• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How would you rebuild?

AU-panther

2020: Trade down, accumulate future picks, build the O-line via draft. Suck at football. Don't spend $ in free agency.

2021: Get high 2021 draft pick based on football suckage, draft Lawrence/Fields. Spend remaining draft picks on building D-line, DB corps. Suck less at football. Don't spend $ in free agency.

2022: Get mid-range draft pick based on sucking less at footballz. Take BPA, fill holes via Free Agency. Compete for NFC South title/playoff bid.

2023: Get that Super Bowl ring.

Build the lines. Build the lines. Build the lines.......

This is a team game.  Known names may sell tickets, but the O-line wins games.   Building the line will bring consistency to the offense that no qb can on his own. This is a team game.

Doesn't matter which college qb you may be high on, without good protection, he will turn into David Carr.

39 minutes ago, TheRed said:

San Fran has a QB that can consistently get the ball downfield. They also have a three back run game that wears down defenses for 4 quarters.

The Titans are definitely impressive to be winning the way they are with Tannehill but even he is getting the ball downfield when he needs to. I mean what more needs to be said when Ryan Tannehill is world's better than the top two options we trotted out for most of 2019?

Raise the bar.

I am not saying Kyle Allen should be the guy. I’m saying that put him on the 49ers and that team is probably still in the playoffs.

It’s impossible to have the perfect team. But my point is, I don’t think it’s imperative to have an elite top level QB and win a Super Bowl. Garropolo has the arm talent of Andy Dalton from a few years ago but with a much better offensive coordinator. If we see the 49ers beat the Packers, that will just prove my point. No one is arguing Garropolo is better than Rodgers and never will.

pray someone is desperate for Herbert enough to trade up to seven with us.  Pick up an additional second and pick in the early teens. 

DL, OL, DL or OL, DL, OL first two rounds this year. 

Trot Grier out there this year to ensure the losses mount. 

Address pass rush and defensive backfield with free agency this year. 

Draft QB with a top two pick next year. 

Offensive and Defensive linemen allow skilled players to impact the game - positively, negatively or not at all. 

Trade back if it allows you to still land a plug and play LT. That was the achilles heel of the team this season. A young stud at LT allows Little and Daley to move around and fill out the gaps in the rest of the o-line. Except Paradis at Center. He needs to get his ish together. 

Bring in 2 run stopping DTs via draft and FA. Everything else will work itself out. 

We tend to forget how mediocre this roster was in 2015. Didn't even have a true #1 or #2 WR. Didn't have a pass catching RB. Secondary was filled with geriatrics. The difference is the oline (and a healthy Cam). They weren't great but they were solid - well until the Super Bowl, but I blame that on playcalling and lack of blocking scheme adjustments. 

Well, Luke isn't really replaceable. But an impactful MLB can be drafted day 2 or 3. Or late in FA. He won't be Luke, but we don't NEED a Luke if the lines are addressed early and often. 

3-year rebuild with Allen at the helm in the interim, if for no other reason simply because he is cheap and has been here. Peace to Cam, Olsen, Paradis, Poe and short. Perhaps Turner. Get picks for these guys if we can.

1.retain young talent at skill positions.

2.draft almost exclusively linemen.

3. Plan on drafting a QB in a year.

4. Stock pile cap for CMC resign and a handful of big FAs to plug holes in a year or two.

10 hours ago, SmartyHurney said:

Overpaying a runningback in the middle of rebuilding would be the number one thing not to do. It's just dumb.

CMC is not worth overpaying. Even in his "MVP" season we went 5-11. Runningbacks just aren't that important for anything beyond fantasy football.

I get the logic there, but CMC sells tickets and merch.  Those are important things for all NFL teams.  If you don't reward your best players, that sends a message.

Also, despite going 5-11, it's not all on CMC.  We have lots of holes on the roster.  Despite our HoF MLB, we were still one of the worst run defenses in the history of the NFL.  What that all on Luke?  CMC is a special talent, but this is the NFL - a team sport.

I do think that the lines are going to be the most important for us.  We have to keep a QB up right and knock them down.  We need to give CMC running lanes, and close them up for our opponents.  That should be where we spend our FA dollars and draft capital.

If Cam is here or not ... No moves on QBs

if Cam is traded, prepare the offense line for a top QB in 2021. Yes, draft a LT in the first round, with picks from Cam trade, take a Guard or/and a Center .... offense will be good in 2021

with the rest of 2020 draft picks work on DL and secondary 

2021 ... Justin Fields 

2022 ... we are back in the playoffs

Draft line heavy and replace anyone with a big contracts or didn't perform this year that you can, if not this year than by next year. Once we have a starting C and LT on the team draft a QB of the future and fill out any other spots along the way. No reason to bring in a QB until we get the lines worked out, that 5 year window to be competitive starts with the franchise QB on the cheap and there is no reason to begin that clock till we can protect him. We can probably pull this off but if Hurney is still here, it doesn't matter because the whole point of a rebuild is to win and not keep losing.

This is how I would rebuild this team this offseason. 

•Trade Cam to New England for the 23rd pick

•Package 7th, 23rd, 38th, and 2021 1st to Cincinnati for the 1st pick

•Draft Joe Burrow

•Cut Dontari Poe, Greg Olsen, Jarius Wright and Mike Davis.....along with the Cam Newton trade, we now would have around “60-65 million” in cap space.

•Let James Bradberry walk in FA. The money he is wanting is in the 14-15 million range. We really could split that and get us two decent corners this offseason.

•Re-sign Gerald McCoy for about 8 million a year. We have to because we have nothing after KK.

•Sign “Jack Conklin” to protect Joe Burrow long term. He should get aprx 14-16 million a year range. OL now looks like this. Conklin, Little, Paradis, Turner, Moton or you can swap Conklin and Moton. Pretty good. 

•Sign Jason Pierre Paul. It’s a pretty weak draft class and free agent class at the DE position. JPP is still playing at a high level. 

•Sign Sean Lee to help replace the Kuechly departure. Surprisingly, Lee played all 16 games in 2019. Again like DE, LB is a pretty weak class in the draft and in FA.

•Sign Hunter Henry to replace Greg. A rookie QB’s best friend is a TE. By trading for Burrow, we won’t be in a position to draft a top WR unless we get lucky and find a gem in the 3rd or 4th round. 

•Sign Eli Apple and Vonn Bell to replace Bradberry and Boston. 

QB=Burrow, Grier

RB=McCaffrey, Scarlett, Armah

WR=Moore, Samuel, rookie

TE=Henry, Thomas, Manhertz

OL=Conklin, Little, Paradis, Turner, Moton

DL=JPP, Short, McCoy, Burns

LB=Lee, Shaq, Carter 

DB=Apple, Reid, Bell, Donte

11 hours ago, SmartyHurney said:

Overpaying a runningback in the middle of rebuilding would be the number one thing not to do. It's just dumb.

CMC is not worth overpaying. Even in his "MVP" season we went 5-11. Runningbacks just aren't that important for anything beyond fantasy football.

Normally I'd agree with you on RBs being replaceable, but not in this scenario. CMC is arguably one of the best skill position players in the NFL who just happens to play RB. Not to mention when he hits FA, he will only be 25 years old. It's not like they would be extending an aging RB who is closer the the wrong side of 30. 

I'd tank and enter the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes.  Trade every player that isn't under a rookie contract for draft picks.  Trade back in this year's draft for as many picks as possible.  Hire someone other than Hurney to draft after the first round.  Hope to be loaded in 3-4 years.  This is essentially what the Rams did.  

Sadly, I'd probably trade CMC if you can get two first round picks.  

1 hour ago, MMA said:

This is how I would rebuild this team this offseason. 

•Trade Cam to New England for the 23rd pick

•Package 7th, 23rd, 38th, and 2021 1st to Cincinnati for the 1st pick

•Draft Joe Burrow

•Cut Dontari Poe, Greg Olsen, Jarius Wright and Mike Davis.....along with the Cam Newton trade, we now would have around “60-65 million” in cap space.

•Let James Bradberry walk in FA. The money he is wanting is in the 14-15 million range. We really could split that and get us two decent corners this offseason.

•Re-sign Gerald McCoy for about 8 million a year. We have to because we have nothing after KK.

•Sign “Jack Conklin” to protect Joe Burrow long term. He should get aprx 14-16 million a year range. OL now looks like this. Conklin, Little, Paradis, Turner, Moton or you can swap Conklin and Moton. Pretty good. 

•Sign Jason Pierre Paul. It’s a pretty weak draft class and free agent class at the DE position. JPP is still playing at a high level. 

•Sign Sean Lee to help replace the Kuechly departure. Surprisingly, Lee played all 16 games in 2019. Again like DE, LB is a pretty weak class in the draft and in FA.

•Sign Hunter Henry to replace Greg. A rookie QB’s best friend is a TE. By trading for Burrow, we won’t be in a position to draft a top WR unless we get lucky and find a gem in the 3rd or 4th round. 

•Sign Eli Apple and Vonn Bell to replace Bradberry and Boston. 

QB=Burrow, Grier

RB=McCaffrey, Scarlett, Armah

WR=Moore, Samuel, rookie

TE=Henry, Thomas, Manhertz

OL=Conklin, Little, Paradis, Turner, Moton

DL=JPP, Short, McCoy, Burns

LB=Lee, Shaq, Carter 

DB=Apple, Reid, Bell, Donte

I'm not convinced that would be enough to get the 1st pick.  At 7 Cincy wouldn't be guaranteed to get any of the top 3 QBs.

If we really want to trade up Tua is probably a more realistic target and even then I 'm not sure how feasible that will be.  Wouldn't surprise me if the Dolphins tried to go to 2 or 3, and they have a lot of draft capital to make it happen.

Archived