• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

43 DE

stirs

Not drafting defense.  Period.

You HAVE to focus on the o-line.  Our QB(whomever it may be) needs a clean pocket and CMC needs lanes.  The defense will suffer but that's because Hurney is trash and Ron was a moron.  We cannot continue to sink high picks into a defense with multiple 1st rounders already.

No Defense.  FA backfills with minimal resources dedicated only.

1 hour ago, Woodie said:

I don't think Marty will be the one making those decisions. 

This is Rhule's team now, and if he wants to trade back for more assets, then that's what we will try to do.  Marty will have input, but it's clear that Tepper has given the keys to the team to Rhule, and is willing to provide him any resource he wants to build the team.

As much as id like to believe that Hurney was still resigning players to contracts before we even had our HC. Tepper also leaned on him a great deal with this coaching hire and "evaluating talent" is one of Hurneys strongest assets, id imagine he is still going to have a good amount of input with regards to who we draft

1 hour ago, BurnHurnBurn said:

Not drafting defense.  Period.

You HAVE to focus on the o-line.  Our QB(whomever it may be) needs a clean pocket and CMC needs lanes.  The defense will suffer but that's because Hurney is trash and Ron was a moron.  We cannot continue to sink high picks into a defense with multiple 1st rounders already.

No Defense.  FA backfills with minimal resources dedicated only.

Nah, it needs to be BPA at both lines. They are both terrible. We could block but we also have up 5-6 yards a carry this season. And with the contract situation, if we don’t address that now, it likely gets worse than that. Brown is my top choice followed by a string of Oline. But you don’t just ignore the defensive line. It’s just as big of a mess 

1 hour ago, Woodie said:

I think it gives us flexibility.  While we would all love to feel comfortable with Little at LT (I think Daley is just a solid backup), we don't know.  His entire season was negatively impacted by injuries, so we still don't know what we have in him.  And since Wirfs can play either side, we should be able to have some stability at OT regardless.  Also, Moton is in the last year of his contract, and while I think he's good, I don't think he's elite.  So, bringing in Wirfs protects us from Little not realizing his potential as well as the cap savings if we save by not paying out a big contract to Moton.   

And if Little does develop and Wirfs is the monster he looks like, then we could possibly slide Moton in at RG if they want to move on from Turner's contract (especially if he doesn't have a strong rebound this year).  Now, there is some projection here, but I really do think Moton would thrive at Guard.  So, re-signing him to play inside wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, IMO.  And quite honestly, I think Little could play inside as well.

So, the bottom line is that a guy like Wirfs gives us a lot of flexibility on the line...both roster wise, as well as cap wise.

the problem is we have a good RT and replacing him means that we have 2nd rd pick leaving after his last year as a rookie.  The whole regime change may make that the short term norm, but moving Moton only means he's gone next year.  I suppose he could do well at LT, and we pay him LT money and I'm fine with that.

But if we take Wirfs and Moton isn't very good at LT or Guard, he's going to get a very good offer from another team to be there RT.  So we lose a good OL.

It could be a good thing.  It could also be losing a valuable asset for nothing as well.

Let me know if you all think I am missing something:

This guy was a stud as a freshman, so he has consistency. As I watch his film as he matured, I did not see a lot of development in his feet and hands.  He simply overpowers--he has a bull rush and an inside rip, and he does get around the outside if he gets a step, but I am not seeing flex in the hips--and that may simply not be who this guy is.

I am not opposed to a DE who can pressure the qb and stuff the run---He may be a 8-sack guy, but he seems to be very disciplined in the run game.  He does not waste steps.  I would not be hurt because this is a bigger need than we realize---Addison is about 33, and the others are 3-4 OLB converts.  Why we signed Obada.

31 minutes ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

Thomas is good bit there as long as Marty is here he is not giving up on his boy Little.  I am just hoping either Brown or Okudah make it to 7. 

I do not think we should give up on Little unless there is a medical.  However, Little would be a solid G.

People in the draft sites are going to start talking about that DT at Mizzou, Jordan Elliot, rising up boards in the coming weeks and ppl here who aren't talking about him at all are going to pretend they loved him this entire time

I love draft punditry

(According to PFF he's a surefire first rounder and his film stacks up as just as impressive as Derrick Brown's, he's bound to make noise in the coming month like Jeffrey Simmons last year, happens every year with players)

32 minutes ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

Thomas is good bit there as long as Marty is here he is not giving up on his boy Little.  I am just hoping either Brown or Okudah make it to 7. 

I expect 2 QBs to go, which means that a need player will be there.  Wirfs is higher than Thomas to me--just not as experienced at LT---but if we do not go T,  Brown, Okuda, and Jeudy will be there. 

What nobody is talking about:  If Tua is there, do you pass on him?  I really do not see Cam here in the long term--build around a young QB.  I know this has been discussed and shelved, but it is still a thing.

Archived