explosive offenses and a record breaking QB to 7 straight winning seasons.

Explain what is not to like about that?

Archived