• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Luke’s retirement + cap

Actionman0z

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

As posted above, that’s not correct. It’s just accounting for the cap. Just like I had to explain 50 times with Matt Kalil’s dead cap, we didn’t “pay” Kalil a dime after cutting him. We just only counted a small amount of the money we paid him against the cap so we had to charge the rest we already paid against the cap in 2019 and 2020. Same with Luke. We paid his last check in 2019, that’s it. We just charged the cap $11.8M less than what we actually paid him so now we have to put that difference on the cap. Luke is not getting any of that money because he already got it.

I wasn't going for a full explanation, just a basic one.

Another way to put it would be used cap that doesn't really benefit you right now.

1 hour ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I get your rationale but then teams would take advantage.

How would they take advantage? Teams would still owe guaranteed money if they cut a player. But if a player decides to retire early and is giving up on his contract 2 years before the agreed amount, the team shouldn’t have to pay him.

Im on the players side 90% of the time, but this is one occasion where the player isn’t holding up to his end of the deal and the team is being forced to front the bill anyway.

Its one thing if the player has an injury preventing him from playing. But if he’s medically cleared to play and just decides he wants to retire, I don’t see why the team should but forced to pay him anyway 

Archived